By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - So I finally got a PS2...

I've always believed that systems are *more* valuable as they get older because they have more games, and those games are available more cheaply. Sadly, some of the games are harder to find.

Nevertheless, I'm looking to make a list of PS2 games to get my grubby hands on. My girl loves Frequency and has not yet played Amplitude. I'm borrowing those from a friend since we couldn't find them for sale in town.

If there are any absolutely must have games, the very best PS2 games, and they're available on ebay or at used stores, make the list. I already have God of War and Hot Shots Golf 4.

[edit] Since there is such a large pool of games to choose from, I'm interested to know if they support wide screen and surround sound.  Also, if anyone has had any luck with wireless controllers let me know which one you have -- we have to sit about 10' from our screen since it is very large, and a wireless controller would be awesome. 

Around the Network

Welcome to 2001.

Aj_habfan said:
Welcome to 2001.

Hey, great post!  Thanks for contributing.  You're a valuable member at VGC!

Worst memory card ever! Good luck to your save games!

Otherwise it's a good system.

The first Jak and Daxter game is a must have. Klonoa was also pretty fun.  Grand Theft Auto Vice City is the best in the series so get that as well. 

Prepare for termination! It is the only logical thing to do, for I am only loyal to Megatron.

Edit: Also, Jak & Daxter 1-3, God of War 1/2, Sly Cooper 1-3, Way of the Samuria (a niche yet awesome game), among others. 

Around the Network
DarkNight_DS said:

The first Jak and Daxter game is a must have. Klonoa was also pretty fun. Grand Theft Auto Vice City is the best in the series so get that as well.

Jak and Daxter sounds pretty good. I'll probably look for that next. I'm not particularly worried about the memory card because if saves are lost, it's not the end of the world. We have the system for Frequency, and also to clean up on games I didn't play enough of or at all.

@makingmusic476: Ah, that comes out Tuesday for $30?  That's exactly what I'm looking for -- I think I will replay though MGS from the beginning.  Does this include the Subsistence version of MGS3?

TheBigFatJ said:
DarkNight_DS said:

The first Jak and Daxter game is a must have. Klonoa was also pretty fun. Grand Theft Auto Vice City is the best in the series so get that as well.

Jak and Daxter sounds pretty good. I'll probably look for that next. I'm not particularly worried about the memory card because if saves are lost, it's not the end of the world. We have the system for Frequency, and also to clean up on games I didn't play enough of or at all.

Is there a big difference between Metal Gear Solid 3 Snake Eater and Subsistence? It looks like the camera was fixed seriously enough to make it worth looking for Subsistence...

Subsistance had a new camera, MGO (which has since been shut down), MG 1/2, and a few other extras.  The Essentials collection comes with the Subsistance version of the game, though with none of Subsistance's extras.

makingmusic476 said:

Subsistance had a new camera, MGO (which has since been shut down), MG 1/2, and a few other extras. The Essentials collection comes with the Subsistance version of the game, though with none of Subsistance's extras.

The original MG 1/2 (not solid versions)?  I played the original a lot of times, although never MG2.

I don't think I'd really miss them, though. 

TheBigFatJ said:
makingmusic476 said:

Subsistance had a new camera, MGO (which has since been shut down), MG 1/2, and a few other extras. The Essentials collection comes with the Subsistance version of the game, though with none of Subsistance's extras.

The original MG 1/2 (not solid versions)? I played the original a lot of times, although never MG2.

I don't think I'd really miss them, though.

Yup, the originals.  I don't have Subsistance, and I wish they had included them in the Essential Collection, which I'm thinking about buying just for the hell of it.

Maybe they'll put them on the VC or PSN one day. I can only hope. ^^ 

I guess it's never too late to own the greatest system of all time, ;) . But seriously, if you haven't owned one up to now, PS2 is an amazing value at only $99 and pretty much the best library ever. Actually, depending on your views you may have just purchased the best of the currently high selling systems. If you can concede some graphical capabilities, it pretty much owns.