By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Witcher 3 is the best RPG in the last decade.

It's not even the best RPG this year FFS, and there are easily at least 10 RPGs vastly superior to it in the last decade. What a silly thread.

Around the Network
Bancho_Villa said:
HoloDust said:

Different beasts really - Skyrim is pretty much standard TES game for all its good and bad things, just dumbed down for mainstream, W3 is pretty much attempt to make high budget mainstream Gothic.

To make things bit more clear, I'd take Morrowind over W3, just like I would take any Gothic over Morrowind, but, at least for me, both Skyrim and W3 are about 8/10...but as I said, different beast, open-world RPG genre is really only thing that is common for them.

Hmm, valid points. I personally am very underwhelmed by w3. I remember reading a quote from cd red that the map was going to be 20% bigger than skyrim, and then I saw the graphics, and I fell for the hype. I just think it's funny that they directly tried comparing their game to skyrim.

Well, there isn't any WRPG game out there that is as known to mainstream audience as well as Skyrim. It is PR, Skyrim was, most likely, for most of those 20+ millions people buying it first open world WRPG they've ever played (if not first WRPG, period) - it surelly does sounds a lot better for press release than comparing it to Gothic, which is their main influence, but quite unkown to mainstream.

I like the game, I think it's very good open-world WRPG, but as someone who's been playing  c/W/RPGs for almost 30 years now, I can find a lot of flaws in it. Bottom lines - don't fall for hype, people should really do their homework, specially if they're venturing into genre they're not very familiar with and maybe above all, keep your mind open and don't compare it to other games from different sub-genres and base how you like it on that.

Three is the king right now and the only games that have a shot of knocking it down from goty glory are  fallout 4 and bloodborne. If neither of those games can we've got a game of the year.

Nah. I prefer bloodborne by miles, and it's only for this year...

I really didn't liked the witcher 3 gameplay, as usual.

Until we see persona 5.

Sorry, but it isn't the best RPG in a decade.
Best RPG of the year? Possibly
It may be in the top-10 list of the decade but its not on first place.
The world, the characters are outstanding in W3 (as it was in W2 but even more so in D3)
The rest is fairly standard.

What I really like is the believable characters. Even for villains, you are not just told "that guy is evil, you should hate him"

Around the Network
fatslob-:O said:
Why am I the only guy who despises The Witcher franchise so much ?

I feel like I'm left out of the party ...

I agree. the Witcher series lacks a certain flavor in my opinion... .. like the games are good, they have interesting plots and quests but I feel as if they are somewhat limited in terms of customization and freedom of vibes / decisions. it's always 'play as Geralt making good decisions or play as Geralt making bad decisions!'

for me by far the best RPG in the last decade would still be Fallout 3. just far more creative and innovative than anything since. 

what's awkward is the OP compares the Witcher 3 to other games like Dragon Age Inquisition, as if DA I was any good (it wasn't)

HoloDust said:
Bancho_Villa said:

Hmm, valid points. I personally am very underwhelmed by w3. I remember reading a quote from cd red that the map was going to be 20% bigger than skyrim, and then I saw the graphics, and I fell for the hype. I just think it's funny that they directly tried comparing their game to skyrim.

Well, there isn't any WRPG game out there that is as known to mainstream audience as well as Skyrim. It is PR, Skyrim was, most likely, for most of those 20+ millions people buying it first open world WRPG they've ever played (if not first WRPG, period) - it surelly does sounds a lot better for press release than comparing it to Gothic, which is their main influence, but quite unkown to mainstream.

I like the game, I think it's very good open-world WRPG, but as someone who's been playing  c/W/RPGs for almost 30 years now, I can find a lot of flaws in it. Bottom lines - don't fall for hype, people should really do their homework, specially if they're venturing into genre they're not very familiar with and maybe above all, keep your mind open and don't compare it to other games from different sub-genres and base how you like it on that.

I actually consider myself quite familiar with rpgs. In fact, I play them almost exclusively. I did do my homework and I played w2 as well. I'm familiar with most sub-genres. Simply put, w3 disappointed me. 

Bancho_Villa said:
HoloDust said:

I actually consider myself quite familiar with rpgs. In fact, I play them almost exclusively. I did do my homework and I played w2 as well. I'm familiar with most sub-genres. Simply put, w3 disappointed me. 

OK, I was speaking more in general, though you said it yourself you fell for hype. Honestly, there are not too many open-world WRPGs of real-time combat solo character variety, so it's not really hard to know what to expect nor later to compare.

I'm not sure really what anyone who is familiar with this sub-type was expecting from this game, I can only speak for myself and judge it as that type of game, and compare it to that type of games only - and in some things it's a great game, in some others it often fails, but I still find it very worthy entry in genre that has quite long droughts.

I don't even think its GOTY. Maybe RPG of the year. But if Fallout 4 launches this year I am pretty sure that TW3 will be forgotten and forgotten quickly.

Game was amazing and its proving why expansions> DLC. Best 200 hour RPG of the gen so far. Totally teabagged Dragon Age Inquisition (and it didn't even have dragons).