By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Witcher 3 is the best RPG in the last decade.

That's called an opinion.
A lot happened in 10 years. But if I had to say what was my favourite RPG of the decade, it would be The world ends with you.
The witcher 3's execution is close to perfect, but it's not ballsy as far as design decision are concerned. I rather play a flawed, ballsy game.

Around the Network

For me Dragon Quest VIII takes it. I played it the first time in late summer 2013. I had been saving it for years and oh boy DQVIII delivered. Witcher 3 is still in the same tier but slightly below.

I cannot imagine toilet-free life.

Kebabs have a unique attribute compared to other consumables. To unlock this effect you need to wolf down a big ass kebab really fast, like under 10 minutes or so and wait for the effect to kick in. If done correctly your movements should feel unbelievably heavy to the point where you literally cannot move at all.

-Downtown Alanya Kebab magazine issue no.198

SvennoJ said:

The witcher 3 does respawn monsters, drowners and wolves aways come back. (Geralt even jokes about the drowners) Guards level with you to be always 10 levels or so ahead. I went back to the starter area to teach the soldiers in the encampment a lesson, unfortunately they had all levelled up to lvl 35. And plenty of story missions have infinitely respawning foes to urge you on.

Fallout NV did a very good job at making a large open world interesting with multiple outcomes and factions to align with. I had expected W3 to be more like that after W2, yet it went with 3 pre-baked endings depending on some unclear decisions. Kinda like Metro 2033.

Really? Never expierenced drowners and co to respawn, maybe it just because of the giant open wolrd and I never stayed long at one location (which is also one of my biggest cirtics about witcher 3).

I exprieneced the same about the guards and its destroys the immersion a bit for me. The guards are more strong then the endboss which is very very unrealistic but okay. Why need I to "save the world" if any guard is much stronger ^^

BraLoD said:
bugrimmar said:

Your statement is so contradictory...

1. You're an RPG fan yet you refuse to play this RPG

2. You haven't played it yet you could judge that the game isn't good already.

So if you're an RPG fan, you should try this first before passing judgment, correct?

I don't refuse to play it, I just don't have a PS4.

I'm giving my opinion, haven't played Bloodborne either but this one gave me a way better impression.

Yes, it would be better to play both to judge it, but I don't need to be sble to give my opinion about what I think of them already.

The Witcher 3 and Bloodborne are two COMPLETELY different experiences that you have to try for youserlf to know, i have played and finished both of them and they are masterpieces in their own terms. I couldnt choose one or the other, im just glad that i played them because we are witnessing videogame classics.

Playing it now. Honestly the combat is horrible worse then number 2 imo. DAI to me is far superior the combat in inquisition is like jrpg combat but modernized.

Around the Network

If by "last decade" you're implying 2010 forward, then I gotta go with Xenoblade.

fatslob-:O said:
Why am I the only guy who despises The Witcher franchise so much ?

I feel like I'm left out of the party ...

You aren't the only one... I keep buying these games because everybody talks about how good they are... But I haven't been able to get into any of them.  I have started and stopped all three...

JNK said:
SvennoJ said:

The witcher 3 does respawn monsters, drowners and wolves aways come back. (Geralt even jokes about the drowners) Guards level with you to be always 10 levels or so ahead. I went back to the starter area to teach the soldiers in the encampment a lesson, unfortunately they had all levelled up to lvl 35. And plenty of story missions have infinitely respawning foes to urge you on.

Fallout NV did a very good job at making a large open world interesting with multiple outcomes and factions to align with. I had expected W3 to be more like that after W2, yet it went with 3 pre-baked endings depending on some unclear decisions. Kinda like Metro 2033.

Really? Never expierenced drowners and co to respawn, maybe it just because of the giant open wolrd and I never stayed long at one location (which is also one of my biggest cirtics about witcher 3).

I exprieneced the same about the guards and its destroys the immersion a bit for me. The guards are more strong then the endboss which is very very unrealistic but okay. Why need I to "save the world" if any guard is much stronger ^^

I haven't seen drowners respawn actively, they're just always back when I run through the area again. It gets tiring when you're running back and forth for quests.

Monsters and other opponents do actively (re)spawn during story quests, or the game uses a death line to urge you on. The guards are invincible too, they get back up after a while after you defeat them. Happened in Skellige. It seems the Novigrad guards stay dead longer. If you can find one that reacts to your taunts that is. It's a beautiful world, but lacking in interactivity.

I disagree. Mass Effect, Dragon Age and Xenoblade Chronicles are above Witcher in my opinion

Witcher 3 immediately blew me away with how superior it is when compared to Witcher 2. I love the combat it reminds me Dark Souls the way that it challenges you to time every Dodge and Attack and warns you to prevent being greedy and going in on enemies. The open world is amazingly detailed and filled with various areas to go to and revisit. I've been in the same area for over 20 Hours and still am not even close to finishing it. The bosses challenge you to come up with a strategy in order to overcome it and coming unprepared can cost you greatly.

I've loved and played various RPG's over the years, but Witcher 3 set the bar for me in an RPG. I probably won't see an RPG the same way that Witcher 3 made me see it. CD Projekt RED is an amazing Game Developer and Witcher 3 deserves every praise it gets.