By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Official Metroid Thread - Samus is back!

Tagged games:

Would you mind if Prime 4 has more casual friendly elements?

Yes, it'd help open up th... 1 1.64%

No, it'd hurt the core gameplay. 3 4.92%

Undecided/See results 0 0%

Total:4
Samus Aran said:
Metallox said:

I need to know why. 

1) I'm quite terrible at 2D Metroid games, the boss fights in particular.

2) I didn't like the artstyle used at all. I know it's a SNES game, but it's very ugly for me. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island has a great artsyle and still looks good today. I like the artsyle of Fusion and Zero Mission a lot better (GBA is of course 32 bit, so more powerful).

3) I found the whole world layout confusing and the underwater area was obnoxious. I know Metroid is about exploration, but Zero Mission handled it much better in my opinion. You knew the general area where you needed to head to and the rest was up to you. In Super Metroid there's nothing like that.

4) I played it on the Wii emulator... Playing such games on a big TV is no fun to me. Would have been better if I tried it on the Wii U with the gamepad to play on. The Wii mote wasn't exactly a good controller for it either. Or did I use the GC controller for it? I don't know anymore tbh.

1) That's not fault of the game In fact, it's good to hear it, means that it could be a challenge for you.

2) Can't argue much with you about this, but I think the presentation is sublime thanks to the great isolated atmosphere. If you say that Super Metroid looks bad, then most of SNES games must look bad as well, as not many not tried to top Super Mario World 2's masterful design. 

3) Well, the thing is, Super Metroid is about finding new paths with the power-ups you currently have, it's not like the game has a strict way to go, because it rather forces you to explore to the maximum level. About Maridia, well, sorry for breaking your heart, but it's actually my favorite area in Super Metroid Because it's the place where you get the Plasma Beam, and when you start using it, you feel like a badass. 

4) Either way, Wiimote and the GameCube controllers are bad to play this kind of games, you need a decent D-Pad, like the ones the Wii U Gamepad and Wii U Pro Controller offer. 

So I assume Prime 2 is your favorite Metroid game *crosses fingers*? 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Around the Network
Metallox said:

I think he said that before.

Anyways, I'm not a fan of Super Metroid because I think it aged badly, at least IMO. The controls feel so floaty and clunky after playing Fusion and especially Zero Mission. I wouldn't mind a Metroid Super Mission :3

So I'm replaying Metroid Prime 2 right now. Must say that I'm still impressed by the way this game handles the cutscenes, when still in-game and stuff happens in the environment, like when you are below of a bunch of Space Pirates that are crossing a Portal, it creates in you many feelings, just like Samus would.

On the other hand, I still dislike that we need ammo for the Light and Dark beams.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

New poll :3

Old poll's results:

MohammadBadir said:
Metallox said:

Anyways, I'm not a fan of Super Metroid because I think it aged badly, at least IMO. The controls feel so floaty and clunky after playing Fusion and especially Zero Mission. I wouldn't mind a Metroid Super Mission :3

When compared to those games, it's definitely inferior. And yeah, sometimes the floaty physics are a bit annoying. 

Around the Network
Metallox said:
MohammadBadir said:

When compared to those games, it's definitely inferior. And yeah, sometimes the floaty physics are a bit annoying. 

For me, the gameplay makes the game. I actually only "liked" the Prime games at first, But I really fell in love with the series with Prime 3 after seeing how amazing the WiiMote controls were.

Still my favorite track in the franchise:

For my favorite boss fight of the franchise.

Federation Force doesn't look too bad. I don't get why the game got such a negative reaction.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

MoHasanie said:
Federation Force doesn't look too bad. I don't get why the game got such a negative reaction.

People didn't pay attention to the campaign bit :P

MohammadBadir said:
MoHasanie said:

People didn't pay attention to the campaign bit :P

Look at the amount of dislikes for the trailer! :O

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGu3Xe1uUUg

NNID: FrequentFlyer54