By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How much will it cost you to pirate games? Handheld version

kingofwale said:
leo-j said:
kingofwale said:
leo-j said:
Did you know that GTA liberty city stories is only 340mb of space on ur MS? Its pretty wierd, since its such a huge game.

No I didn't, show me a proof.

Sorry its about 583 mb, I cant really post it here or I'll be breaking a rule.

about 600mb seems more reasonable, Although compressing ISOs is a baaad idea when it comes to open-ended games like GTA. Also, GTA is what i consider first gen PSP games. Current Gen PSP games are no doubt bigger. I have no doubt future PSP games will push the 1.6GB UMD limit.

>First off, I don't think you need a 4GB memory stick and you're going to need a memory stick for your PSP regardless of whether you steal games of not

why would you get a 4GB memory stick if you don't steal games? I'm perfectly happy with my 32mb stick that game with my system. 

All you do is gaming? I listen to music, go on the internet, and watch dbz on the psp. I have a 4gb memory stick. 32mb is not enough for firmware updates either.

mM
Around the Network
kingofwale said:
Million said:
The cost of modding your PSP is dependant on the PSP you have , you could "mod" it for free.

You don't "need" a 4GB to download PSP games , You could manage 3 or 4 PSP games on a 1GB ( you'd have to take stuff out Music, Movies etc).

You also don't "Need" a UMD in drive to play an ISO , this varies with games I think.

You could play downloaded PSP games for around $20.

and you could just try to steal games at Gamestop. What are you trying to say here? Sure you can always nitpick everything on that list, but when it comes to FAIR comparison under the situation that was clearly listed in my first post. That's the normal cost.

Also, have you seen how big some PSP games are?

The comparison wasn't fair because you have no realistic idea of how much it cost's to pirate games on the PSP , $20-$45 is the average price you'd spend , i'd know ,everyone in my shool does it. And it's true there was no real purpose in me demonstating how cheap PSP piracy could be but then what's the purpose of this whole thread ? Exactly. 
Some PSP games are big but it doesn't mean you have to download the whole game , you can take out languages , cut scenes , music , maps etc it probably will degrade the experience but you still get the game.

leo-j said:
kingofwale said:
leo-j said:
kingofwale said:
leo-j said:
Did you know that GTA liberty city stories is only 340mb of space on ur MS? Its pretty wierd, since its such a huge game.

No I didn't, show me a proof.

Sorry its about 583 mb, I cant really post it here or I'll be breaking a rule.

about 600mb seems more reasonable, Although compressing ISOs is a baaad idea when it comes to open-ended games like GTA. Also, GTA is what i consider first gen PSP games. Current Gen PSP games are no doubt bigger. I have no doubt future PSP games will push the 1.6GB UMD limit.

>First off, I don't think you need a 4GB memory stick and you're going to need a memory stick for your PSP regardless of whether you steal games of not

why would you get a 4GB memory stick if you don't steal games? I'm perfectly happy with my 32mb stick that game with my system.

All you do is gaming? I listen to music, go on the internet, and watch dbz on the psp. I have a 4gb memory stick. 32mb is not enough for firmware updates either.

Well, I use my 8GB IPhone as my music/video device. It both has more features and better programs. I like to keep my PSP for gaming only. That way, I can listen to music while playing PSP games.

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)

Well the PSP...
USB connector cable: 5 bucks
Thats about it, if you have a low enough firmware
Add on 20-30 for a memory card if you don't already have one, meaning for less then one game you can play all games (if you just get to the firmware menu you can turn off needing a game in the UMD slot).

Also if you need the GTA game to drop the firmware, GS has a 7 day no questions asked return policy for used games, so that won't cost you a thing.

UBISOFT BOYCOTT
kingofwale said:

Alright, this will be a matter-a-fact comparison in term of cost between PSP and DS. The Assumption is the owner has no knowledge of modding itself and the goal is to have mininal risk of bricking the system itself and to have top games (5 each) from the system for free.

*note, I do not include fees for internet connection*

PSP games: God of War, Lumines, Patapon, Jeanne D'Arc and Crush.
Total ISO space: around 3GB.

Cost of PSP modding: $20
Cost of Memory stick 4GB: $50
Cost of 1 UMD that is required to be in the UMD drive: $20

Total cost: $90

DS games: Super Mario, Mario Kart, Pokemon Pearl, Professor Layton and Nintendog.
Total ISO space: less than 512MB.

Cost of R4: $40
Cost of 1GB MicroSD: $10

Total cost: $50

Draw any conclusion you please.

1 . you dont need a 4 GB stick , especially not if its a high-speed card .

2 . why the hell do you need a moding charge , when you can do it even for the slim alone ??? 

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Around the Network

Regardless of the nitty-gritty details of the price, I don't think a price difference as small as this actually makes a big impact on piracy ...

In contrast, consider what piracy would cost on the PS3 if a mod-chip existed:

• Mod-Chip: $50
  • Blu-Ray Burner: $500+
  • Writeable Blu-Ray disc (per game): $20+

Unless you're stealing a lot of games it is so impractical to steal PS3 games (using the same approach as the PS2/Wii) that no one would bother to try to ...

> 1 . you dont need a 4 GB stick , especially not if its a high-speed card .

>2 . why the hell do you need a moding charge , when you can do it even for the slim alone ???

1.. Do you absolutely need it? No, but will you need it in my comparison? Yes.

2.. because PSP NEEDS modding before you can play pirated games? And it's not as easy for people who have never done it. Frankly, my first PSP mod costed me 40 bucks. Of course you can go and ask someone else to do it for you for free, but in a fair comparison, that's necessary to state that.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
kingofwale said:
> 1 . you dont need a 4 GB stick , especially not if its a high-speed card .

>2 . why the hell do you need a moding charge , when you can do it even for the slim alone ???

1.. Do you absolutely need it? No, but will you need it in my comparison? Yes.

2.. because PSP NEEDS modding before you can play pirated games? And it's not as easy for people who have never done it. Frankly, my first PSP mod costed me 40 bucks. Of course you can go and ask someone else to do it for you for free, but in a fair comparison, that's necessary to state that.

LOL $40 to get your PSP downgraded , it's hardly the equivalent of a "mod". There are no physical changes made to the PSP it's all software and firmware modifications , it's by far the easiet current gen hardware to pirate.

I hacked my PSP the first day I received it , at home by myself in under an hour. Piracy however wasn't as easy then but the main obstacle is the PSP's firmware.

it wasn't a hardware mod, but a software one, and with risk of bricking your system. Yes, it is always a obstacle with PSP piracy. An obstacle that is not there with DS's piracy.

Also, I didn't want to waste a hour of my time figuring it out. 40 is a lot, but I went to a store for it. So I could play my FFVIII and FFIX on PSP

selnor
Episode 2:

All I did to get my DS working with pirated/homebrew games was buy the r4 kit, it's so easy to do, just copy the ds firmware that comes with the kit onto the micro SD card along with a game rom, you then put the sd card into the r4 and put the r4 into your DS and that's it, you can start playing in minutes.

the great thing is that the DS actual firmware is not touched meaning you can play legit games with out issues.
Another convinient thing is the size of each rom, their small, fast to download, and you can have many many roms on just 1GB sd card, very convinient.

Now, I don't just use my R4 for game roms, I also use it for homebrew games, currently I'm playing towerdefender with the look of warcraft, very addictive game, I've also got pocket physics, it's just fun to mess around and make things.