By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Xbox One, PS4 sales "disappointing" in China - Report

Lawlight said:
Well, China is still a poor country in general.

Oh no you didn't......... 

Around the Network

Truly unfournate really. Neither console can obtain good sales with such a limited library. I just hope TGS gives the Chinese owners of either console some hope.

" It has never been about acknowledgement when you achieve something. When you are acknowledged, then and only then can you achieve something. Always have your friends first to achieve your goals later." - OnlyForDisplay

I am still shocked that Nintendo never got up in China. Almost their entire library is legal there. Nintendo should have been the first one in there with a complete advertising blitz showing how many games can legally be played on it.

S.Peelman said:
I feel like I can say "Told you so" to a couple of people but I don't remember who anymore.

i feel the same but then i remember that i don't own a business so what would i know about console sales in china. 

Lawlight said:

Top Ten RIchest countries 2015

10. France
 9.  Uk
 8.  Indonesia
 7.  Brazil
 6.  Russia
 5.  Germany
 4.  Japan
 3.  India
 2.  United States
 1.  China

Source 

If China is poor then what does that make the rest of us?

Around the Network

Like ZhugeEX mentioned,they don't track imported games and console from outside of the country.

Lawlight said:

That's not a problem, China is the second largest gaming market now, expected to surpass US in a few years. The reason is PC gaming had time to develop and gain a foothold it now commands probably 90% of China's core gamers if not more.

Aeolus451 said:

Top Ten RIchest countries 2015

10. France
 9.  Uk
 8.  Indonesia
 7.  Brazil
 6.  Russia
 5.  Germany
 4.  Japan
 3.  India
 2.  United States
 1.  China

Source 

If China is poor then what does that make the rest of us?

Using the purchasing power parity (PPP) metric is flawed ... 

A much more realistic way to measure wealth is to compare a country's nominal GDP and China still has quite a ways to go before it can match the US on that front ...

Plus China has a high population to nominal GDP ratio so that further reduces the citizens income power ... 

Set top boxes. Smart TV's. Mobile games. PC. Are these markets as insanely regulated as consoles are? I'm not unaware of how restrictive China can be with all forms of media, but if anybody has insight, it would be appreciated.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Lawlight said:

But they still have 10s of millions of rich people. Because while it is a poor country in general is still has a population of over 1.3 BILLION people. The richest 1% of the population is 13 million people, which is half the population of Australia. And the 1%ers in China are as rich as the 1%ers anywhere except maybe Japan, USA, UK and Germany. And I would guess the 5%ers (~65 million people) at least in China have the disposable income to afford a console if they want one. The thing is, it seems they don't want one, or at least they don't want one that is subject to all the official controls that come with buying a console through normal China retail channels.

Then there is the one child thing. In families with 2 or more kids there's a better chance that at least one of them will be into video games. With a one child family there isn't as much chance of the kid being into video games. In this situation it requires a generation of gamers to become parents to start perpetuating a video gaming culture. I think China is probably back in the 80's or 90's in terms of pervasiveness of video gaming in the population. It should advance faster with the online world we live in now, but that will tend to keep people on PC and only slowly migrate to consoles, if ever.

If we assume the population of people well off enough to be able to afford a console is roughly the population of the UK, then if material means was the only issue we would reasonably expect 1.5-2 million combined PS4 and Xb one sales in the first year. The fact that we are looking at 1/3 to 1/4 of this means there are factors other than simple affordability at work here.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix