By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - RPGs that you loved more on a 2nd playthrough?

I played Final Fantasy 8 and hated it... I played it a second time, cause I was writing an article, and I liked it considerably better. Don't get me wrong, the game had HUGE flaws in it, but there are some things it did pretty well.

Around the Network

I didn't like or finish either FFXIII or FFX the first time through. The second time through I actually enjoyed FFXIII quite a bit and platinumed it; FFX is still mediocre -- but I'm still gonna plat it.

Golden Sun 1&2
Persona 3 FES. Persona 4 Golden
Star Ocean 3

InnocentSin said:
Dusk said:
I don't get the question really.
Why would you play through a game AGAIN if you disliked it the first time? Are you a masochist?
If I don't like a game I don't play it. No, this has never happened to me.

Sorry, I should've clarified and asked it differently. Really it's more of a question whether your opinion towards an RPG was better on a repeat playthrough.

OH! Well, that's different :D

I have had mixed experiences with this. FFVI is always as good as I remember it. I have played through it a few times. Lufia 2 was better the second time through. FFVII is good, but not as good as I remembered it being. Chrono Trigger has also not quite lived up to my memory of it unfortunately. It's a great game, but not as GREAT as I remembered lol. I never had a chance to play through all that much of Earthbound when I first rented it back when it came out (I'm old) I didn't make it that far and remembered enjoying it, but when I got it on the Virtual Console the game blew my mind, just superb. 

Gotta figure out how to set these up lol.

All of my PS1 RPGs, really. I was a kid when I played 'em, no more than 10 years old when the PS1 was replaced by the PS2. I completed a few of 'em, like the Final Fantasy games, but never really understood the nuances and character development like I should have.

Last year, I replayed Final Fantasy VII, VIII, IX, and Wild Arms 2, and I have a newfound appreciation for these games. I still have a lot more PS1 RPGs to play again, but I'm sure I will feel the same way.

Around the Network
JWeinCom said:
I played Final Fantasy 8 and hated it... I played it a second time, cause I was writing an article, and I liked it considerably better. Don't get me wrong, the game had HUGE flaws in it, but there are some things it did pretty well.

I played that game... 4 times and I hated it all the times. I love almost all the FF games but I've never understood the love it gets. For me, it has to be Persona 4. I dislike a lot that game when it came out, I sucked at it and I wasn't into that kind of games. Now I'm in love with it :)

Arlo said:
If I hate a game I'm not even going to play it once. I barely have time to play the games I DO like.

This.

Final Fantasy VIII - Just couldn't get into it the first time around, but it kind of clicked for me the second time around. Still haven't finished yet.

Star Ocean 3 - I was SO hyped for this game when it was first announced, I pre-ordered it as soon as I could. I think I over-hyped myself thinking it was going to be like 2nd Story, so I didn't really like it too much the first go round. When I lost my memory card, I came back to it with more realistic expectations.

I am the Playstation Avenger.

NiKKoM said:
Nope.. I'll always dislike Final Fantasy 13..

Meeee too...

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

I think I was feeling that with Earthbound. I enjoyed it, but kinda fell off of it. Once I got it on console and tried again, I fell in love with it, and finished the game. I think that was the only instance I had...

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread