By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Just finished Earthbound. Most disappointing game I have ever played. Anyone else?

Tagged games:

iLikeEggs said:
Nirvana_Nut85 said:

Seems that those of us who gamed prior to the PS2 Generation, actually played games that did not hold our hands. 

I don't think that's fair to say. The vast majority of games I have played are from before the ps2 era. I don't have an issue grinding in games. But when Ness misses three turns in a row at level 75? That's ridiculous, especially when the enemies are rarely, if ever, doing the same. Perhaps I should have said that the game was more frustrating than difficult? Except for when I went back to Onett at the end of the game and the Starmen mobs would kill me in one hit. But that was only until I realized that one of Paula's shields could negate their Starstorm attack.  

I'm all up for a good challenge. Actually, I prefer a game to be challenging. But, again, IMO, Earthbound had an unfair challenge. And I was exaggerating when I said the game is more difficult than a low level Dark SOuls 2 run. I probably should have conveyed that better. 

I can understand a bit better, but it is a situation where your mileage will vary. For every random miss, you should get a SMASH attack to negate it.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network

Dude, spoilers! I completely disagree in your complain about the final battle; that was genious and filled me with emotions.

Most of your complaints are justified. The game is indeed frustrating, specially the starmen near the end. I think you just need to make your own strategy to overcome those situations, which I did.

You gotta look at the bigger scene, too. The protagonists are kids! They need to talk to their parents, they don't come through realizations, and they get scared easily. The character development is there, just hidden in mature and odd topics. Also, those trippy scenes when Ness passes out for coffee/cake show how much you've traversed and grown.

Everything else, I agree with. Key items and normal items were messy. And battle's turn seemed random.

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

It certainly has way too many flaws to be a good game. I was actually going to make a similar thread about a month or two back, but I'm too lazy to actually make threads, so thanks for making this one.

Personally, I prefer Mother 3, which fixed many of those problems