By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Thoughts on Skyward Sword?

Tagged games:

Ninten78 said:
best Zelda ever

So, it innovated and changed the industry even more than OOT? Because, for a Zelda to be better than OOT, it would have to do that, since that's exactly what OOT did.

Around the Network

Play it so you can say you played the four best ones.

Dont tell what zelda fans tell you, its an amazing game and enjoy it, i never had any problems with the controls at all

Not really a good Zelda game. Good level design, though. The land sections and the dungeons. Just not very connected and very linear. If you don't care about staying true to Zelda's core fundamentals, the game probably won't bother you the way it bothers people like me. Linearity isn't bad. It's just bad on Zelda.

Story is pretty lame, though.

EDIT: Oh, right. The controls are shit, too. How could I forget that. Any game that need to dedicate a button and a screen to resyncing your controller should not have those controls in the first place.

AlfredoTurkey said:

So, it innovated and changed the industry even more than OOT? Because, for a Zelda to be better than OOT, it would have to do that, since that's exactly what OOT did.

That doesn't make for a good Zelda. That makes for an important Zelda.

OoT (arguably) is the most important Zelda game of all time. Definitely not the best.

Around the Network

Massively enjoyed it, but I wouldn't want another Zelda game like it. It's great as a singular Zelda title, but it doesn't have much to offer in terms of a long-term formula for the Zelda series.

I really liked the game - possibly in my top 3 Zelda games ever.

I loved the dungeons - boss fights - story - side quests - motion controls and possibility of increaing your power/upgrades weapons.

the first few hours were slow and the SKY (great idea) it is too bare and with not much going on really - Zelda has the worst design of all.

Switch!!!

I want to reply to this. To give my opinion about the game while OP maybe has some use for it. This is an interesting game in the sense that opinions are so varied, and even on individual aspects opinions are wildly divided.

I'll ignore the shocking first paragraph, because obviously objectively this game is nowhere near worse than a CD-i game. That said I agree with half of what you said fully, but very much disagree with the other half. Opinions are opinions though and I guess people will never agree on stuff regarding the Zelda franchise. Comments in bold below.

Samus Aran said:

It's the shittiest Zelda game ever made. And yes, I'm including the Zelda CD-I games when I make that statement. At least those games were so bad that they were entertaining. Skyward Sword is just... bad.

Why am I saying this? For the following reasons...

- The artstyle is shit. Impressionist my ass...

(pic)

It's really only in the backdrops and the sky I agree, I think in hindsight, the Wii wasn't powerful enough to accurately portray this style up close. I find the character models okay though.

- I've seen better looking gamecube games. Case in point:

(pic)

The GameCube has good looking games period. I've always felt Nintendo never really tried to get the most out of the Wii, or rarely did, while they obviously did on GC.

- The game doesn't have an overworld, it's divided in sections which you will revisit over and over in the game. This game has more backtracking than Metroid.

I agree, this is where the game fails hardest of all. It's world, set up like stages more or less, is too un-Zelda like and doesn't really make sense; how would people on the ground move around? It makes the game too linear and destroys almost all need for exploration.

- Sky loft feels incredibly empty. Only the town feels alive.

What exploration is left is in the sky, and I agree that there isn't much to find, what's there is well done though.

- The game's world feels artificial. Where are the gorons? Where are the Zora? Where are the towns or cities these races live in?

This goes hand in hand with the point about the divided overworld which I agree fully with. It's all because the world is basically set up in stages, which is boring, which is why the world design fails. No room for towns in obstacle courses apparently.

- The motion controls suck. I can't count the amount of times where I had to recalibrate the wii motion controller and no I didn't waggle it...

This is something I very much disagree with. I found the control scheme to be very refreshing and in nature made combat a million times more interesting because of the strategy involved. The swimming controls certainly didn't need to be motion based though. Also, it's an exaggeration to say the recalibrating is a bother, it really doesn't happen as often as you imply and it only literally takes a second without even the need of navigating through a menu like usual. Excepting maybe the simplicity of Duck Hunt, this was the best implementation of motion control in a video game for sure.

- The whole game was way too formulaic. Complete a Silent Realm, enter new area, dowse for hidding objects that are needed to progress, complete pre-dungeon puzzle, complete dungeon, rinse and repeat.

