By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Can Splatoon in Japan be the highest selling Console Game of the Year?

Skullwaker said:
tbone51 said:
Bigger question would be when was it announced for HC lol.

That said actually can splatoon be in the top 3 games of the year including HH? O.o

Nah. I'd imagine that Yokai Watch Busters, Monster Hunter X and Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer will beat it out.

Top 5 is possible, however.

Lol, i forgot those games!

Around the Network
Skullwaker said:
tbone51 said:

That said actually can splatoon be in the top 3 games of the year including HH? O.o

Nah. I'd imagine that Yokai Watch Busters, Monster Hunter X and Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer will beat it out.

Top 5 is possible, however.

Lol, i forgot those games!

Skullwaker said:

Yokai Watch 3 is Summer 2016 now, but it's not even a console game so that doesn't matter.

But yeah, I don't see MGS being a big obstacle really.

Slightly off-topic but "console" refers to both home and handheld gaming devices by definition.  They both follow the same input-output-display loop.  System size is irrelevant.  It's up to the OP to specify which they mean, otherwise it's an open field.

"A video game console is a device that outputs a video signal or visual image to display a video game. The term "video game console" is used to distinguish a console machine primarily designed for consumers to use for playing video games in contrast to arcade machines or home computers. It includes the home video game consoles, the handheld game consoles, the microconsoles and the dedicated consoles."  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_console

On topic, relative to home consoles, I'd really love to see Persona 5 take the honors but I don't think it will have time.  I do think it will shatter first day sales records for the series, however.  Splatoon will probably continue to see consistently good sales throughout the rest of this year, as well.

tbone51 said:
small44 said:
Dr.Vita said:

What about Youkai Watch 3? Or Metal Gear Solid?
Dragon Quest Builders has a chance too!

Dragon Quest Heroes is at 790k, this should be also very very hard thing for Splatoon.

Youkai Watch 3 has a release date?

console = home console or handheld

pokoko said:
Slightly off-topic but "console" refers to both home and handheld gaming devices by definition.  They both follow the same input-output-display loop.  System size is irrelevant.  It's up to the OP to specify which they mean, otherwise it's an open field.

"A video game console is a device that outputs a video signal or visual image to display a video game. The term "video game console" is used to distinguish a console machine primarily designed for consumers to use for playing video games in contrast to arcade machines or home computers. It includes the home video game consoles, the handheld game consoles, the microconsoles and the dedicated consoles."  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_console

On topic, relative to home consoles, I'd really love to see Persona 5 take the honors but I don't think it will have time.  I do think it will shatter first day sales records for the series, however.  Splatoon will probably continue to see consistently good sales throughout the rest of this year, as well.

Yeah, but the OP refers to home console games and nothing more, meaning he's comparing Splatoon's sales to those and not handheld games. 

This thread really wouldn't exist if handheld was a factor, to be honest.

Official Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Thread

Around the Network

It has a chance, but I think other games like MGS5 or Super Mario Maker will beat it

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Yes, probably!

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

JP is crazy for Splatoon. Playing it there is nearly always at least one player from JP if not more...

I'd say there's a chance to beat DQH PS3/PS4 together, depends on how Splat continues to drop. Persona 5 is extremely overestimated by people (aka, no chance of P5 beating Splatoon) and MGSV will probably not reach MGSIV sales. Super Mario Maker is a contestant, but cant be so sure. I say Splatoon gets 250K+ more this year, so 600-700K for Splatoon this year at minimum. Persona 5 will probably max out at 600K-ish LTD, which isn't bad, but not enough to defeat them Squids.

I will say yes Mario maker will come to late to catch Splatoon and MGS4 had ~600k first year

PS4 - over 100 millions let's say 120m
Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

Vita - 15m if it will not get Final Fantasy Kingdoms Heart and Monster Hunter 20m otherwise
3DS - 80m