By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Are the "PC Master Race" days over?

pokoko said:
Well, that was a big bundle of ignorance.

Anyone who acts as though graphical prowess is the end-all, be-all of PC gaming is usually a console-only gamer who has no real clue what they're talking about and actually believes "PC Master Race" was a serious thing.

This week, I've spent a good amount of time gaming on both a home console and a PC. My PC is several years old and I'm perfectly fine with playing on "medium". There are some genres and types of games I prefer on a home console and some I prefer on a PC. I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH THAT REALITY. I'm not sure why ANYONE has push one side over the other as being the absolute best experience in all things.

PC gaming isn't going anywhere.

Yeah, some games are going to be better on consoles. Some console games will never come to PC. You know what, though? There are a ton of fantastic games on PC, more than I can play, and there are still games and genres that I will only play on PC. That's not changing at all.

You're sorely mistaken if you think that no one takes this seriously. It's more than a joke and PC is now open to more criticism for the prevaling attitude that anyone not gaming on PC is wrong.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network

Remind me again on what devs build these games on?

seriously though, I never could stand the PC master race moniker (or "Master race" anything for that matter).
But what happens here shortly when 4k is more widespread i.e. cheaper? The cost for a 4k tv has dropped quicker than even I thought it would.

I game on a console, because I prefer to play on my couch, while I could do it on my HTPC. I've always preferred consoles more.

Nem said:
Pc master race days never came and never went. Consoles are the most confortable way to enjoy most games. PC is a platform in constant flux that isnt very well defined nor does everything work perfectly.
Wich is why most prefer to game on a simpler device.

just to make sure  you're aware- PC game sales are way over that of consoles and it has been that way for a while. you might prefer consoles, but clearly the trend isn't pointing that way

we can argue all day and night about 'comfort' but obviously consoles are struggling to keep up with personal computers in terms of gaming- and that's not shocking when a new computer model comes out practically every year from many different companies, and even more specifically constantly newer versions of graphics cards and harddrivers and motherboards are constantly being created by different companies

it's inevitable that consoles get eliminated. what will probably happen is that the computer just absorbs consoles and in the future a personal computer is capable of streaming the games directly to your Television screen. frankly that already is possible and available just not fully accepted by the big gaming companies

mountaindewslave said:
Nem said:
Pc master race days never came and never went. Consoles are the most confortable way to enjoy most games. PC is a platform in constant flux that isnt very well defined nor does everything work perfectly.
Wich is why most prefer to game on a simpler device.

just to make sure  you're aware- PC game sales are way over that of consoles and it has been that way for a while. you might prefer consoles, but clearly the trend isn't pointing that way

we can argue all day and night about 'comfort' but obviously consoles are struggling to keep up with personal computers in terms of gaming- and that's not shocking when a new computer model comes out practically every year from many different companies, and even more specifically constantly newer versions of graphics cards and harddrivers and motherboards are constantly being created by different companies

it's inevitable that consoles get eliminated. what will probably happen is that the computer just absorbs consoles and in the future a personal computer is capable of streaming the games directly to your Television screen. frankly that already is possible and available just not fully accepted by the big gaming companies

That is not at all accurate. PC sales are big when sold at cheap prices (steam/gog deals). The revenue is not nearly as much.

And no, they arent struggling at all. PC is a difficult interface and hardware to deal with. Wether you want to admit it or not. Not everyone has time or patience to build a rig, nor is it a particularly easy process, on the contrary, you can mess up and waste alot of money.

If consoles get eliminated, its by streaming devices, not PC. PC isnt a player on this segment and it will never appeal to the console segment. Simpler devices that can stream will take its place.

i will say it again and again: it's one thing to develop a 4k 60fps capable gpu but it's a totally different thing to create a AAA game that maxes out said card. and that is especially true when new games are bound by that 60$ pricebarrier. imo high end pc gamers only have 2 options:

1. sacrifice your standards or wait till consoles and maybe even mobile devices catch up to your tech level or
2. get used to paying more for new AAA games

Around the Network
CosmicSex said:
I recently got a new MSI motherboard and a new graphics card. About 300 altogether. And then my CPU died and I had to get a new one. For me its fine, but for the average consumer, its too much money and too much effort get graphics that aren't miles ahead of consoles

A component of my Xbox360 died and I had to get a complete new Xbox. If it were modular like a PC, I only would have to replace the defective component, not the whole console.

