By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Capcom: Sony's ambition is to make the PS4 home of the fighting genre.

deskpro2k3 said:
bigtakilla said:

But you gotta consider what are the biggest names in fighting games when you consider something the "home" of them.  PS has gotten Street FIghter exclusive, but the next biggest name in the fighting genre (and gaining popularity) is Smash Bros. 

Hard to consider something the "home" of a genre when it's missing the second biggest name in the genre.

remind me why you're in a sony discussion regarding a sony game and talking about smash bro? oh i get it, damage control.

on topic, i always considered sony the hame of all genre.

you are the one doing damage control. smash bros is the biggest fighting franchise and nothing can be the home of fighting genre without it.

Around the Network

Very happy Sony promotoing GGXRD in Japan by inviting player like Daigo and Fab to have team versus so hype for that.

BraLoD said:
heavenharp said:

except games.

Yeah, isn't like the PS4 has the most amount of games released and sold.

Oh, wait...

correct. real games are scarce and far between on ps4. at least ps and ps2 had lots of games but things started to go downhill on ps3.

Where has Capcom been? Playstation has always been home of fighting genre, no matter how much EVO is sponsored by MS.

Well, except for that blip around Dreamcast.

Hmm, pie.

Glad you all games to play that are fun but no console would be the home of the fighting genre for me without smash bros. No universal home, at least. We each get our own games to play that we like though, so there's that.

Around the Network
Dulfite said:
Glad you all games to play that are fun but no console would be the home of the fighting genre for me without smash bros. No universal home, at least. We each get our own games to play that we like though, so there's that.

By that logic, nintendo will never be the home of platformer a because it's missing little big planet. At least for me, a home for the fighting genre implies that that home has a wide diversity of fighting games for the consumer, and a wide variety of fighting game fans for developers of fighting games. Ps4 seems to be the closest thing to that goal without the competition folding, so it's pretty safe to say it is the home of fighters

midrange said:
Dulfite said:

By that logic, nintendo will never be the home of platformer a because it's missing little big planet. At least for me, a home for the fighting genre implies that that home has a wide diversity of fighting games for the consumer, and a wide variety of fighting game fans for developers of fighting games. Ps4 seems to be the closest thing to that goal without the competition folding, so it's pretty safe to say it is the home of fighters

I never said it was the home of platformers. I don't think any company is the home to any specific genre of games (because they all have ones that are decent or really good examples). Now, even Nintendo has a "shooter" (basically the only thing they were missing). Everyone feels the love.

bananaking21 said:
HylianYoshi said:
Don't people prefer Xbox for fighting games, though?

What? No, PS has usually been the home of the fighting genre. Sales of fighting games on playstation are usually higher than xbox

This is true, but Xbox has had a strong following in that genre and that has continued with the success of Killer Instinct and Mortal Kombat.

Not getting get is SFV is a blow to Xbox, but other fighters will still have success on Xbox.

MS should buy King of Fighters and make something at par with SFV! But that aint gonna happen...

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

I'm a bit confused, since when was smash the biggest fighting game franchise? It isn't in the competitive scene or from an overall sales perspective, so how is it the biggest in any sense?

Dulfite said:
midrange said:

I never said it was the home of platformers. I don't think any company is the home to any specific genre of games (because they all have ones that are decent or really good examples). Now, even Nintendo has a "shooter" (basically the only thing they were missing). Everyone feels the love.

Well it all goes back down to whatever definition you choose to use. I will say however, that if you buy a wii u for smash, you are not buying it to experience fighting games, you are buying it for smash. This is because you miss every other fighter out there. In my opinion, a fighting game fan who gives up every other fighting game for smash, really isn't a fighting game fan, they are just a smash bros fan. This is why I believe ps4 to be the home of fighting games, because it provides the most options and least compromises for those who enjoy fighting games