By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Games That You Thought Would Be Worse/Better

Thought it would be better:

Ni No Kuni - Pacing didn't do it for me

Evolve - God this was awful

Child of Light - Didn't dig the combat system

God of War (all of them) - More to do with the genre I think

Thought it would be worse:

Dantes Inferno - Figured I would hate it because of my feelings towards GoW. Wound up with a platinum on it.

BioShock - Rented the game while high on vicodin after having my wisdom teeth removed. Now I have a Big Daddy tattoo on my arm.

Arkham Asylum - Figured it would be like all the other bad superhero based games

Catherine - Didn't expect to buy it twice. This is actually the game that made me stop trading in games and begin actively collecting them

Around the Network

Fire Emblem - Thought it would be worse
Mother 3 - Thought it would be worse
Metroid Prime - Thought it would be better
Legend of Zelda (3D) - Thought it would be better
Super Mario 3D Land - Thought it would be better

Kotastic said:

Which Zelda is this?

Can't wait for The Zelder Scrolls 3: Breath of The Wild Hunt!

TLOZ: Skyward Sword / Thought it would be better
Metroid Other M / Thought it would be better

With Skyward I really liked the motion controls and some of the dungeons are cool, but everything else... the story was underwhelming, characters (aside from Impa and Groose) were forgettable, music wasn't really memorable, visually is fine, much better than Twilight Princess at least, the backtracking is horrible, the Imprisoned may be the worst boss I have ever faced in my life (doesn't help that I have to fight it 6 times if I want the Hylian Shield), the Sky and exploration was boring as the game tells you where everything is and Fi is annoying, the other bosses weren't much better, the items were underplayed in combat for the benefit of the swordplay and I'm not a fan of that I like being able to kill enemies in different ways. Worst 3D Zelda for me (Is not a bad game, it's good but it's the worst of the 3D games for me).

Now Other M, I think I don't have to add anything about why the story and characters are so terrible, so the positives: visuals... that it's. The combat is a mindless button masher with no strategy whatsoever, music is abysmal aside from the great remix of the Ridley theme, this soundtrack is an insult to Metroid, exploration is pretty limited and the authrorization system is dumb (specially in the Pyrosphere), the bosses are mediocre (with the exception of Ridley) and the whole game for me is really boring, part of why I love Metroid is that I can pick up any game in the series and beat it again and again, Other M I barely could start a second playthrough. (Worst Metroid game period, Pinball had way more atmosphere and Metroid like quality to it). 

The order/ though it would be better.

Around the Network

Thought it would be better:
- The Witcher 3, great in some aspects, very average to sometimes annoying during game play.
- Project cars, bad controller support, so many bugs
- Toren, Ico like indie, didn't do it for me
- Captain Toad treasure tracker, not what I expected
- LBP 3, story mode was meh
- Mario Kart 8, kart racers still don't get me excited

Thought it would be worse:
- The Order 1886, gun fights were actually fun
- DriveClub, best track racer since the old NFS and Burnout games.
- Spin tires, crawling around at 2kph turned out to be a lot more exciting than it should be.
- Minecraft PS4, why is this fun, I don't know, brb got to build more stuff.
- Oddworld new 'n tasty, great addictive remaster, had to get the platinum
- Transistor, expected it to be great, yet it was consistently awesome for two playthroughs and all the extra challenges.
- Fract OSC, who plays a puzzle game twice in a row, I did, made some fun music too.

LA Noire - Thought it would be better.  I was so hyped for this game.  The media could not stop talking about how amazing it was.  I very rarely pre-order a new IP but I just knew this was going to be revolutionary.  It still pisses me off that I bought that turkey Day One.  So boring and awkward and bland.  I never finished it.

Bayonetta - Thought it would be better.  I will admit it, I was enticed by the smutty vibe.  That got so old, so fast, however, to the point that even I would roll my eyes at how silly it was.

Uncharted 2 - Thought it would be better.  Now, I'll be honest, I didn't get that far into it, but auto-platforming does not excite me in the least.  That whole bit with the train bored the hell out of me.

Tomb Raider - Thought it would be better.  Kind of the same with Uncharted 2 but much, much worse.  I didn't care for the auto-platforming but the QTEs totally killed it for me.  I've never been more annoyed with a game in my entire life.  I deleted it with relish.

Crysis 2 - Thought it would be better.  People were still praising the previous Crysis games and a lot was expected from Crysis 2.  Damn, though, I don't know if I've ever cared less about a story.  Some levels were fun but, mostly, I just wanted it to be over.  I simply did not care about what was happening at all.

Far Cry 3 - Thought it would be worse.  That game exceeded my expectations by a lot.  

Suikoden - Thought it would be worse.  Rented this as a kid.  I'd never heard of it before.  I just assumed it would be like something to get me by until another Final Fantasy came out.  Turned out to be one of my favorite series of all time.

Esiar said:
Kotastic said:

Which Zelda is this?

A good chunk of them. Skyward Sword, Ocarina of Time, and Wind Waker. I've played like a 1/3 to 1/2 of each game and kinda got bored and went off to play better games in my backlog. I know these are well-crafted games but the genre just doesn't suit me at all.

Kotastic said:
Esiar said:

Which Zelda is this?

A good chunk of them. Skyward Sword, Ocarina of Time, and Wind Waker. I know these are well-crafted games but the genre just doesn't suit me at all.

What about Twilight Princess and Majora's Mask?

Can't wait for The Zelder Scrolls 3: Breath of The Wild Hunt!

Esiar said:
Kotastic said:

A good chunk of them. Skyward Sword, Ocarina of Time, and Wind Waker. I know these are well-crafted games but the genre just doesn't suit me at all.

What about Twilight Princess and Majora's Mask?

I haven't bothered to try it since my past experience and it's likely that i'll just put it down at some point during the game. I know Majora's Mask might be an exception but I don't want to shell out $40 for the 3DS version and I'm not fond of buying an archaic version in the VC to a series I'm not fond of to begin with.