By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Rumour: NX isn’t Android-based, but can emulate Android apps

KBG29 said:
Hope this turns out to be true. Consoles and handhelds have to be just as useful as any other device if we want them to stay around. The major advantage is the gaming focused hardware, OS, and networks which make them the best place for gamers.

With Microsoft bringing apps to Xbox One, and Nintendo possibly doing the same with NX, this will force Sony to to the same with PS4 and PS Vita (and/or Vita's successor). I want Nintendo and Sony to fight back against ios and android, if they roll over and play dead, then gaming is dead.

This

Around the Network
KBG29 said:
Hope this turns out to be true. Consoles and handhelds have to be just as useful as any other device if we want them to stay around. The major advantage is the gaming focused hardware, OS, and networks which make them the best place for gamers.

With Microsoft bringing apps to Xbox One, and Nintendo possibly doing the same with NX, this will force Sony to to the same with PS4 and PS Vita (and/or Vita's successor). I want Nintendo and Sony to fight back against ios and android, if they roll over and play dead, then gaming is dead.

I agree, smart devices have taken over the world which means that mobile gaming might take over the gaming scene pretty soon as well.  If Nintendo wants to survive and get their audience back they need to change their old fashioned mindset and strategies and get with the times.

The partnership with DeNA, Amazon and Disney sound like a great idea to me, that way Nintendo content will be noticeable pretty much everywhere on smart devices, markets, webshops, theme parks and even in movies. Good marketing if you ask me, Nintendo's own marketing team finally might wanna retire.

I only hope Nintendo won't forget their core gamer fans and doesnt focus too much on mobile free to play content even if it becomes a huge success. 

Seems legit.

So, I will be able to play apps and games from my NX? Awesome!

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

BB runs android Apps like shit though. So does Tizen.

Around the Network

If this works perfectly, Nintendo will get a lot of "Console Exclusives" people always go on about in list wars.

I think it would make more sense to have Android as a 2nd OS rather than emulate it, but it's just my opinion.

Sounds meh... :/

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Having many full speed emulators day one would be awesome. I might buy at launch.

It sounds like a smart idea. This means that they will have tons of games available right from the start. If the emulation is done well enough anyway. I wonder if they will do it like Wii mode for Wii U. I think this would be preferable to using Android as their OS altogether. I was hoping that Nintendo would have worked out a deal with Nvidia to bring GRiD streaming to NX but this is pretty good.

Now all Nintendo needs to do is make a media player run on this and it will be a great all in one machine.