By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - I really wish Microsoft invested into Phantom Dust or a new game rather than Rise of the Tomb Raider.

sasquatchmontana said:

"MS doesn't have any new IPS"

"OK, MS does have new IPS, but they don't own the ip"

"OK, they do own the IP, but they don't own the studio"

"Why does MS keep buying studios instead of building them internally like Sony did with Naughty Dog, Media Molecule, Suckerpunch and Geurilla Games?"

6 more years of this.

You just nailed it with this comment. I guess people just doesn't like Microsoft and just spinning their words like someone is doing in this thread LOL.

Proud to be a Californian.

Around the Network
Snoopy said:

Microsoft should use Minecraft as a well to sell xbox one systems. Make "Minecraft 2"(or w/e they will call it) an xbox one / PC exclusive. That will sell a lot of xboxes.

Even better: make an Xbox One Minecraft edition console.

Proud to be a Californian.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Snoopy said:

Scalebound, quantum break, recore?

You're not arguing  his point. You're only proving it. The hottest games coming for them aren't made by anything but their money.

Every game needs money to be funded. If you don't have the money, the new games aren't coming.

Snoopy said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

You're not arguing  his point. You're only proving it. The hottest games coming for them aren't made by anything but their money.

Every game needs money to be funded. If you don't have the money, the new games aren't coming.

You know that's not his point. One method is to pay to outsource development (MS). The other is to invest in your own people and talent to create new IPs (Sony).

It's pretty much what this whole thread boils down to.

Snoopy said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

The point is, they have the money to make those games...but internally the creativity isnt there. Its the reason they are always outsourcing.

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Snoopy said:

The point is, they have the money to make those games...but internally the creativity isnt there. Its the reason they are always outsourcing.

Why wouldn't they?  It is cheaper, quicker, safer and they could potentially buy the company if things go well.  Whenever they get a third party exclusive they are usually the publisher, which means they are using the company to create the game they want.  Its just much easier for them.  And it is not a bad thing.  

Snoopy said:

I can't help but feel that Microsoft makes some great moves, like backwards compatability, resolving a lot of resolution gate issues (eventhough I never found it a big deal) and releasing great games. However, everytime they make great decisions, they take two steps back. With the money they invested into tomb raider they could've made phantom dust or a new ip. I will be piss if I don't hear anymore new titles at gamescon. Not because Microsoft doesn't have a solid lineup of games, but because I know that the money they forked over for tomb raider, they could've done something better like maybe bring back Battle Toads or invested more into phantom dust. My two cents.

It really sucks that The Coalition (Black Tusk Studios) dropped/delayed this teased game so as to work on Gears 4:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zidvu6UnDaM

I feel that SquareEnix thought that the XB1 would be the front runner for this generation and made a timed exclusive deal with Microsoft before this new generation even began.  We constantly hear that Microsoft funded Tomb Raider and helped with the development, which only further validates my hypothesis.

To me, Rise of the Tomb Raider on the XB1 feels like Bioshock or Mass Effect on the XB360.  Now that we are nearly 2 years out, approximate development time for a game, it is safe to assume that 3rd party games like Titanfall, Sunset Overdrive, and Tomb Raider wont be releasing as an Xbox exclusive/timed exclusive for the rest of the generation.  These assumptions are based off of the mass appeal to buy the PS4 over the XB1.  EA announcing that Titanfall 2 will be multiplatform only further confirms my assumptions.

Microsoft has been ambitious by going after new IPs like Recore, Scalebound, and Quantum Break; however, we have to keep in mind that Microsoft no longer has the advantage when it comes to multiplatform games.  Microsoft therefore has to capture their audience through new IPs and release them throughout the entire year, which leads into my next point.

The most alarming issue is that Microsoft seems to be constantly doing battle with themselves or other huge multiplatform games.  In 2014, Microsoft had Halo MCC and Forza Horizon 2 take sales away from Sunset Overdrive.  Now they have Rise of the Tomb Raider going up against Halo 5 and Forza 6, (not to mention Fallout 4, COD, and Battlefront).  They should try to create new IPs and release them during a time when everyone is hungry for a new game. Last generation, Microsoft alternated between Gears and Halo.  I am now worried that they will no longer be able to alternate every year between these two games,  since these next generation games seem to be taking a longer time to develop.  They will have to develop another top tier game so they can ensure that Halo or Gears doesn't release as a holiday buggy mess.

