By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - being 'unique' has cost nintendo every recent generation!!!!

The truth is that no company in the console market is in a confortable position right now. Sales are lower than last generation and nobody knows for sure if someday they will be up again year-to-year.

Ok, the PS4 is selling better than the PS3, but this is only happening because the first two years of the PS3 were terrible. How long will its sales keep the current status? And the 3ds sales?

The problem with Nintendo is that they are not pushing development for the WiiU as they should. 3DS became a success after a price cut, several launches of traditional Nintendo franchises and some good surprises (Kid Icarus Uprising, Luigi´s Mansion, etc.). As for the WiiU they´re focusing on Mario or Mario-related games - with very few exceptions - DK, Pikmin, Kirby, Wii Fit and now Starfox.

They should take a few risks and develop other franchises like Animal Crossing, Metroid, Pokemon (even if it´s just a spinoff, like Pokken), Excitebike, Punch-Out, Fire Emblem, Rhythm Heaven, Sin & Punishment..... we all saw those franchises in proper form on the Wii, why not on the WiiU? That would not only please its fans but also keep their reputation as a good developer.

Right now, their situation is dissapoiting.

Around the Network

Wii U unique only for a tablet controller? Lol.

UncleScrooge said:
Soundwave said:

Yeah agreed. Wii did have that type of appeal ... 4-5 years ago. Today the "hot girl" is more apt to say "oh yeah I had one of those four years ago". 

And if they loved Wii Fit so much, there is a Wii Fit on the Wii U. And Nintendo Land. And 2D Mario. And Just Dance. And Wii Sports. And Mario & Sonic Olympics. It's not like Bayonetta is the only game on the system and most of the games I listed can be played with just the Wiimote. 

People thought Gangam Style was cool and funny when it first came out too. Now if you're driving down the street blasting that, people will think you're an idiot. And that's only what? 3 or 4 years old? The Wii is coming up on being a decade old. That's *ancient* in tech trends. The Motorola Razr was the coolest phone in the world when the Wii came out, if you carry one of those around today people will look at you like you crawled out of a cave. 

Of course I was talking about the time when the Wii was Nintendo's current gen system. Nintendo needs another Wii: a console that is mass market friendly, cool and easy to understand and that invites people to play. Mass market gamers have high quality standards (gasp!) so it's obvious Nintendo has to invent something new. But the point stands: A Wii is still way cooler than a Wii U. In fact four girls I know played Just Dance on a Wii just a few weeks ago and three of them are pretty ;) That's what people don't get: Most consumers have very high standards and they are not going to buy the same thing (or something totally different) all over again just because it has the same name on the box. 

Again: It's like you guys live in an alternative universe! I'd really like to adress these points but I have no idea where to start. The paragraph I bolded alone is weird on so many levels it would take half an hour to respond to. 

I'm not trying to bash anyone: I'm a core gamer myself and I enjoy these discussions. But outside of gaming forums people think so differently about videogames it really feels like this is another universe I enter when I log in on vgchartz. And judging from past events, what hardcore gamers think Nintendo "needs" to do is always what gets them into trouble. My girlfriend is 10x better at analysing the gaming market than most people here: I just need to show her a gaming system or a game and I instantly see if it's a hit or not. Hardcore gamers have page long discussions about totally irrelevant things or make up myths ("casual gamers! The Wii was a fad! Console are successful because...!"). I can't count the times someone talked about "cartridges" on a gaming forums as one of Nintendo's biggest mistakes or "the casual gamers not being loyal" to Nintendo. It is somewhat grotesque. And I really don't want to offend anyone, I enjoy these discussions and love videogames. I'll be in line on launch day when Nintendo's next console launches. 

And you can play Just Dance on the Wii U, XBox 360, XBox One, PS3, PS4 today too. That's kind of a difference. 

The other problem with this whole premise is women do play video games -- the just play a ton today on smartphones. There have been many studies that show women play more smartphone games than men even and are the driving force behind huge hits like Candy Crush. 

The Wii did not really have to contend with this for most of its main lifecycle now that casuals get their "I like to play 2-3 hours a week" fill of gaming in from their phone, there isn't really a need for an entire console in their life dedicated to play games. They just don't need it. 

