By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Something is wrong between Square Enix and Microsoft ? Tomb Raider

Maybe Sqaure panicked with the lack of hype for the game (and inferior X1 software sales) and wanted to reassure playstation fans its coming

Mayb Microsoft thought it would help them by confirming that the game wouldn't arrive on playstation a few months after the X1 version, they'd have to wait a whole year

Around the Network

I believe the XBox division is missing a dedicated team that invites the developers to a Tea party once in a while.

For the people that didn't know Microsoft had a partnership for one of the biggest releases of the year: The Witcher 3

Well, this is what the developer had to say about their partners hardware: http://www.gameplanet.com.au/pc/news/g5519c69c7488a/Witcher-3-dev-says-hed-rather-play-on-PC-at-minimum-settings-than-on-Xbox-One/

Call me a conspiracy theorist, but I believe that Microsoft stablished bad relationships with indie developers in the past, and their effort is paying off this gen.

i didn't feel anything wrong, they just want to let people who own both PS4 & XBO know that PS4 version will be one year later, so don't wait, just buy the XBO version...

Ka-pi96 said:
I think the whole deal has been a mistake from the beginning on Microsoft's part. Can only hope they got something, anything in exchange for this to make the deal at least a bit more worthwhile.

I really don't understand why MS went with this deal honestly. This game wasn't a big seller. Why weren't they talking with Square about FF7 or Shemnue 3 these are games that would get people going to their system. I guess maybe they are banking on word of mouth pushing sales for the TR sequel.

Microsoft wanted to be cheap and hence they didn't pay enough, to stop Square Enix from talking about a non-xbox version of the game.

Send a Friend Request On PSN :P

Around the Network
ethomaz said:
Nothing wrong between them.

Just Square Enix is all wrong betting in the wrong horse before the gen begin... now they are trying to fix these things.

Very interesing observation.  I never considered the possibility that the deal was made before the gen started.  That would explain a lot.  

SE probably did a deal based on projected sales of the XB1 provided by MS. SE then sat back confident that the money they took would compensate them for the revenue lost in sales for the PS4. Part of that deal would likely have been based upon that supposed increase in sales, which didn't transpire. That part is probably to do with the PS4 and PC announcement. SE were then caught in a trap: Announce it later in the hope that XB1 sales WOULD compensate them enough and get absolutely nothing from the PS4 release OR announce it sooner and at least recoup some of the good will. Then Fallout 4 was announced!

They opted for hopefully recouping some good will.

The PS5 Exists. 

Meh. Microsoft gets to fluff up its 'reasons to ask your parents for an XB1' this holiday (though it's also gonna be on 360...), and casuals will not know the difference or care about it being a timed company exclusive. All MS can do is hope that Tomb Raider isn't completely forgotten amidst Halo, CoDBlops & Fallout hype.

This announcement was basically SE saying "If your going to buy a X1 for TR, just wait". It makes sense considering SE is releasing a lot games exclusively for PS4 and want as many PS4s sold as possible before their big games release. The deal doesn't make sense and SE is just trying to fix everything with the fans imo.

I'm extremely happy that I'll be able to play this on PC and PS4.

Vasto said:
Aerys said:
Vasto said:

PS4 has the sales and the games so it does not really matter.

You forgot the most important !

Then people should not care about Tomb Raider. PS4 has the sales and the games.

Well more is always better, it brings more variety

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m