By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is Nintendo doomed in Hardware?

Is Nintendo doomed in hardware?

Yes, it'll either go all... 16 22.22%

No, the NX will repair Nintendo up. 35 48.61%

Maybe? 14 19.44%

See results. 7 9.72%

Total:72

Now these words are not here to be pleasant, its here to talk about a reality going on at Nintendo. The sales of its hardware have been abysmal at best. All along the line, sales are DOWN. The 3DS in reality isn't selling like hotcakes, its selling roughly 1/2 the original DS did. Yes, 1/2!!! While that's still 80 million sales, will next gen just be 60 or 40 million? And the Wii U, well at this point NOTHING can go lower than this, not even 10 million after 2 1/2 years. That's outright disappointing at best, and a product that leads to bankruptcy of Nintendo in a worst case scenario. 

Now this would be ok for Sony and Microsoft, since they have many other divisions that make money, and losing gaming wouldn't be all that bad. However, Nintendo is ALL gaming, and that's the bad part. The only thing that's really holding up Nintendo in terms of sales is Amiibo, and that's not something to be impressed about. And as each day passes, the more I worry about the NX. 

Personally, I think Nintendo is doomed with hardware. The final nail in the coffin was the Wii. The casual audiance bought these things up, but bought almost NOTHING in terms of software. Then, they abandoned ship for smartphone's, the there was nothing in terms of core gamers left. At this point, 2016 seems likely for a release date. Pricing at 299 and being slightly more powerful than the PS4 could help, though I'd worry indeed. So what do you guys think, is Nintendo doomed in hardware, or will it repair itself with the NX?

Edit: So I just got this post on vgchartz, and this alone worries me about the NX console: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=205040

Around the Network

Yes, as always.

Quite the opposite.

spemanig said:
Quite the opposite.

What do you mean, could you please explain this in more detail?

Doomed since 1889

Around the Network
super6646 said:

Now these words are not here to be pleasant, its here to talk about a reality going on at Nintendo. The sales of its hardware have been abysmal at best. All along the line, sales are DOWN. The 3DS in reality isn't selling like hotcakes, its selling roughly 1/2 the original DS did. Yes, 1/2!!! While that's still 80 million sales, will next gen just be 60 or 40 million? And the Wii U, well at this point NOTHING can go lower than this, not even 10 million after 2 1/2 years. That's outright disappointing at best, and a product that leads to bankruptcy of Nintendo in a worst case scenario. 

Now this would be ok for Sony and Microsoft, since they have many other divisions that make money, and losing gaming wouldn't be all that bad. However, Nintendo is ALL gaming, and that's the bad part. The only thing that's really holding up Nintendo in terms of sales is Amiibo, and that's not something to be impressed about. And as each day passes, the more I worry about the NX. 

Personally, I think Nintendo is doomed with hardware. The final nail in the coffin was the Wii. The casual audiance bought these things up, but bought almost NOTHING in terms of software. Then, they abandoned ship for smartphone's, the there was nothing in terms of core gamers left. At this point, 2016 seems likely for a release date. Pricing at 299 and being slightly more powerful than the PS4 could help, though I'd worry indeed. So what do you guys think, is Nintendo doomed in hardware, or will it repair itself with the NX?

So since PS3 sold half of what PS2 did does that mean that its a disastrous flop? Because the 3DS to DS comparison is the same thing.

Sometimes, it's possible to spin the NintenDOOM wheel so hard, that it falls off and rams you straight over -- leaving you looking like a fool. Looks like you're rolled over pretty hard.

While people are particularly brand loyal to Playstation and Xbox now, they won't necessarily be loyal forever.

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

Their handheld business will still be fine for another gen or two (or at least until an actual gaming centric phone becomes available, which could be through Nintendo's own company with the help of DeNA). As for their hardware, there are many new ways they could approach upcoming gens so we should never count them out until it happens.

bunchanumbers said:
super6646 said:

So since PS3 sold half of what PS2 did does that mean that its a disastrous flop? Because the 3DS to DS comparison is the same thing.

Yes, it was a big flop. It went from 1st to 3rd, and lost Sony billions. As a number, 80 million looks good, though its 1/2 of the 160 million the PS2 sold. In terms of units sold, it was very good. But in terms of how many units it LOST to the competition, and how it fell to last place, and how it lost billions (5 billion I think) if was a flop.

I'm sorry but, Nintendo are very comfortable in the handheld firstly. The 3DS will probably sell 60m+ LT and their next handheld will do well.

While the Wii U is a flop, they made mistakes with it that doesn't have to be repeated with the NX.

Nintendo can be stupid sometimes, but aren't doomed. =_=

NNID: b00moscone

Switch ID: SW-5475-6755-1986

3DS friend-Code: 4613-6380-5406

PSN: b00mosconi