I'm okay enough with such a set-up, though again the stage-like nature of the world only emplified this structure.  Some things did feel like filler though. Dungeon-wise, which to me is one of the most important aspects in a Zelda game, this is a strong game though, with a couple of the best I ever saw. They save the game.

- Dowsing is the most boring mechanic ever introduced in a Zelda game.

It's nothing special sure, but searching for secrets this way was convenient. I agree that the story based dowsing like the searching for Zelda was unnecessary.

- Silent Realms give me chest pains because of my anxiety disorder (the sole reason why I quit playing the game at the silent realm in the volcano area).

I actually thought the Silent Realms were a nice change of pace and the only really challenging parts of the game, though yeah I see why one wouldn't like them if they literally get on your nerves.

- Shields that can break are stupid.

I wouldn't have missed it if it weren't there, but I liked that shields had different uses. Wooden shields are vulnerable to fire, iron shields to electricity and both to magic for which needed the purple shield. The Hylian Shield is invulnerable though, which was a good prize.

- You have to fight the forbidden over and over again in this game (again, too formulaic).

I did think he was an annoying boss to fight, he's even annoying in Hyrule Warriors. Story-wise I see why they would make you fight it multiple times, but gameplay-wise, yeah, rather not. Other bosses in the game were good though.

- It retconned the origin story of Link's cap in The Minish Cap. Which is a much better game.

I think similar about Minish Cap as you do about Skyward Sword. I find everything annoying about that game and feel it fails hard. Me ranting about how I feel Minish Cap sucks as a Zelda game is a whole other topic though so let's not go there. To this comment however; That 'origin story' was dumb anyway and how they written it had absolutely nothing to do with why every other Link has a green cap, dispote their intention. They failed with their explanation because the other Zelda games already had their own explanations about the tunic. OoT Link has a green cap because he wears the clothes of the Kokiri and the others after him did because they either want to be OoT Link or flat out get his actual tunic, the end. They never needed to shoehorn in an explanation that has no relation to the other games at all. Minish Cap's origin story is just about how 'a' Link got 'a' cap, as far as I'm concerned.

- Fi is the most annoying companion in video game history.

She is a good character story-wise and ends up being quite important to Zelda lore. The game through Fi also explains a few things for other games. The whole story itself I thought was pretty entertaining and Fi was an unmissable part of it. The ending is bittersweet. However that's the story part of things. Gameplay-wise, to say the least, I really could have lived without constant notifications about how long I was playing or how my battery was going to die. She also gave away sollitions tok quickly so there really was way too much handholding. Midna was a way more useful partner for sure

At the end of the day I'd say in my opinion the game falls in the middle, saved because of the dungeons after falling far because of the world. It's definitely not the best, but certainly not the worst Zelda game either.

Its a beautiful game but twillight princess is milion miles better than skyward sword

REQUIESCAT IN PACE

I Hate REMASTERS

I Hate PLAYSTATION PLUS

Since Zelda games didn't have enough puzzles, combat was turned into a puzzle as well. Link can slash in 8 directions and most enemy require to attack in a certain direction. However some enemies seem to read your inputs and change their guard accordingly to the direction you're attacking, and the only thing you can do is to pray for them to stop doing it.

Like he did with the slingshot before, Aonuma added new elements to Zelda by nerfing Link. Enter the stamina gauge, the shield gauge and the inventory with limited slots.

Now Link gets tired by running, rolling or executing special attacks.

Blocking sucks big time now. You must waggle the nunchuck to enter the block stance. Holding Z like in previous games won't do it. And Link drops his guard whenever he attacks, blocks, you release the Z button and maybe when he gets hit too. If that wasn't enough, shields have a durability gauge. You can block like 3-4 hits before they break, and your options to refill the gauge are to use a potion or repair it at the city. The Hylian shield is indestructible, but the only way to get it is in a late game sidequest.

There's barely any exploration, and tedium is its replacement. Most Goddess Cubes are at plain sight. Hit them with the beam.... and no, you don't get the content right away. A previously locked special treasure chest in an island in the sky (very likely to be over a minute away from your current location) opens and you have to fly there to get it.

As usual in Aonuma Zeldas there is only one way to kill the bosses, which involve the item found in its dungeon. Thou shalt not deviate from the path envisioned by your lord.

Then there's those awful stealth sections...