By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Rocket League: A bigger get for the PS4 than we're giving it credit?

Samus Aran said:
Burek said:

So, Sony foots the bill and lets their users play the game for free, while Nintendo charges their customers full retail price then locks most of the disc content so they cannot access it. 

You mean Sony locks their online behind a paywall and their fans are cheering them on after mocking MS about it last gen.

Not sure why you're comparing an indie game without a retail release to Splatoon anyway. Without being free this game wouldn't have sold anywhere near the amount Splatoon did.

I was not comparing those games, you were. But of course, the only reason you are here is because you have some sort of a pathological obsession of shitting on any positive Sony news that comes around.

It's OK, other people here are simply enjoying a great game, and we are doing it for our own sake, without regards what one small soul on the vast internet might feel about it.

Around the Network
Samus Aran said:

You mean Sony locks their online behind a paywall and their fans are cheering them on after mocking MS about it last gen.

Who's cheering having to pay money for something we didn't before? (although it's hardly just online gameplay now with PS+ but that is beside the point of the argument no?)

Having some extra games to play in compensation is at least something.

Hmm, pie.

Burek said:
Samus Aran said:

Not sure why you're comparing an indie game without a retail release to Splatoon anyway. Without being free this game wouldn't have sold anywhere near the amount Splatoon did.

I was not comparing those games, you were. But of course, the only reason you are here is because you have some sort of a pathological obsession of shitting on any positive Sony news that comes around.

It's OK, other people here are simply enjoying a great game, and we are doing it for our own sake, without regards what one small soul on the vast internet might feel about it.

No, I wasn't, you might want to read the discussion before commenting on it.

What does this have to do with Sony? It's not made by them and it isn't exclusive to the PS4 either.

Bolded: lol.

Samus Aran said:

No, I wasn't, you might want to read the discussion before commenting on it.

What does this have to do with Sony? It's not made by them and it isn't exclusive to the PS4 either.

Bolded: lol.

Yeah, I don't know, for something that has nothing to do with Sony, you sure bring them up a lot in this thread. 

This thread isn't about Splatoon. It's not about the pros and cons of paid online. And it's not the place for personal attacks.

Please get back on topic.

Around the Network

I was watching a guy from UK on Twitch playing on PS4 last night, pro rank league 1v1 but still saying "I've got so much to learn but I am getting better". and there were over 100,000 players on line. It was mostly taking less than 1 minute for him to get into matches. So it looks like online issues have been pretty well sorted, at least for EU servers. He was getting pretty good ping to ~20 most games.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

To address the point of the game just being given away, yes the game is being given for free on PS+ at the moment, but that does not change the fact that the people that are given the game are loving it. A lot of games are given away with PS+ or GWG, but it takes a really good game to become as popular as this one, so like I said, the giving away is serving as nothing but a kickstart to the games popularity.

Some changes since I made this thread to show said popularity:

The game has gotten 800 more reviews on steam as well as 3000 on the US PS Store and almost 4000 on the EU PS Store, all very positive (not literally every single one but the overall scroes havent changed from "very positive" and 5 stars).

The subreddit for the game has also gotten about 5k or so new members since I made the thread. (Not perfectly sure on the exact number since I don't remember where it was when I made this thread)

And the game has sold about 75k units on Steam this weekend alone.

binary solo said:
The thing that makes Rocket League a great e-sport is that it is a totally level playing field. Everyone has the same equipment and the same maneuvers. It's all pure player skill and nothing else. Pretty much all other e-sports there are elements which advantage or disadvantage a player to some degree independant of player skill.

It's a helluva fun game but I will never have the skill to really compete, So I will almost certainly just stick to the single player competition modes. Still a load of fun though. I will keep playing until I win a season on pro difficulty.

Reminds me of Gunz: The Duel. That game was insanely fun.

PwerlvlAmy said:
it looks fun but not anything overly amazing imo

There are only 2 kinds of people in this world. People who think Rocket League is amazing and people who haven't played it yet.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
PwerlvlAmy said:
it looks fun but not anything overly amazing imo

There are only 2 kinds of people in this world. People who think Rocket League is amazing and people who haven't played it yet.

True.  This is game is like drugs, once you start playing it, it's hard to put the controller away.  You can't realized how addictive it is until you play it.