By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Do you think Microsoft will ever use the "cloud" to make all games 60 fps?

Seems like a no brainer to me considering how the cloud is handling a lot of destruction in Crackdown 3. However, I don't know how it will work out for Microsoft financially. Microsoft cloud works dynamically so it will only use as much power as needed. I was playing the witcher 3 the other day and its a great game and all, but it has some fps problems in certain areas. Let me know what you think. I just hope it doesn't have fps drops if the cloud can do it (60 fps with drops is worse than 30 fps lock).

Around the Network

If that's the case then they should've implemented the 'always online' policy.....which is a bad thing

If they can make it work, I don't see why not. It'll be great for those who can utilize it, but you have to remember not everyone has a great connection or a connection at all.

It WILL be crazy to see what can be done when the world is completely plugged in and speeds/latency aren't an issue, though.

As far as I know, the cloud is only capable of rendering a small of the game, and it only works when the system is constantly connected to the internet. Crackdown 3's destructive only apply to it's MP component. I don't think it's physically possible to see boosts is resolution or framerate, and even if it could, you would never see it unless you were playing via the cloud.

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon

no. because fps are way more ping sensitive than computing physics..

it would not work like the crackdown cloud computing
it would work in a world, where every1 got a 20ms ping and 100mbit/s Connection, though

i got a ~15 ping most time, when i paly cs:go
but my ping to azzure server is already above 50

Around the Network

That's not how cloud computing can help.

DialgaMarine said:
As far as I know, the cloud is only capable of rendering a small of the game, and it only works when the system is constantly connected to the internet. Crackdown 3's destructive only apply to it's MP component. I don't think it's physically possible to see boosts is resolution or framerate, and even if it could, you would never see it unless you were playing via the cloud.

It should boost fps. If you check this video, it is able to handle a lot of resource. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECsbaO1XGBU. The only issue is will Microsoft be willing to do this? Im tired of seeing fps drops in certain games. It is very annoying. Shouldn't even take that much resource.

To other end of that slippery slope is just OnLive. Which was a spectacular failure, I'm lead to believe.

Frame updates happen all the time and are almost real-time. Environmental destruction does not. If I were to guess, I'd say the requirements for the two are very different, and frame updates are more demanding in the long run.

Snoopy said:
DialgaMarine said:

It should boost fps. If you check this video, it is able to handle a lot of resource. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECsbaO1XGBU. The only issue is will Microsoft be willing to do this? Im tired of seeing fps drops in certain games. It is very annoying. Shouldn't even take that much resource.

Even if it can, it would require a console that is always online, and we already know how people have reacted to that. Cloud servers aren't some magical fairy dust. 

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon