By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Can Nitendo lose this generation?

thekitchensink said:
Put it this way: if they stopped manufacturing Wiis this year, the closest competitor would still take nearly a year to catch up with them. So no.

Seriously.  For shizz.

Around the Network

What the thekitchensink and Imthelegend said.

@supermariogalaxy
MS already tried it, but PHAILED miserably.

@mitsuhide
As a developer would you do your game for A) a console with 50 million userbase and attachment ratio of 4 B) for a console with 25 million userbase and attachment ratio of 8 and developement costs twice as high versus console A.

With which one do you think that you have better chance to make money ?

@kopstudent89
Wii costed about 260-270 euros when it launched and now it costs 240-250 euros. But this might have something to do with dollar weakening some much.

Nothing's cheaper than something free.

F1 vs FOTA, when too much power is in couple peoples hands.

---------------------------------------------------------------

well.....this shouldn't even be talked about until the PS3 or 360 start outselling the Wii WW again. Last week was a really slow week for the Wii (because of Brawl) and yet, the Wii still outsold the PS3 and 360. So, no, and with each passing week, the chances of a comeback become slimmer and slimmer (as the gap increases)

They could. It's just very very unlikely.

I'd give it a combined 15% chance... and i think i may be being generous.

yes they can, and yes they will I think. Well...not lose but come second to the PS3. Once PS3 is cheaper it will be the best deal ever, Game player/blu ray player/music player, etc. etc.

Nintendo is the hot ticket item now, but I still believe its a fad. Its only a game system so only gamers will buy it, while the PS3 is a Game/Video player so people will buy it not only for games but for movies. This applies to a larger audience.

PS3 will win because it has the movie playing ability as well as just games. Plus the games are better.

I'm back...

Around the Network
HappySqurriel said:

If you're being realistic with your worldwide hardware predictions the worst case for the Wii at this point in time is still much higher than the best case for the PS3 or XBox 360; this doesn't mean that it is impossible for the XBox 360 or PS3 to pass the Wii but it is very unlikely at this point in time.

I don't think anyone is foolish enough to be predicting a reversal in the market in 2008 so you have to consider the outcome of the Wii leading the market (by a wide margin) through out 2008. As of today, the XBox 360, PS3 and Wii have a similar number of announced third party games with intended 2008 release dates; when you factor in the quantity of games for the PS3 and XBox 360 that were delayed from 2007 (into 2008), and the very limited number of titles for 2008 release that were announced for the Wii a couple of months ago, it starts to become clear that the quantity of support for the Wii is growing (and is/may soon be much larger than than the PS3 or XBox 360). If the Wii continues to lead through 2008 it might end up with a dramatically better third party line-up in 2009 which will prevent any rapid comeback by the PS3 or XBox 360 in those years ...

Even if 2008 represents the peak of sales for the Wii, the lead that it will have built by the end of the year will take several years for the PS3 and XBox 360 to make up being that it will continue to sell at a decent rate until (at least) 2011 ...

Except of course for Isuppli....

On topic: It's numerically possible for Wii to lose, but certainly not probable.  IF blu-ray really, really takes off in the next couple years then the PS3 has a chance.   Nothing short of a miracle could put the 360 on top. 

Nintendo's biggest threat comes not from Sony or MS directly, but from successful copy-cat console(s) hitting the market and stealing market share away while the PS3 continues to grow.  But even then it's unlikely they wouldn't finish first.

Maybe... but it will take a lot of things to happen for them to lose there lead.

Need people to play online with me for Brawl.
4382-1731-1511.

Name is DROAK.  

London_Calling said:
yes they can, and yes they will I think. Well...not lose but come second to the PS3. Once PS3 is cheaper it will be the best deal ever, Game player/blu ray player/music player, etc. etc.

Nintendo is the hot ticket item now, but I still believe its a fad. Its only a game system so only gamers will buy it, while the PS3 is a Game/Video player so people will buy it not only for games but for movies. This applies to a larger audience.

PS3 will win because it has the movie playing ability as well as just games. Plus the games are better.

ok - the "best deal" idea won't work. First of all, u can buy BR players cheaper than a PS3 now. Also, most ppl don't use a PS3 as a music player. and the other stuff is really useless. You want an example???? Look at the PSP. Look at how much stuff it can do. And then look at it's sales compared the the DS. DS is pwning the PS3!!!!! What can the DS do other than play games? NOT MUCH!!! Yet, it's still winning. The "jack of all trades" will not beat the "master on one". 

U called it a "fad". Well then, the PS2 is a FAD TOO!!! look at the sales now!!!! What a fad!!!! OMG, the PS was a fad too!!!!! what? it's not selling anymore??? pssss........a fad!!!!!

Again, most ppl will not buy a PS3 just for a movie player when there are many cheaper on the market. Do you see ppl buying a PS2 just for a DVD player???? and as for "the games are better" - appearently the public thinks otherwise. I wonder who has the highest rated game of this generation? Who has the most million sellers? Who has the biggest franchise? Who consistantly outsells the comptetition on both hardware and software??? Answer those to find your answer.  

can they lose? heck yes, anything can and does happen in the business world. Will they lose? Probably not. Basically, if they keep on keeping on, they will walk away with this gen. Although I would love to see the PS3 dominate, I just don't see it overtaking the Wii. (Also, I really don't care if Nintendo wins as long as M$ gets shoved in the mud)

Not trying to be a fanboy. Of course, it's hard when you own the best console eve... dang it

I think it is possible for them to loose but it would mean demand dropping this year to at least half the current levels and never ragaining momentum, This would also have to be coupled with a clear leader between PS3 and 360, by Clear i mean selling at least twice what the other is selling each and every week.