By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What were your expectations/predictions about press conferences before E3?

Nintendo giving us true sequels to some of their treasured IP. Instead, while we do get sequels some of them, others were an absolute disappointments. If anything, it seemed more so like a morbid form of humour to the fanbase than a conference. Hopefully Nintendo does better at the Tokyo Game Show.

Microsoft. Was expecting their "Holy Grail" of games. Got that and received backwards compatibility. While it was a great addition, had this been announced at the beginning of the generation, this would have been a game changer for them. Either way, a great conference; an even better Gamescom to come.

Sony: Horizon was my biggest anticipated game; greatest fear no less. How it would do was my biggest question, and thankfully, that question was successfully answered. Reviving the "Triforce of Legends" was also something totally unexpected. EA Games and Activision were expected; as my personal thoughts of Battlefront and Black Ops III were were confirmed. In my personal opinion, easily the best E3 Sony has ever had; arguably the best E3 of all time. Had the price cut happened, easily would have been my answer.

" It has never been about acknowledgement when you achieve something. When you are acknowledged, then and only then can you achieve something. Always have your friends first to achieve your goals later." - OnlyForDisplay

Around the Network

I expected Horizon and Media Molecule's new IP and most of the other stuff...but I certainly didn't expect the holy trinity!

I am Iron Man

Half the info was leak/rumor ahead time in Neogaf I'm not surprise after E3

Microsoft: I expected it to be meh, ended up decent
Sony: I expected it to be pretty good and it definitely exceeded my expectations
Nintendo: I expected Metroid, AC, and Paper Mario, what i got was a confirmation that the NX is coming next year.

Wii U NNID:  CWegzz
3DS Friend Code:  4210-5277-5484
PSN:  Ronnoc4
Steam:  CWegz

Nintendo sucked, MIcrosoft only showed their 2015 schedule and a couple new IP's and Sony owned E3 by showing what they will offer in 2016 and beyond. Microsoft and Sony won in two distinctly different ways. Microsoft proved they own 2015 and Sony showed they have a hell of a lot coming.

Part two of Microsofts offerings comes at Gamescom when they reveal their 2016 catalogue.

Around the Network

I expected all three to be boring, to be honest.

Expectation: Nintendo would show a small number of games I probably don't care about in between cutesy meme-skits.
Reality: Nintendo's was worse than I expected. Almost fell asleep during this, but it was over pretty quickly. Fire Emblem still looks shiny.

Expectation: Microsoft will put out a very game-centric presentation that will still manage to bore me somehow. 
Reality: Microsoft's went about as I thought it would, surprisingly sans Call of Duty. Re-Core looks interesting. I'd praise Cuphead, but wasn't it shown already last year? Best game shown, regardless. The big exclusives all had fairly dull gameplay footage, too dark, too slow, or too 'been-there-done-that.' Had to rewind it a few times because I kept falling asleep.

Expectation: Sony will boast & coast on their success. No surprises, lots of sales & stats talk, almost 100% 3rd party stuff, and generally piss away any chance of exciting the base.
Reality: Sony's was surprising on multiple fronts. Call of Duty. The three wishes. Horizon debuted and looked way better than expected. Minimal corporate BS and Morpheus talk. 

I don't care about grading presentations - I tend to not care far more about the actual product than the advertisement - but Sony made me happy, Nintendo continued to depress me (like a fun uncle the kids like, but the adults know he's drinking his life away), and Microsoft continued to play the music I don't like.

Nintendo: I expected it to be the calm before the NX storm.
I was right.
Sony: I expected nothing exclusive to interest me and a lot of 3rd party.
I was (mainly) right, though Uncharted looks good.
Microsoft: I expected two Gears games and a few surprises.
I was right, except there more than "a few" surprises in there!

There were a lot Nintendo gamers who said that Playstation will have a horrible E3 and Nintendo will have a great E3. The contrary happened and this was what I said before E3!

Dr.Vita said:
There were a lot Nintendo gamers who said that Playstation will have a horrible E3 and Nintendo will have a great E3. The contrary happened and this was what I said before E3!

You mean like this? ;)

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=204215&page=1

I expected Microsoft to go all out and win this E3. While it was a good show, I did think the footage of Halo and Gears they had display was kind of lacking. I also thought they spent a bit too much time with stuff like Hololens, which is better off in a tech showcase than a presentation about games. Still, a good performance in whole. I especially liked the downloadable games they displayed. Some games were missing, though, which was odd. 7.5/10

I was unsure about Sony's presentation. Usually I expect less from them because they spread material out for GC and TGS but I understand that they won't do a presentation at GC this year. They ended up nailing it, in my opinion. It was leaps and bounds over last year's show. The Uncharted footage was spectacular, Horizon was awesome, and the surprises were genuinely surprising. Probably the best paced E3 presentation I've ever seen. 8.5/10

Honestly, I didn't expect much from Nintendo. I've been saying for over a year that they probably stopped greenlighting big projects for the Wii U and we pretty much got confirmation of that. However, because of Splatoon, I thought that they might still be releasing high quality new IP with could get a running jump for the next system. I was wrong about that.

I made it past the puppets. I made it past the presentation about how shrines influenced Starfox. I gave up when Reggie and the guy from Activision were pretending to be super excited about cheap looking toys. Worse than expected/10