By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo CEO Satoru Iwata has passed away

wow, very surprising. i knew he was sick but it still feels very sudden. i guess its hard to believe he would keep such an active and demanding role at nintendo if he knew he was soo sick so i just assumed things were under control.

Around the Network
bunchanumbers said:
Looking back on it, you can see it. He really lost a lot of weight over the last couple years and it never looked like he put it back. This is most likely why he didn't go to E3 this year and it makes sense. Travel in his condition would have been a bad idea. And this whole time he was thinking of nothing but turning the company around, even in his condition. I hope you rest in peace, Iwata. You deserve it.

Sadly, he would have most likely pushed himself to make the trip if there was a hardware announcement.

Salnax said:
Remember Balloon Fight?

Back in 1985, Balloon Fight was a fun little arcade style action games for up to two players. It was programmed by a young programmer from HAL Laboratory called Satoru Iwata.

In 2013, Nintendo was doing a bunch of sales on the Wii U Virtual Console for the Famicom's 30th anniversary. The first game on sale as chosen by President Iwata? Balloon Fight.

Maybe that's why so many people have liked Iwata. Even after becoming an executive, you got the feeling that he knew where all of this was coming from. He worked his way to the top and remembered the joy of both the players and developers. So much that when looking back at the Famicom decades later, he first thought of his debut project.

I'm going to play some Balloon Fight later tonight.

Right in the feels, man.

The Directs...... they will never be the same again. Sure there's Reggie and Trinen, but without Iwata, there's not even half the charm. It felt so sincere hearing the gaming news "Directly" from the President himself. Even though it won't be the same, I hope the next President continues this trend. The Directs were my favorite thing that Iwata added to Nintendo.

NNID: garretslarrity

Steam: garretslarrity

JRPGfan said:
bunchanumbers said:
Looking back on it, you can see it. He really lost a lot of weight over the last couple years and it never looked like he put it back. This is most likely why he didn't go to E3 this year and it makes sense. Travel in his condition would have been a bad idea. And this whole time he was thinking of nothing but turning the company around, even in his condition. I hope you rest in peace, Iwata. You deserve it.

This is why there was puppets.. ; _ ;

Holy shit. Thinking deeper into this, that defienitely makes sense, and he HAS lost weight. He was probably really sick, and he kept that private from the media. His not coming to E3 was telling. 

Around the Network
Aerys said:
Sad for him to die on WiiU era , a disaster... Thé best thing for a creator is to die after a master piece like thé GameCube

That sucks to live in japan after Fukushima i guess

... Kyoto is over 300 miles from Fukushima.  Radiation doesn't travel nearly that far.  These things sadly just happen.

Damn, this was out of nowhere, rest in peace Iwata.

Proud to be a Californian.

This is terrible, I thought he could make it til the NX becomes last-gen, peacefully left the company and in good hands. RIP Mr. Iwata......

He should have gone to Belgium for surgery (or preferebly Baki Topal to Japan). Baki Topal has developed a much safer procedure than the Whipple procedure Satoru Iwata underwent. :(

Someone in my family had this cancer and survived because he went to see Baki Topal all the way from Greece.

Chances of dying are two times lower with this procedure... I can't understand why Nintendo didn't send him to the best in the field. :(

https://www.uzleuven.be/node/20572

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

Iwata will always be remembered for all the joy he brought everyone. He always seemed like a genuinely good person who was always happy and wanted the best for everyone.

I can't get over this. It was too soon.

Rest in Peace, Satoru Iwata and thank you for everything you have done and all the memories you have given to everyone.