By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS4 + XB1 combined VS Wii NPD sales second year

Which is gonna to sell more?

Wii 41 36.94%

PS4 and XB1 combined 70 63.06%

Total:111

No console will ever sell faster than Wii in its first 5 years.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Around the Network

November and december will kill it
3m+

all other month, the wii has a shot at winning against xb1 and ps4 combined

endy.G said:
3m+

Not a chance, none of PS4 or XBO will sell 1.5 million in a single month, both will be lucky with 1.4 million this year and even in all other year... for the rest of the year i can see XBO+PS4 beat the Wii in September.

Shadow1980 said:

EDITED TO ADD: In regards to the poll question, the Wii hadn't yet passed 42M as of the end of 2014 in the U.S. and is still less than 102M globally. Based on my own personal projections, I estimate about 55-60 million units sold between the PS4 and XBO in the U.S. and 150-170M globally.

I will go with 50-55 million in the US and 130 million globally for PS4 and XB1.

Ryng_Tolu said:
endy.G said:
3m+

Not a chance, none of PS4 or XBO will sell 1.5 million in a single month, both will be lucky with 1.4 million this year and even in all other year... for the rest of the year i can see XBO+PS4 beat the Wii in September.

ps+xb1 sold 2.35 million last december
they only need to be up 30% YoY to reach 3 million

but even 2.5 million will be enough to be selling more than wii
xb1 will sell 1.5m (or at least come very close) in on month this year. i have no doubt about that
ps4 also have the chance, if they cut the price or do a gangbuster bundle

Around the Network
Ruler said:
most of these console sales were bought by casual gamers, there is really no point comparing

Fixed that for you.

endy.G said:

ps+xb1 sold 2.35 million last december
they only need to be up 30% YoY to reach 3 million

Actually the XB1 is up YOY by 17%, and the PS4 is even down YOY. Combined, are up YOY by only 5%. Not a chance for 30% increase. 

but even 2.5 million will be enough to be selling more than wii
xb1 will sell 1.5m (or at least come very close) in on month this year. i have no doubt about that
ps4 also have the chance, if they cut the price or do a gangbuster bundle

Actually the XB1 is up YOY by 17%, and the PS4 is even down YOY. combined, PS4+XBO are up by only 5%. Not a chance for 30% increase.

numberwang said:
Ruler said:
most of these console sales were bought by casual gamers, there is really no point comparing

Fixed that for you.

so a 600$ PS3 were bought by casuals? The Wii cost 250$ @launch vs the 400$ PS4 and 350$ Xbox one now

Ryng_Tolu said:
Shadow1980 said:

EDITED TO ADD: In regards to the poll question, the Wii hadn't yet passed 42M as of the end of 2014 in the U.S. and is still less than 102M globally. Based on my own personal projections, I estimate about 55-60 million units sold between the PS4 and XBO in the U.S. and 150-170M globally.

I will go with 50-55 million in the US and 130 million globally for PS4 and XB1.

I feel like that is a very conservative estimate. This gen the PS4 breaks 100m, and Xbox should go over 30m as well.

Why do I think so?

1) It shipped 25.3mil units by end of june (3mil, up more than 300k from same time last year).

This is dispite it still haveing the same price as it launched at. Once it gets a price cut, sales will be crazy.

Its best years are still ahead of it, the sales dispite being crazy good, are no where near where they could be.

Think of how many exclusives it has comeing in 2016?

"Anyway. You guys should know that PS4 sold better this quarter than Xbox One + Xbox 360 + Wii U + Wii + 3DS combined...."  - quote ZhugeEX

2) I believe japan is going to make a comeback with consoles:

- FF XIV
- FF XV
- FF VII Remake
- Kingdom Hearts III
- Nier 2
- Dragon Quest X
- Dragon Quest XI
- Dragon Quest Heroes 1 & 2
- Shenmue 3
- Persona 5
- Exist Archive: The Other Side of the Sky
- Tales of Zestiria
- Tales of Berseria
- Ys 8
- Star Ocean 5
- Disgaea 5
- Odin Sphere Leifthrasir
- New Vanillaware project
- Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth
- Project SETSUNA
- Yoru no Nai Kuni
- World of Final Fantasy
- Yakuza 5
- Trailers in the Sky 2
- The Last Guardian
- Level 5 RPG
- Other announced things
- Dark Souls 3

3) project morpheus: This is the new thing that casuals will want to try (the wii mote effect will kick in).

I think VR is going to be big... and the place its going to sell the most is on the consoles where experianceing VR will be the cheapest / easiest to do.

Teeqoz said:
Yadda yadda, we know the Wii was a beast in its first three years, but its problem was that it dropped like a rock after that, so any comparisons this early in on will give an edge to the Wii. However I think PS4+XBO will do more in nov+dec than the Wii did, and might be ahead for the year too.

Yeah, can't argue with that.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."