By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Thoughts on Skyward Sword?

Tagged games:

Motion controls are great. One point to keep in mind about it though is to make sure you are in front of the sensor bar as it uses it to recalibrate. Also manually recalibrating is easy with down on the d pad. Hope these will make your playthrough a bit smoother.

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
Well as you said, this is clearly a divisive game indeed.

If I'm allowed to give some advice, ignore what most people are saying. Only I am right, because my opinion is absolute.

You're welcome.

Thank you, my lord. I will indeed abide by your rule when playing through the game.

d21lewis said:
The first Zelda game I ever hated. After a few months, I forced myself to go back and play it. Like always, it soon became "the best game, ever!"

I love it, now. Best story in the series, too.

I've had a similar experience with Super Mario RPG. Didn't like it at first, played it again after a few years and now it's my favorite Mario RPG.

InnocentSin said:

- Shields that can break are stupid.

Wow, they can actually break? Even the Hylian shield? If that's the case, then that design is questionable.

Hylian shield is unbreakable.

KLAMarine said:
Not to say that it's a bad game, there are a number of things that I liked and I would certainly recommend people play it and see what they like and don't. As a Zelda game though, not that great.

Yah, I definitely can see it as a somewhat experimental/transitional Zelda title but I'll definitely keep my mind open.

Around the Network

It's not perfect, but it is enjoyable, has great story telling and it created new mechanics that IMO were needed and do better for the series. People will hate it because they want HD OoT, even though that released too long ago and things have changed. Never understood whats wrong with backtracking, specially since you visit new areas in the zones.

Anyway, if you dislike linearity, motion controls, following orders instead of freedom and not well done exploration mechanics, this ain't your game. If you like combat based Zelda, filled with action and a rich story, fun characters (main and side), an actually interesting Zelda and amazing antagonist, great soundtrack, and weird non-zelda characteristics (weird, right?) then this is your game.

Clearly, I am biased. I consider SS my favorite game of all time, and it's actually because it drifts itself from the Zelda people love (OoT), but also the Zelda we deserve (ALttP or original)... it has flaws, but if you look over them and look at the great creativity, I think you can love it as much as me.

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

jigokutamago said:
Motion controls are great. One point to keep in mind about it though is to make sure you are in front of the sensor bar as it uses it to recalibrate. Also manually recalibrating is easy with down on the d pad. Hope these will make your playthrough a bit smoother.

Thanks for the advice! I usually put the sensor bar on top of my TV but it's not big to begin with.

Slarvax said:
It's not perfect, but it is enjoyable, has great story telling and it created new mechanics that IMO were needed and do better for the series. People will have it because they want HD OoT, even though that released too long ago and things have changed. Never understood whats wrong with backtracking, specially since you visit new areas in the zones.

Anyway, if you dislike linearity, motion controls, following orders instead of freedom and not well done exploration mechanics, this ain't your game. If you like combat based Zelda, filled with action and a rich story, fun characters (main and side), an actually interesting Zelda and amazing antagonist, great soundtrack, and weird non-zelda characteristics (weird, right?) then this is your game.

Clearly, I am biased. I consider SS my favorite game of all time, and it's actually because it drifts itself from the Zelda people love (OoT), but also the Zelda we deserve (ALttP or original)... it has flaws, but if you look over them and look at the great creativity, I think you can love it as much as me.

When it comes to linearity, I think a game like FFXII has a near perfect balance between freedom and following the intended path because the areas are big. If it's linear like say FFXIII, then there's a problem. But I don't mind linearity, as long as the action, the story, OST, etc. are good. 

Also, I may get burned alive by a red priestess for saying this but I didn't really like ALttP.

@innocentSin. Never played FF
And it's fine, I dislike OoT with a (weird) passion. I didn't enjoy ALttP at first, but on my second run I'm liking it a lot.

Zelda is such a weird franchise. Nobody likes every game, yet it is praised as the best Nintendo has ever done... Pikmin and Metroid > Zelda

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

My favorite Zelda game of all time. It gets so much hate but too me it was the best. It was actually my first real Zelda game, since I used to watch my friends play the other ones but SS hit me and I ended up buying it.