0815user said:
i will say it again and again: it's one thing to develop a 4k 60fps capable gpu but it's a totally different thing to create a AAA game that maxes out said card. and that is especially true when new games are bound by that 60$ pricebarrier. imo high end pc gamers only have 2 options:

1. sacrifice your standards or wait till consoles and maybe even mobile devices catch up to your tech level or
2. get used to paying more for new AAA games

Or enjoy above 60 fps framerates in said game. Or enjoy above 1080p resolutions in said game (no aliasing to be seen.) Or download mods that enhance the visuals? Who cares if a PC game is maxed out or not? There are plenty of linear means to enhance the experience and use up your GPU power. 

sc94597 said:
nuckles87 said:

I built a top of the line, GTX 980 Ti powered computer late last year

Before it was even anounced or released? Impressive! 

There are so many versions of these damn graphics cards I get them confused. I just bought the parts to build my dad a computer with two GTX GeForce Tis (which netted me a free copy of Arkham Knight), so that's just kind of been in my brain.

So, GTX 980. Either way, still top of the line (to the point where I seem to be one of the few people having no serious issue with the PC version of Arkham Knight, anyway).

Vasto said:
Tachikoma said:
nuckles87 said:

I'd say it was never really here, and was just PC gamers being cocky fanboys. Really, it was no differet from a PlayStation, Xbox, or Nintendo gamer's feeling of superiority. The only huge difference between PC gamers and console gamers is the cost involved.

I built a top of the line, GTX 980 Ti powered computer late last year, and I've been unimpressed with it. The games don't really look that much nicer, the genuine exclusives haven't blown me away anymore than the exclusives of the other consoles (and far less than the spectacular stuff Nintendo's been pumping out on Wii U). I can run Shadow of Mordor at 120 fps: who cares? Had I bought it on PS4 or Xbox One the experience would have been more than fine. And on top of that, because I bought the game close to launch I felt jipped, because the game went on sale just a few months later. 

I'd be unimpressed with a make believe computer too, the 980TI officially launched in June 2015.

Back on topic though, I like being able to play any PC game from the dawn of games on computers to the very latest AAA blockbuster and everything in between, as well as just about every console from 6th gen and older (and the wii, too), all on the same box.

Something consoles can never offer.

Still laughing from this post. Nice catch.

I am glad that I can bring some laughter into the world every now and then :D

It's definitely not a make believe computer. And I'm not saying the computer itself is unimpressive. It's pretty damn impressive actually. It's just, running console games on ultra settings don't really do much for me. The differences are marginal at best. It's kind of pointless owning a top of the line PC because there simply isn't much of a market for games that make use of the extra power. I've been scouring the internet for games that'll push my card and produce visuals noticeably better than what the PS4 and XOne are capable of, and as near as I can tell these games don't seem to exist. I believe the game every website kept pointing me towards was Far Cry 4, which is just an optimized console port.

I can definitely see how being able to play loads of games (some illegally, I presume, given you mentioned Wii) on the same box is appealing. Personally, I've had difficulties getting emulation for more recent systems working, and I don't really care enough about it to try. At the moment I'm riding high on trying to find games that'll push my card, but as my card becomes out of date over the next few years I see myself mostly using my PC to play old PC games and indie titles, and just leave console games to the consoles, rather than spending the money to replace my card so it can continue to run poorly optimized games like Arkham Knight without issue.

The author ignores the fact that despite issues with some games on PC most games work best on PC. Also PC is getting exclusives from both PS4 and XB1 which the other two aren't getting. PC still gets the best version of most games.

But "Master Race" is a bit of a misnomer cause PC, PS4 and XB1 all have good enough multiplats and exclusives to be worth it among themselves.

Faelco said:

"PC master race" is the most stupid thing I've ever seen in gaming. I've always played on PC and on console (Metal Gear Solid AND Age of Empires when I was a kid), and I can't understand why some people try to say something like this (or they don't understand a lot of things about consoles or pc)

He does.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mv04aKBhZ9U&t=3m47s