By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Is third time lucky going to work for Microsoft?

Microsoft entered the console market last generation with the Xbox as you all know.  They posted respectable sales numbers, ignoring the fact that they knew nothing about how to run the console business model.  That said, respectable sales are not the same as good sales.

What the Xbox did manage to do was set the Xbox 360 up for better sales! In the USA the Xbox 360 is now a very viable console.  Microsoft also learned the value of regional content in Japan (which resulted in limited, though definitely real increases in success there).  What Microsoft failed to learn in time, but have now learned this generation, is the neccesity of casual content.  In Europe, the second Xbox has received a very large increase in sales, though this is less significant due to the first consoles rather dismal performance in the EU.

But Microsoft's 360 has done VERY well in the USA and made significant gains in the EU.  Whilst Japan sales have been less than stellar, Microsoft is now relevant there, especially in terms of developer support.  All in all, with respectable sales in the EU, developer support from Japan, and a strong fanbase in the USA, the Xbox 3 will be in a relatively strong startup position.

Does anyone believe that Microsoft will continue to expand its userbase in the next console generation?  Anyone think they will win it?  Will they do a Nintendo and go from mediocrity to domination, or do a Sony and go from (relative) domination to the basement? 

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Around the Network

I don't think MS have a hope in hell of winning any console generation!

Without any type of Japanese uptake and EU being pretty Pro-Sony the Xbox only has the US really, and i doubt they can win on that alone!

I think that it will always be between Sony and Nintendo for the top-spot, but thats just my opinion :D

No, I don't think so.

I love my XBOX 360, but I will go out on a limb and say that if Sony and Nintendo came out at the same time that they'd be in third place. Their 10 million head start was only because of the year lead.

If they come out early, they may be in second, but I don't think so.

I see Microsoft in third until they can garner support in Japan.

Microsoft has already seen a marked improvement in Europe generation-over-generation. I reckon with just mediocre sales in Japan (but good dev support) a console could win a generation based just on NA and PAL.

Squall_Leonhart said:
I don't think MS have a hope in hell of winning any console generation!

Without any type of Japanese uptake and EU being pretty Pro-Sony the Xbox only has the US really, and i doubt they can win on that alone!

I think that it will always be between Sony and Nintendo for the top-spot, but thats just my opinion :D

I remember thinking that about Sony before the PS1 release. I thought it would be another fight between Nintendo/Sega like in the 16bit days and look what happened.

Hell I thought the PS3 was going to own every other console this generation (a la the PS1/PS2) and look what happened... 

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.
Me since the games were revealed, the fanboys since E3."

Skeeuk: "playstation 3 is the ultimate in gaming acceleration"

Around the Network

I don't think they can win, but their support in Japan will increase, but still not to the same levels of PS and Wii. Their purchasing of Japanese studios should help, and the Lost Odyssey series should help. However, they will improve outside the US, and I suspect they will see over 50m console sales next generation, with only 40-60m (most likely around 45m) and I think they will repeat their first out of the blocks tactic, though this time they will have much better hardware

smbu2000 said:

I remember thinking that about Sony before the PS1 release. I thought it would be another fight between Nintendo/Sega like in the 16bit days and look what happened.

Hell I thought the PS3 was going to own every other console this generation (a la the PS1/PS2) and look what happened...

What happened was exactly what Sony said would happen!!! Five million fools bought in when the price was $600 and the console had no games.

I don't think Microsoft will come out with another system unless they can do it for around 299 launch Price.

What happened to PS3 should be a lesson to all. Launch late with a high price is a horrible formula. If it wasn't for PS brand name, it wouldn't have survived until now.

What Microsoft needed to do is expand their demographics...(more games for younger audience) and make their console reliable. That will give them a good chance at winning next gen.

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)

"will they do a sony and go from domination to the basement"

are you fucking kidding me? im seriously tired of your threads and posts bashing the ps3.

and i dont think ms can expand its userbase. the same americans will pick up a 360, and it might sell well in europe. you have to remember all the ones who got screwed by MS and still have that painful image of the rrod in the back of their heads.

@smbu

It is a little different with the Xbox and PS though, the PS is Japanese so they are always going to embrace it, to a lesser degree this gen but it is still selling, whereas the 360 is showing increased sales from the last Xbox but the Japanese will never embrace it to a high degree due to the fact it is American!