By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Windows 10 Forced Updates Causing Endless Crash Loops

The patch in question is KB3081424 (ironically enough a roll-up of bug fixes) and during its update process affected users find it fails and triggers the message: “We couldn’t complete the updates, undoing the changes.” Undoing them results in a mandatory system reboot, but as soon as the user logs back on Windows 10’s update process kicks in and tries to install KB3081424 again.

I’m sure you’re way ahead of me here, but since Windows 10 updates cannot be stopped KB3081424 tries to install over and over again which leaves systems caught in endless reboot loops.

Why wouldn’t KB3081424 eventually install correctly? Because the initial failed install has been found to create a bad entry in the Windows 10 registry which stops its subsequent attempts to reinstall from working correctly.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/08/08/windows-10-forced-updates-causing-endless-crash-loop/

Around the Network

I was able to download it with no problems :P

Bets:

(Won)Bet with TechoHobbit: He(Techno) says 10 million by January 1,2014 I say 9 million by then. Winner gets 2 weeks of sig control.

(Lost)Bet with kinisking: I say Ps4 will win April NPD while he says Xbox One will win it; winner gets 1 week of avatar control.

Raichu's First Series:

First RPG?

First Fighter?

First Racer?

First Shooter?

First MMO?

First Horror?

Official Ni No Kuni Fanboy:

Familiars Captured:37

Game Beaten: 2 times almost

Times I got teary during some scenes: 3

Ka-pi96 said:
Aren't forced updates a great idea?

Glad I decided to wait before getting Windows 10, hopefully they'll disable this before then.

Yes Windows ten seems great but I am glad I waited, i don't like the forced updates.

I seem to have no issues either! But you can "Defer updates" for months if you have the pro version

Watch this be a marketing tactic by MS in order to get home users to upgrade :P

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

I'll be letting the betatesters bugtest W10 properly before I use my free upgrade After all, I have a year.

W8 works just fine for me, my only gripe with it was the lack of a start menu, but then I downloaded the classic start plug-in, which gives you a W7-esque start menu, and since then, I've never had any issues with W8 :-3

Around the Network

While Microsoft has released a tool that you can use to block bad updates, it doesn’t seem to work in this case. Fortunately there is a workaround.

The problem appears to be caused by the failed install writing a bad entry to the Windows registry, and this, in turn, prevents the update from installing the next time it tries. To get around this issue you have to delete some registry keys.

Click Start, type regedit, and hit enter to launch the Windows registry editor.

You should backup the registry before proceeding, just in case making the following changes causes you problems. Highlight ProfileList, right-click, select Export and enter a backup name.

Once backed up, navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindows NTCurrentVersionProfileList

With that done, Scan through the ProfileList IDs. Ignore the ones ending in 18, 19, and 20. If you have two or more entries starting with S-1-5-21, then this fix may work for you. If you only have one entry that begins with S-1-5-21, then this fix won't work, and you'll have to try something else. Click on ProfileImagePath for each of the S-1-5-21 entries, and look for users that no longer exist in the registry. If you're not sure which users are valid, click Start, type Computer Management and hit enter. Under Local Users and Groups browse the list of Users. Delete any of the S-1-5-21 keys which shouldn't be there. As with any registry editing, make sure you only delete something if you're comfortable it's safe to do so.

Close regedit and reboot.

Afterwards (or instead of) you can try manually installing the update from:

x86

x64

You can find out more about the error, and possible solution here.

http://betanews.com/2015/08/10/windows-10s-forced-cumulative-update-kb3081424-causing-endless-reboots-but-there-is-a-solution/

Easy solution!

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

Yep, still glad i haven't upgraded from Windows 7.

AbbathTheGrim said:

-solution-

So, people have been telling me that the general user is too dumb to realize how important it is to update their systems , yet the solution offered for the problem at hand is supposed to be easy for them?

and how hilarious is it that the friendly method MS offered to stop some updates from being installed, which lots of you argued it was a good enough solution, doesn't even work in this case? Very funny.

Hmm, that's concerning.

I still plan to upgrade later this week.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

I upgraded to Win 10 within the first 4 days of it being released and i've had zero problems with it. Guess it depends on what kind of computer you have? :/