By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I'm Making a Game! (Need Feedback, Please!)

Seems cool but theres already a high profile indie game called Distance.... How will you differentiate yourself? Wont the name cause problems?

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine

Around the Network

I like what I see but what about enemies? Is there monsters or something that can kill you? Is there a life system or health system? I notice that the character never runs. Is running possible? It looks pretty good I'm just trying to get a feel for the systems and physics possible.

Here is some real criticism that I hope the OP doesn't take too harshly. I try to be honest, and I'm more honest when it comes to my entertainment.

First off, cool that it's free to play and it's cool that you're making it, but I just have to ask, why?

Seriously, no offense, but is it to build on a skill you may want to develop further? Did you just want to say that you've made a game? Why?

The reason why I ask is; let me put it this way. My friends are aspiring musicians. Every so often, they come to me and send me music. I don't like it and I tell them it's something I wouldn't listen to on my own leisure time. It's a lot like other music, there's nothing original, composition is just terrible, no pacing, no direction, no theme. It's all a lot of free style raps with nothing meaty, just rhymes and things that don't fit together. I ask them the same thing, why? Why put something out like this and over crowd the market with shovelware? I go to Ugotgames.com and there's like 5 different variations of blaster balls. There are other platform/puzzlers on flash gaming sites, and I've played a lot of them.

From what I've seen of your trailer, and I know it's a trailer and it's not complete, but when I saw it, it made me want to say, "nope" right off the bat. There's nothing in this trailer that I haven't seen, a story that doesn't sound unfamiliar, the movement and overall programming seem to simple, music is good, I will say that.

Sorry, again, nothing personal, this is how I would be for any game being produced without any real reason why it's being made. You may have your reasons, and that's why I ask.

I don't think we have seen enough gameplay, but it reminded me of wonder boy on the Sega master system, but with less to do.

I like the music, but the levels look really bland and there doesn't seem to be much going on. Like wonder boy, it would be good if you could focus on one or 2 gameplay mechanics and make them as much fun and worthy as possible. :)

The art style and colors for the game clash with each other far too much. There needs to be some shading on the background tiles so you can tell what's an object, character, enemy, obstacle, etc. Everything blends together too much.

Update the art, give it some life.

Around the Network

I like it. Good job! It would be a really great mobile game.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Dude, great job taking the jump into designing your first game. I think this is a really solid first step, the music is awesome.

run away! 

Change the name, work on the sprites and work on the level design (what everyone already said). The part where you have to activate a lever and have to wait for the bat sounds boring... Give that guy a weapon!

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

Seriouly, its hard to give a good feedback based only on a trailer. In a trailer i can't say if the there is some lag on the input, or if the jump is lousy or something like that. We need a demo.

"Hardware design isn’t about making the most powerful thing you can.
Today most hardware design is left to other companies, but when you make hardware without taking into account the needs of the eventual software developers, you end up with bloated hardware full of pointless excess. From the outset one must consider design from both a hardware and software perspective."

Gunpei Yoko

Ouroboros24 said:
Here is some real criticism that I hope the OP doesn't take too harshly. I try to be honest, and I'm more honest when it comes to my entertainment.

First off, cool that it's free to play and it's cool that you're making it, but I just have to ask, why?

Seriously, no offense, but is it to build on a skill you may want to develop further? Did you just want to say that you've made a game? Why?

The reason why I ask is; let me put it this way. My friends are aspiring musicians. Every so often, they come to me and send me music. I don't like it and I tell them it's something I wouldn't listen to on my own leisure time. It's a lot like other music, there's nothing original, composition is just terrible, no pacing, no direction, no theme. It's all a lot of free style raps with nothing meaty, just rhymes and things that don't fit together. I ask them the same thing, why? Why put something out like this and over crowd the market with shovelware? I go to Ugotgames.com and there's like 5 different variations of blaster balls. There are other platform/puzzlers on flash gaming sites, and I've played a lot of them.

From what I've seen of your trailer, and I know it's a trailer and it's not complete, but when I saw it, it made me want to say, "nope" right off the bat. There's nothing in this trailer that I haven't seen, a story that doesn't sound unfamiliar, the movement and overall programming seem to simple, music is good, I will say that.

Sorry, again, nothing personal, this is how I would be for any game being produced without any real reason why it's being made. You may have your reasons, and that's why I ask.

I appreciate the honesty! This game actually started out as a test to see if I could stay commited to such a project. Further in dev, I realized I wanted to further develop certain skills, such as level design, and pixel art. Because of that, I decided to keep going with the project. I consider this game as a sort of "test run" i guess.