By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Would you buy a more expensive PS4 with BC and a Cell CPU?

Would you buy such a PS4 Cell model?

yes, i would switch from ... 118 27.19%

yes, i would choose this one now 68 15.67%

no, i would choose the normal PS4 209 48.16%

no, i dont like the PS4 at all currently 39 8.99%

Total:434
ganoncrotch said:
Aeolus451 said:
I have a 80 GB fully BC PS3 so no I wouldn't.

Try Tekken Tag Tournie 1 in that badboy :) see just how fully BC it isn't.

On Topic tho, you can get a PS3 now in 2nd hand stores for 90euros or so, I really don't think Sony should be looking at spending R&D dollars on trying to make PS3 games work in it natively, with the complexity of the PS3's innards it would be a massive effort for little reward, I'd say most PS4 fans would rather Sony sink their time and energies into making future games look nicer.

From what I read, that game works just fine after a firmware update.

Around the Network
wambam24 said:
No. The best thing Sony can do is unlock games you own and stream the game through PlayStation Now. So for example, if you own uncharted disc and the game is on playstion now. Insert your disk and play the ps now stream version free.

That would be pretty awesome if they could set it up like that. Would be rather costly to them with network bandwidth tho for no money back, just the sale of UC1 what like... 7 years ago? costly costly for Sony.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

fatslob-:O said:
Ruler said:

1. Yes it is ...

2. You wouldn't know since your not a developer ...

3. What do the developers behind Evolve have to do with this ? Naughty Dog and Geurilla Games aren't the only ones when you have other guys like Crytek and Epic Games ... 

4. What THEY can do doesn't tell if the Cell can be leveraged in this case. Hell, the Jaguar APUs are probably a better idea for physics simulation than the poor Cell when all things are considered ...

crytek and epic havent brought something ground breaking since ages. 

The Cell CPU is a 3.2 Ghz CPU with 8 Threads/PPEs. Its in many ways stronegr than the Jaguar CPU. Look at the Last Guardian to see the fullest potential

if you give the cell processor 1 single task like making the skin of the bird or the physics it should work like a breeze while the APU from the PS4 could do the rest 

No. And BC isn't gonna be big.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Yes. I'm willing to pay a premium on hardware for native BC.

Around the Network

I would love to see full upscaled ps1 and ps2 emulation on ps4 which is realistic but I don't want to pay extra for ps3 compatibility.

What's this sudden fascination with BC?

nah, I'm okay as it is. my ps3 works just fine.

Ruler said:

crytek and epic havent brought something ground breaking since ages. 

Sure they did like Ryse: Son of Rome being a technical masterpiece and these unreal engine 4 demo's blow whatever Naughty Dog or Guerilla games are doing ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6EMc6eu3c8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cH2_RkfStSk

Ruler said:

The Cell CPU is a 3.2 Ghz CPU with 8 Threads/PPEs. Its in many ways stronegr than the Jaguar CPU. Look at the Last Guardian to see the fullest potential

The Cell is weak, the only time it ever even matches up against the Jaguar cores is cloth simulation or in other workloads with heavy crunching of vectors/matrices ...

No shared memory, poor branch handling, and a 256kB local store limit for SPUs all start adding up to a poor design for a CPU. Almost every modern x86 CPUs out there will run circles around the Cell processor including the disasterous AMD bulldozer ...

If the Cell was so strong why didn't Sony or their engineers opt for it on the PS4 ? 

Ruler said:

if you give the cell processor 1 single task like making the skin of the bird or the physics it should work like a breeze while the APU from the PS4 could do the rest 

According to Tachikoma, The last Guardian choked on the PS3 so how's that for a "breeze" ? 

It's pretty clear that your overrating the cell processor ...

My 6-year old PS3 is still running like it was new.