By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is Steam Machine "devices" 9 gen ?

I mean I know the correct word is "gaming platform".. Not only becourse many companys will make "steam machines" but also we can get them in many configurations reaching from slightly under ps4 level.. to power like the best gaming pc's.

But it looks like a console.. it's dedicated for games and it has a controller.. the only thing that really differs is the online only (but we did call psp go a console)

Is it a new type of console..? Is it then gen 9..? or do "gen" even exist anymore..?..

Also it comes in under 4 month.. Valve says with more than 1000 games in 1080p from day one.. and also perfect for media and internet.. It do cost more (at launch.. from 449-4000$) but should MS and Sony be worried that they just got totally "low end" and now only has the exclusive games to lure people in..?

Steam/controller in action:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fs2Yh1PFwM

Around the Network

No its a PC with a custom linux OS on it (Most of them over priced)

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

I don't see a console in this. It's still a computer imo.

Don't think Sony or Microsoft will be losing any sleep over this. It's kinda cool but I doubt any non-pc gamers will have any interest in it.

No. PCs can't be considered a part of console generations because they transcend that kind of categorization in power and specs. You can use a single PC for games from 10 years ago and games today if you have the specs, they don't outdate easily. They can also be upgraded a fine amount to make them last years.

bet: lost

Around the Network

They are PCs running SteamOS. They don't even have to be small. Your normal desktop computer can be a Steam Machine.

Captain_Yuri said:

Where do you see the difference.. other than there will more models..?

Yes.
Contrary to popular opinion here, all consoles are gaming variants of PC's just as the steam machine is. This is especially true now more than ever since gaming consoles can do so much more than just game.
Although, I don't think Sony, MS or Nintendo will be too worried about them since they are so discombobulated and seem to lack general direction.

Gotta figure out how to set these up lol.

BraLoD said:
They are more like PCs than consoles.

Yes i think so.. but only becourse they can do more things.. like all video formats and free online (better things) all the "what we expect of a console" it has to.. therefor i start to think.. hey.. isent this the way ps5 and nextbox will be to..?  (Gen 9)

Captain_Yuri said:

Just so you are aware, most "Console" OS's use either Linux or Unix as a base. Now to confuse the matter ever more, the X1 is using a version of Windows, the same OS used on the vast majority of home PC's. 

BTW, the "Custom" OS isn't very custom. It's Debian Linux with Steam. 

Gotta figure out how to set these up lol.