By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Dad lets daughter die, rather than be touched by 'strange' rescuer

mornelithe said:
contestgamer said:

Cultures are all equal, you can't rag on someone elses culture, no culture is perfect. Everything we consider "decent" or "right" is just a human construct anyway.

Yes I can.  I just did.  A culture that allows that is stupid, and deserves to be forgotten.  No shit it's a human construct.  Without the human brain, there would be no need for Decent, or Right and morality wouldn't exist.

Thats like your opinion man. I get it, you disagree with some elements of his culture - so do I by the way. But neither you nor I need to be a part of it. However it's not your business to want to punish someone that did something according to his culture that you disagree with and that doesn't personally effect you. Your opinion of morality, right and wrong is just that - your opinion, but you're making judgements here in a way that would make it seem like you'd want to shove that opinion down other peoples throats. There's nothing wrong disagreeing with his decision, which was made based on his cultural understanding - the problem is you pratically want to outlaw and punish the guy for it.

Around the Network
contestgamer said:
mornelithe said:

Yes I can.  I just did.  A culture that allows that is stupid, and deserves to be forgotten.  No shit it's a human construct.  Without the human brain, there would be no need for Decent, or Right and morality wouldn't exist.

Thats like your opinion man. I get it, you disagree with some elements of his culture - so do I by the way. But neither you nor I need to be a part of it. However it's not your business to want to punish someone that did something according to his culture that you disagree with and that doesn't personally effect you. Your opinion of morality, right and wrong is just that - your opinion, but you're making judgements here in a way that would make it seem like you'd want to shove that opinion down other peoples throats. There's nothing wrong disagreeing with his decision, which was made based on his cultural understanding - the problem is you pratically want to outlaw and punish the guy for it.

Yeah sorry, I said the culture, not any particular individual, nice try though.  You can sit here and make excuses for abhorrent behavior, based upon cave men mentality, but I will not. 

mornelithe said:
contestgamer said:
mornelithe said:

Yeah sorry, I said the culture, not any particular individual, nice try though.  You can sit here and make excuses for abhorrent behavior, based upon cave men mentality, but I will not. 

This. We should be okay with a father letting his daughter die, without even trying to rescue her himself, just because that's his culture ?

We should place culture above human lives ? Eff this.

Just because you have an opinion doesn't mean you are necessarily right.

Dadrik said:
mornelithe said:

This. We should be okay with a father letting his daughter die, without even trying to rescue her himself, just because that's his culture ?

Eff this, indeed.

Ka-pi96 said:
contestgamer said:
mornelithe said:

In some cultures they eat other people, so I guess we shouldn't outlaw that either right?

Oh and I think intentionally preventing people from saving someones life is already illegal, so it wouldn't even be outlawing anything since it's already outlawed...

That someone is his daughter, so it really shouldn't be anyone elses business, including the law, since it is his family's business. That familly is implicitly compliant with his culturally infoluenced behaviors based on their choice to associate with him.

Around the Network
Dadrik said:
mornelithe said:
contestgamer said:
mornelithe said:

It's his daughter, so it's not a case of him imposing his cultural beliefs on outsiders - his daughter, wife etc would be implicitly supporting his right to make these decisions by associating with him.

mornelithe said:
contestgamer said:
mornelithe said:

No, cave man mentality is actually what you're displaying - which is that anything that doesn't fit with your mental construct of right and wrong is by definition is wrong. The alternative is to not impose your constructs on to this family and let them make decisions for themselves, so long as they're not making decisions with the goal of imposing that culture on you.

Ka-pi96 said:
contestgamer said:
Ka-pi96 said:

In some cultures they eat other people, so I guess we shouldn't outlaw that either right?

Oh and I think intentionally preventing people from saving someones life is already illegal, so it wouldn't even be outlawing anything since it's already outlawed...

That someone is his daughter, so it really shouldn't be anyone elses business, including the law, since it is his family's business. That familly is implicitly compliant with his culturally infoluenced behaviors based on their choice to associate with him.

I think the daughter, who at 20 is an adult and entitled to her own decisions, should take priority over whatever he thinks and considering she was screaming for help it's safe to assume she didn't agree with what her father was doing...

I agree with that. I was about to reply with something along those lines. She's 20 and she's a not a possession of her father's. He's guility of wrongful death at least in my opinion.

contestgamer said:

Sorry, the one person whose opinion matters is HERS, and he took that from her.  As I said, you can cover for cave man mentalities, but I will not.

contestgamer said:

No, cave man mentality is actually what you're displaying - which is that anything that doesn't fit with your mental construct of right and wrong is by definition is wrong. The alternative is to not impose your constructs on to this family and let them make decisions for themselves, so long as they're not making decisions with the goal of imposing that culture on you.

Haha, yeah, I'm sure you'd like what you just said to make any kind of sense, except that it's pretty well known that throughout history, the men have made the decisions for the women (a fairly big social issue at the moment).  So, not only are you attempting to rewrite history, you're literally attempting to write the exact OPPOSITE of history.

Pathetic.