By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Digitimes: Nintendo NX will be released in 2016.

Please don't. I think 5 years is the minimum a console should get. Wii U still has enough to push it through 2016, and could survive 2017 with games like Animal Crossing and Paper Mario. Please do not do this. This is what Sega did with the Saturn.

XBOX ONE/Wii U/3DS/PC

RIP Iwata 12/6/1959-7/11/2015

Thanks for all the great memories!

Around the Network
DarkRPGamer007 said:
Please don't. I think 5 years is the minimum a console should get. Wii U still has enough to push it through 2016, and could survive 2017 with games like Animal Crossing and Paper Mario. Please do not do this. This is what Sega did with the Saturn.

Xbox(2001) -> Xbox360(2005),

GBA (2001) -> DS (2004)

Things will work out fine, the sales just arnt there to support a longer gen with the Wii U.

As much as I think the NX is launching next year, July isn't happening unless they're referring to the handheld skew. Don't think I buy this.

Also, 20m shipped is absurd. Definitely not buying this.

DarkRPGamer007 said:

No it doesn't and no it definitely couldn't. It's barely surviving now.

spemanig said:
As much as I think the NX is launching next year, July isn't happening unless they're referring to the handheld skew. Don't think I buy this.

Also, 20m shipped is absurd. Definitely not buying this.

I like the fusion concept... and with the way nintendos handhelds sell... this could be the one game console from nintendo you dont want to miss out on.

Also if theyre going for the same game library as the handheld version, only at higher resolutions.... its probably not going to be the biggest monster in terms of hardware costs. So we re probably looking at a cheap system to buy.

Plus how long as it been since we had a home console with game cartridges? nostalgia will kick in, people eat that right up.

*edit:

Also supposedly Digitimes has very acurate info on leaks generally from inside foxconn. Stuff about the iphones ect.

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:

I like the fusion concept... and with the way nintendos handhelds sell... this could be the one game console from nintendo you dont want to miss out on.

Also if theyre going for the same game library as the handheld version, only at higher resolutions.... its probably not going to be the biggest monster in terms of hardware costs. So we re probably looking at a cheap system to buy.

If by cheap, you mean like $250, I definitely don't agree. If by cheap you mean like $300, maybe. I'm still betting it'll be like $350-$400, though. Most games this gen are possible on last gen hardware anyway. I think the NX console version of games will be like the PS4/XBO version of a cross-gen game while the NXDS version will be like the PS360(WiiU) versions.

It's not that NXDS games will scale up to the NX, but that NX games will scale down to the NXDS. 

JRPGfan said:

Plus how long as it been since we had a home console with game cartridges? nostalgia will kick in, people eat that right up.

*edit:

Also supposedly Digitimes has very acurate info on leaks generally from inside foxconn. Stuff about the iphones ect.

Not even Nintendo is going to sacrifice basic functionality for nostalgia. Carts are dead with the NX. The NXDS will be all digital.

On the reliability of Digitimes, if they are that accurate, I genuinely cannot fathom how Nintendo expects to sell through 20m unit of their next system after they just failed so incredibly hard with their current one. That comment about returning to "Nintendo-like" profits next year is no joke. Sounds like they're shooting for another Wii-like success.

Which worries me, because look at the Wii.

Look at how The "PS TV" is compaired to the PS Vita... its basicaly a console version of a handheld.
That is what I think the next nintendo console will be.

The PS TV is sold some places for 39$.

I think Nintendo can do their own version, of a handheld -> home console, thats not 350$+.
And its needs to be able to run the same games as the handheld... the easiest way is to actually allow it to do so.
That means game cartridges are back, imo.

Nx: tablet based wiiu with android emulation?
It's looking possible with that 20m shipped figure.
maybe not July but later in the year? Possibly november

MoHasanie said:
I don't believe it. But a 2016 launch for the NX is looking likely :( .

This is good news! This means that NX will be around for years and years. As long as NX has the right power, it could be a great situation for Nintendo.