By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Bold Prediction: Super Mario Maker is going to sell 2 million units this year.

Tagged games:

Do you agree with me?

That's not a bold prediction. 33 37.08%

Yes, of course. 31 34.83%

No, you idiot. 17 19.10%

I want a little bit of what Fleischr smoked. 8 8.99%

Total:89
fleischr said:
Considering 2D mario games are historically nearly just as strong as Mario Kart in sales and that the WiiU has a much stronger userbase than at either the MK8 or SSB4 launch, I think it'll be pretty easy. I figure 1.2 - 1.5 million just the first week alone.

I believe the appetite for great WiiU SW is much stronger than previously thought.

We also have to take into account that it's coming out near the holidays. But 4 million is still a bit too far-fetched .

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

Around the Network

I feel like this prediction isn't very bold at all...

Anfebious said:

I'm aware that there was an even bolder prediction: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=205031

But it's TOO bold, not going to happen. (4 million? What where you smoking fleischr!?) (PS: I love fleischr and my words aren't meant to be offensive.)

I'm not offended at all! :)

So for those not familiar with my thread, here's what I've been smoking: I made this prediction after attending the Nintendo Access event @ a local Best Buy where they demoed SMM. And I had these reflections:

Given that this was a much larger event than last year's SSB @ Best Buy (in terms of number of participating stores), I think Ninty's gearing up for their biggest marketing campaign for a WiiU game yet. The hands-on reaction from people was phenomally good. People of all ages gathered around to watch and play.

If I ran Nintendo, the #1 thing I know I could bet all my biscuits on would be a new 2D mario game, especially if I could re-capture years of nostalgia in it. People from the NES/early SNES generation now have children who will want this game. That family appeal gives this game a mass appeal arguably even larger than Mario Kart. This also being a far far better game than a regular NSMB, I see no reason why it couldn't compete for WiiU's best selling game yet.

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

2M? Maybe.

kitler53 said:
that is not a bold prediction.

It really isnt^ 2mil for a 2D Mario Game that people are actual excited for? It can release in Dec and it would hit 2mil this year

Around the Network
Dr.Vita said:
2M? Maybe.

So optimistic with so and so pessimistic with nintendo :P

2mil without a doubt will easily be achieved. Especially when Splatoon hit 1mil in under a month

tbone51 said:
kitler53 said:

It really isnt^ 2mil for a 2D Mario Game that people are actual excited for? It can release in Dec and it would hit 2mil this year

You are just jealous because I beat you to it.

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

I also have to agree that this isnt bold.This is a mario game we are talking about.Even if the marketing of this game was zero, it would likely to sell really well.And nintendo is pushing this, or at least started well.The championship was an excellent marketing(made me wanna buy the game) not to mention the demo that was avaible at the best buy.And surelly nintendo will keep showing this game, through directs and hpefully through commercials.So with 3 months, this can easily sell over 2 millions.Hell, ill even say it can pass 3 millions.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Anfebious said:
tbone51 said:
kitler53 said:

You are just jealous because I beat you to it.

If it were me it be 5mil :)

It's a 2D Mario game and it has a (seemingly) brilliant editor. Those 2 facts alone should guarantee 2 million this year. I say that it will sell even more. I think that this game has the potential to be one of the best selling games on the system.

Playing: F1 2016 (PC), Uncharted: The Lost Legacy (PS4)
Watching: Hajime no Ippo, Attack on Titan (4th time)
Upcoming purchases in October:
-TBD