Wii U has Wii Sports and Wii Fit and Wii Party and Just Dance too ... so why is that not cool anymore? Because the whole "Wii" concept is old hat. To engage casuals you constantly need new fads to keep their interest. Nintendo is not very good at providing that. They understand how to make a hit and then sequelize it for like 20-30 years, they did not understand that they continually needed to make new fads though. That was beyond them. 

Smartphones solve this challenge by simply having hundreds of a casualware titles ... when you have such a flood of games eventually something like Flappy Bird will break out. 

The casual market is just different, it's much more fad driven, like the pop music industry is. Nintendo is just not well suited to that rat race because what's hot today is not what's hot 2-3 years down the line which makes it a much more chaotic market. 

shenlong213 said:

They need more powerful hardware to compare with Sony and M$ , after that, they can "unique" how much they want 

Yeah and all they need to do that is to take heavy losses, sell some buildings, and liquidate many jobs. If they had the cash MS and Sony have, I'm sure they could've had both uniqueness and on par hardware for their consoles.

Hasn't Nintendo only had one year of lost profit since its forray into the gaming industry? If that is true, Nintendo is doing just fine from a profit standpoint. If anything, its Nintendo's warchest of IP and continual profitability of their consoles that have greatly helped throughout the years. The Wii was a galaxy busting explosion in terms of both sales and profit. The Wii U isn't Nintendo's last nail in the coffin like some believe.

As Shadow-Sam pointed out, had Nintendo opted for a different console based memory format, the scales would have been different. Instead, they did not, and they would not dominate like they have been until the Wii. There is no need for Nintendo to panic because of a console with porus sales. It does give them motivation to do better, but the Wii U has been profitable for them.

" It has never been about acknowledgement when you achieve something. When you are acknowledged, then and only then can you achieve something. Always have your friends first to achieve your goals later." - OnlyForDisplay

Around the Network

It has nothing to do with being unique. It's the lack of games that's the issue. The pad is great and most I've heard from those who own one is how great it is. If Nintendo would have used some of the money they made off the Wii to hire developers and increased their ability to create games there would mostly be no issue. Sure there would be to those who don't like the pad. But for the most part it's no where near the issue that some are making it out to be. Nintendo was under this delusion that just saying we are catering to the core was all it took to draw them. So they cheaped out in true Nintendo fashion. I understand that in business you want to make as much profit with the least amount of capital used. But some times it can hurt and they were to cheap for their own good. If they have the games there wouldn't be these threads.

TheLegendaryWolf said:
shenlong213 said:

They need more powerful hardware to compare with Sony and M$ , after that, they can "unique" how much they want 

Yeah and all they need to do that is to take heavy losses, sell some buildings, and liquidate many jobs. If they had the cash MS and Sony have, I'm sure they could've had both uniqueness and on par hardware for their consoles.

They do have that cash and they should use it if they want to remain competitive. This is no excuse.

It has nothing to do with being unique. It's the lack of games that's the issue. The pad is great and most I've heard from those who own one is how great it is. If Nintendo would have used some of the money they made off the Wii to hire developers and increased their ability to create games there would mostly be no issue. Sure there would be to those who don't like the pad. But for the most part it's no where near the issue that some are making it out to be. Nintendo was under this delusion that just saying we are catering to the core was all it took to draw them. So they cheaped out in true Nintendo fashion. I understand that in business you want to make as much profit with the least amount of capital used. But some times it can hurt and they were to cheap for their own good. If they have the games there wouldn't be these threads.

Aielyn said:
Raze said:

You forgot to add "most male gamers between 16-24 that frequent internet gaming forums hate this console" While the rest of the gaming world seemed to be perfectly fine with it, or learned to like it with time. It's pretty hard for the "core gamer" (read anti-social human) to accept that the Wii was such a succesful device, despite it's below par graphics for the generation it was in.

I felt I had to fix it for you. I know many serious gamers who are 16-24 and enjoyed the Wii and the Wii U. What distinguishes them from the ones you're talking about is that they spend much more time gaming.

(and for anyone who's going to suggest that I'm being hypocritical - I don't spend that much time on the forums, I'm mostly active when something's happening, like E3, or an announcement happens that I want to talk about. I'm also 31)

fair enough, I approve of those fixes =)

The Carnival of Shadows - Folk Punk from Asbury Park, New Jersey

http://www.thecarnivalofshadows.com