I don't think this is a matter of money going into Tomb Raider instead of Phantom Dust or another new IP, but rather Microsoft's inability to capture new development teams to create these top tiered AAA games that gamers so desperately want.  The fact that Darkside studios was working on their first game (Phantom Dust) by themselves, only underscores the pool of game developers that are left for Microsoft to choose from.  

Honestly, I think Microsoft should completely drop Gears after the release of Gears 4.  Gears of War: Judgement is an example of a franchise that has lost its way or its fundamental roots.  To me, that screams a game developers inability to find new or interesting gameplay for that given franchise. Therefore, I feel that Microsoft NEEDS to drop Gears and allow The Coalition to develop the games that they are were passionate about, just like the teaser that was posted at the beginning of my post.  (Full Circle).

Scoobes said:
Aerys said:
TheSting said:
Black Tusk Studios was making 3 AAA games?????

Yep http://www.shacknews.com/article/77683/black-tusk-studios-working-on-four-microsoft-ips

"The Vancouver-based outfit had big ambitions, staffing up to make a new franchise on the scale of the Halo series" Seriously disappointing :/

Kinda sad we will never know  their own studio original creation, could have been good or bad, but still interesting to see " Ok now stop your 4 games, forget it and everyone go on Gears 4 "

Do we actually know these have been cancelled? Gears 4 could well be the main project for the studio but that deson't mean they've stopped all other projects. AAA titles can take time to develop before the first public announcement.

It's cancelled, at least for the biggest project, according to them, and Phil said they were totally focusing on Gears for now, so unless there are no sequels for Gears 4, i dont think they will revive their old projects ( especially now they changed their name taking  this specific one to become Gears factory and even confirmed it  :  " The Coalition is a growing team of talented, creative, fun-loving professionals from around the world who are united in their passion for Gears of War. "  :/ )  , there was a topic on neogaf explaining it all, see if i can find it

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

Jimbo1337 said:

The fact that Darkside studios was working on their first game (Phantom Dust) by themselves, only underscores the pool of game developers that are left for Microsoft to choose from. 

The comments from the ex-employee denotes the studio deliberately mis-led Microsoft, to string them along for more money. It's no surprise they'd go elsewere.

Suddenly, what was once a $5 million multiplayer reboot of Phantom Dust had become a $5 million multiplayer reboot of Phantom Dust with a six-hour single-player story mode attached. That meant Darkside would need more designers, more artists, and more programmers, all of which equated to extra time and money that they didn’t have. Still, employees say they were committed to pulling it off. This was their first solo project. They wanted to prove they were good enough to do it. According to one Darkside source, their tentative plan was to build a fun vertical slice—a playable and demonstrable chunk of the game—and use it to persuade Microsoft into giving them more money.

Sharpryno said:

Why wouldn't they?  It is cheaper, quicker, safer and they could potentially buy the company if things go well.  Whenever they get a third party exclusive they are usually the publisher, which means they are using the company to create the game they want.  Its just much easier for them.  And it is not a bad thing.  

Actually no...its not. Its generally riskier to outsource. Problem with Microsoft is their devs are not that great, and it shows by the jobs they give them compared to third party. Microsoft has more studios and dedicates the good ones only to sequels to IP's they purchased. They have little faith in their ability to create IP's. They didnt do well with IP creation in the first gen or the second. Sony is the only developer which has all of their party based covered in terms of first, second and third party internally and outside (which is why they naturally tend to dominate generations). Nintendo tends to lack third party and Microsoft tends to lack first party rather than second party and third party (even though its mostly third parties making those games to begin with. Essentially Sony can do it all. Nintendo could do it all but if Nintendo for the NX could heal the wounds they have with third party, Microsofts visible issues with creating games themselves will become a flaw that will become everpresent when they are having gaming droughts like last gen. The media was all over Microsoft for years about it. They complained that making games was too expensive. Of course it is...but it also comes down to your passion to create games.