By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Digitimes: Nintendo NX will be released in 2016.

20 million first year is clearly something Nintendo believes will be a huge hit. They clearly believe they have a product like the wii or better that will be a must purchase for many people.

I don't know what it is but I'm hoping it something brilliant. Something with VR I hope.

Around the Network
bonzobanana said:
20 million first year is clearly something Nintendo believes will be a huge hit. They clearly believe they have a product like the wii or better that will be a must purchase for many people.

I don't know what it is but I'm hoping it something brilliant. Something with VR I hope.

It's definitely not VR based considering a few higher ups at Nintendo have recently spoken out about VR not being fun in its current state. I guess there is a very slim chance they plan on finding a way to make VR fun but I think they are focusing on something else entirely.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

I must admit I still think it could have some sort of VR in limited form perhaps augmented VR. Maybe a handheld that doubles as a VR visor and has camera's built in so the gameplay is seen with your normal vision. Maybe a handheld with a high definition 1080p screen but which a body that quickly clips into a VR visor design similar to the google cardboard VR visor but done properly. Whatever I'm very interested to know what it is.

FragilE^ said:
20 million first year? That would suggest a proper replacement for both the 3DS and the WiiU. I really doubt people would be so quick to upgrade, when we've just seen the lackluster support for the Wii U. Unless ofc they really do have the new 3d mario, zelda and metroid at launch. But I don't think they would have those games at launch because that would limit their sales.
Hmm I don't know. I want it in 2016 though, but I don't think it's possible or even the best decision.

Probably for launch we will have 3D Mario, Zelda U port and maybe that Diddy Kong Racing rumour or something else, that would be pretty strong launch titles.

DolPhanTendo said:
Wrong with the death of Iwata things like NX will be delayed anyone with common sense knows this. They have to the company a leader first and that does not happen over night

I dont think so, Nintendo already have plans for next around 5 years and they will proceed with it even without Iwata. Finding new CEO is separate from shudle plans and they will certainly find CEO in next couple of months.

Around the Network
bonzobanana said:
I must admit I still think it could have some sort of VR in limited form perhaps augmented VR. Maybe a handheld that doubles as a VR visor and has camera's built in so the gameplay is seen with your normal vision. Maybe a handheld with a high definition 1080p screen but which a body that quickly clips into a VR visor design similar to the google cardboard VR visor but done properly. Whatever I'm very interested to know what it is.

VR is still expensive, and Nintendo has stated that they want NX to be affordable.

And a handheld is too bulky and heavy to think of a solution like the Samsung Gear VR.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

It's controlled by a kite.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

JEMC said:
bonzobanana said:

VR is still expensive, and Nintendo has stated that they want NX to be affordable.

And a handheld is too bulky and heavy to think of a solution like the Samsung Gear VR.

A budget VR system running at a slightly lower resolution with the underlying hardware not super capable but still capable of amazing 3D for cartoon graphics like Mario and Zelda is perfectly possible.  However that said I really don't know what NX is and may be something completely different.

bonzobanana said:
JEMC said:
bonzobanana said:

A budget VR system running at a slightly lower resolution with the underlying hardware not super capable but still capable of amazing 3D for cartoon graphics like Mario and Zelda is perfectly possible.  However that said I really don't know what NX is and may be something completely different.

Even with  cartoon graphics as you say, an VR headset with low resolution displays would be a bad idea as the experience would be subpar.

VR headsets don't go with high pixel density displays just for the sake of it, but because they are needed. And with those displays comes the need for hardware powerful enough to feed all those pixels, even with cartoony games.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

JEMC said:
bonzobanana said:
JEMC said:
bonzobanana said:

Even with  cartoon graphics as you say, an VR headset with low resolution displays would be a bad idea as the experience would be subpar.

VR headsets don't go with high pixel density displays just for the sake of it, but because they are needed. And with those displays comes the need for hardware powerful enough to feed all those pixels, even with cartoony games.

Comfortable VR is more about eliminating lag so that when you rotate your head the world quickly turns with you. When I tried the original Oculus Rift the resolution was terrible but the experience still amazing on the roller coaster ride. It really is possible for Nintendo to create a VR device quite cheaply, a device at a level enough for many of Nintendo's own franchises. Typical Nintendo graphics with bright simple colours, often repeated textures and a basic game world not requiring realistic physics or graphics effects is certainly possible. Don't forget there are already many VR experiences on IOS, Android etc that make use of the cardboard VR goggles and we are talking about something that sits between those and the full fat PC/PS4 VR experience.