By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Just finished Earthbound. Most disappointing game I have ever played. Anyone else?

Tagged games:

BasilZero said:

You are one of the only ones. Earthbound is one of my most favorite RPGs on the SNES.

Menu and Item arrangement I can agree but I guess they were just trying to copy Dragon Quest/Warrior's style which I am fine with but the limit on the item bag and the fact that each member has their own items (and you cant use them if they are KO'd is the only turn off for me in this aspect).

The storage system with the Sister I agree but I barely used it (at the most at least a total of 5-7 times in the whole game).

The turn base timing barely was a issue for me though I had some share of moments where I wish one character went over the other (in terms of speed).

I agree with Jeff and Poo specifically Poo lol - he barely talked in the 2nd half of the game (after his storyline) or was forgettable.

The difficulty on the other hand I have to say I had a different experience. It was only difficult in the 2nd half of the game and even then I wouldnt compare it to Dark Souls lol. Its fairly easier than most RPGs - even moreso on the FF series where I've had multiple bosses that may have given me a issue here or there - Earthbound I can only think of one boss that I actually counted as hard...and well here watch!

That was probably the hardest battle for me, too. Well, besides Giygas (only since it took forever for me to realize that I just needed to pray). And I probably should have said that the game was more frustrating than difficult. As stated previously, even at level 75, I never felt too confident in my teams abilities, which typically isn't the case in most JRPGs.

And thanks to everyone for keeping the discussion and comments civil. I was not trying to be offensive. Just looking for a discussion. The game just really really surprised me. 

Hi

Around the Network

I got this game because I had to get something with my Club Nintendo coins and, ironically, almost all of the games they offered were the games I used to earn the coins!

I played it for about half an hour before deciding that I hated it. Hell, it only got decent reviews back when. It was never an upper echelon title.

Kotastic said:

I can definitely see your points and arguments, and no one is the same.

However, I seriously recommend that you play Mother 3 on some sort of emulator. It's better than EarthBound and addresses majority of your problems

-Music is incredibly catchy
-Better interface
-More intuitive (though you still may need to look up a walkthrough in certain section--the game is not perfect)
-You'll get a lot of game overs, but I felt like a lot of them were my fault imo
-Rhythm battles is the best addition imo and adds flair to battles, makes it stand out from the rest of the series.
-Better story and character connection (that is if you weren't spoiled from the internet by now. Even then it's still pretty good)
-Final boss is...actually meaningful and the way you complete it makes sense as opposed to the final boss in EarthBound
-I'll leave out that the game is very depressing. Like REALLY depressing and messed up in some sections. Actually a lot of it.

Mother 3 ain't perfect, but it's one of my favorite rpgs because the problems aren't enough for me to have a detrimental effect of the game. It's a very memorable game that stands out from the rest of the rpgs I've played. Certainly a 100x better game than EarthBound

You have intrigued me. I shall try to play it over one of my breaks. Thanks, friend. 

Hi

Most people let the nostalgia play with their emotions too much. Thats why i leave untouched my favorite past games, i dont want to ruin them with reality.

InnocentSin said:
I definitely share some of the same sentiments on the game as you do. Now, it has been 6 years since I last beat Earthbound so some of my arguments may be invalid but the game wasn't exactly my cup of tea. I don't consider it to be one of the best SNES RPGs ever made, let alone one of the best RPGs period. I liked the art-style and the soundtrack and tbh, the cities and the atmosphere was different but quirky and serviceable.

I didn't find the gameplay too hard but it was somewhat shallow and the plot could've been better. I thought there was a lack of character development as well and I was surprised at how late you get the final party member. One of the things I did like however, was the instant win(s) that you would get when you encountered low level enemies. That saved a lot of time and tedium.

All in all, I think EB is a perfectly fine game but I don't see how it's one of the best RPGs ever. I just think it's an alright and somewhat fun game that has flaws and other RPGs on SNES far outclass it, imo.

Btw, good luck in med school!

Thanks a lot. 

It seems like we share similar sentiments. ANd I can totally see someone really liking the atmosphere, world, and background of the game. The instant wins were cool. I liked that a lot. 

Hi

Around the Network

I agree with some of your complaints, but to me its still one of the best RPGs I have ever played.

"I think it will be the HDS"-Me in regards to Nintendo's next handheld.

iLikeEggs said:
Nirvana_Nut85 said:

Seems that those of us who gamed prior to the PS2 Generation, actually played games that did not hold our hands. 

I don't think that's fair to say. The vast majority of games I have played are from before the ps2 era. I don't have an issue grinding in games. But when Ness misses three turns in a row at level 75? That's ridiculous, especially when the enemies are rarely, if ever, doing the same. Perhaps I should have said that the game was more frustrating than difficult? Except for when I went back to Onett at the end of the game and the Starmen mobs would kill me in one hit. But that was only until I realized that one of Paula's shields could negate their Starstorm attack.  

I'm all up for a good challenge. Actually, I prefer a game to be challenging. But, again, IMO, Earthbound had an unfair challenge. And I was exaggerating when I said the game is more difficult than a low level Dark SOuls 2 run. I probably should have conveyed that better. 

Wow, that never happened to me. Did you use a slingshot? It fails a lot, but with a great bat you should've been fine...

AEGRO said:
Most people let the nostalgia play with their emotions too much. Thats why i leave untouched my favorite past games, i dont want to ruin them with reality.

But certainly many old games are still great to this day. I first played Chrono Trigger, FF4, FF6, FF7, all Dragon Quest games, SMT games, etc. within the last 5 years and I thought they were excellent, enjoyable to play, and full of personality. 

Still, I do see what you are saying. It's how I felt with Demon's Souls until I replayed it recently. I realized Dark Souls was actually a huge improvement. Nostalgia got to me (even though the games are not that old), but I quickly realized. 

Hi

Volterra_90 said:
iLikeEggs said:
Nirvana_Nut85 said:

Seems that those of us who gamed prior to the PS2 Generation, actually played games that did not hold our hands. 

I don't think that's fair to say. The vast majority of games I have played are from before the ps2 era. I don't have an issue grinding in games. But when Ness misses three turns in a row at level 75? That's ridiculous, especially when the enemies are rarely, if ever, doing the same. Perhaps I should have said that the game was more frustrating than difficult? Except for when I went back to Onett at the end of the game and the Starmen mobs would kill me in one hit. But that was only until I realized that one of Paula's shields could negate their Starstorm attack.  

I'm all up for a good challenge. Actually, I prefer a game to be challenging. But, again, IMO, Earthbound had an unfair challenge. And I was exaggerating when I said the game is more difficult than a low level Dark SOuls 2 run. I probably should have conveyed that better. 

Wow, that never happened to me. Did you use a slingshot? It fails a lot, but with a great bat you should've been fine...

From what I can tell, I had the legendary bat. No slingshot. I guess I just had really bad luck. such is life

Hi

iLikeEggs said:
AEGRO said:

But certainly many old games are still great to this day. I first played Chrono Trigger, FF4, FF6, FF7, all Dragon Quest games, SMT games, etc. within the last 5 years and I thought they were excellent, enjoyable to play, and full of personality. 

Still, I do see what you are saying. It's how I felt with Demon's Souls until I replayed it recently. I realized Dark Souls was actually a huge improvement. Nostalgia got to me (even though the games are not that old), but I quickly realized. 

Exactly bro, there are some games that surpass the time which makes them legendary.

The only game that i couldnt touch again is Ocarina of Time. I have so much fond memories of that game/year and i dont want to ruin anything that is tatooed on my mind. That game represents a special part in my life.