By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Digitimes: Nintendo NX will be released in 2016.

There will be overlap regardless though. If the Fusion idea is true, I'm buying both the home version and the portable version because: A) I like to be able to play Nintendo games on the go or portably around the house and B) I also like to play Nintendo games on my big screen TV.

If there's a spec difference between the two as well (ie: the home version can run the same games with higher resolution and a few extra graphics effects), that's also another motivation to buy both.

Around the Network
kristianity77 said:
The thing is, even if it does release in 2016, unless it absolutely thumps the Xbox or PS4 in terms of raw power, just who in the hell is this thing going to attract? I mean, you would hazard a guess that 2016 and 2017 will be the peak of the PS4/Xbox lifespan in terms of software, so who are they aiming this at? If they are wanting people to shift from Wii U to this then great, there is your first 10 million sales over a period of a year at absolute best but then who else do you target?

this

I just can't see their next home console being a 'thing' anymore

Gameboy Advance was formally unveiled at Spaceworld 2000 in August 2000 and released in March 2001, 7 months later.

Nintendo could have a Direct in Jan/Feb and release in worldwide in July/August.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
Gameboy Advance was formally unveiled at Spaceworld 2000 in August 2000 and released in March 2001, 7 months later.

Nintendo could have a Direct in Jan/Feb and release in worldwide in July/August.

I think they are going to do a press conference. They need the press and some public to try and give nice impressions.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

zorg1000 said:
DerNebel said:

With an overlap of probably close to 100%? At a time where mobile gaming was still not as popular as it is today?

Yes, there is likely a large overlap between 3DS/Wii U owners (certainly not 100%) but if NX has 2 skus (1 handheld & 1 console) there will still likely be a large amount of Nintendo fans buying both.

Also, ur right mobile gaming has gotten bigger in the last few years but ur also ignoring that 3DS/Wii U had horrible post-launch droughts, high price points and some initial confusion of what they were (many thought 3DS was simply a DS redesign with 3D and many people thought Wii U was a new controller add-on for Wii).

So if these devices launch at a more reasonable price point, have first year software support and strong marketing/advertising that doesn't confuse consumers than matching 3DS/Wii U first year sales isn't out of the question.

When in the world did this become a 1 console and 1 handheld SKU thing?

Around the Network
Pavolink said:
zorg1000 said:

I think they are going to do a press conference. They need the press and some public to try and give nice impressions.

If they reveal during the next E3, Nintendo could do a regular Direct/Digital Event leaving the last part of said direct to show some renders, game trailers and such things and then move to their Treehouse event with Reggie or Iwata holding the machine and doing some real live demos not only for us on the internet but also for every E3 attendant.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

JEMC said:
Pavolink said:
zorg1000 said:

If they reveal during the next E3, Nintendo could do a regular Direct/Digital Event leaving the last part of said direct to show some renders, game trailers and such things and then move to their Treehouse event with Reggie or Iwata holding the machine and doing some real live demos not only for us on the internet but also for every E3 attendant.

I expect to announce early in the year. Around February and March.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

zorg1000 said:

Most systems are actually unveiled and released within 6-11 months. PS4, XBox One, 3DS, DS, Game Boy Advance, XBox 360, PS Vita, PSP.

Nintendo's consoles were really actually the only oddball one left. 

I think they will have a formal presser in Japan around March 2016, then a full game reveal with playable products at E3 2016, then a launch thereafter starting with the portable version in Japan first. 

DerNebel said:
zorg1000 said:
DerNebel said:

With an overlap of probably close to 100%? At a time where mobile gaming was still not as popular as it is today?

Yes, there is likely a large overlap between 3DS/Wii U owners (certainly not 100%) but if NX has 2 skus (1 handheld & 1 console) there will still likely be a large amount of Nintendo fans buying both.

Also, ur right mobile gaming has gotten bigger in the last few years but ur also ignoring that 3DS/Wii U had horrible post-launch droughts, high price points and some initial confusion of what they were (many thought 3DS was simply a DS redesign with 3D and many people thought Wii U was a new controller add-on for Wii).

So if these devices launch at a more reasonable price point, have first year software support and strong marketing/advertising that doesn't confuse consumers than matching 3DS/Wii U first year sales isn't out of the question.

When in the world did this become a 1 console and 1 handheld SKU thing?

A previous investor meeting where Iwata spoke about unifying their handheld & hardware divisions, he spoke about having a strategy more similar to Apple with iOS by having devices share an operating system in order to have better software output. He said it's even possible that we see more form factors with such an approach and that a single 2-in-1 device is not likely.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Pavolink said:
JEMC said:
Pavolink said:
zorg1000 said:

I expect to announce early in the year. Around February and March.

And since when does Nintendo do what we expect them to do?

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.