By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - VR is anti local multiplayer and it will remain a niche

I just wanted to make a thread about how bad VR would make local multiplayer.  It would ruin local multiplayer in my opinion.  Imagine how stupid it would be with a few friends or family in the room all wearing goggles immersed in their own little "world".  You can't look at someone and talk trash (that would require taking the goggles off).  The only thing that would be happening would be a bunch of people zoned out and talking shit.  How lame would that be...  You must look into ones eyes for proper shit talking.

Let us not forget about price... Remember 3D TVs?  Yeah those shitty ones that required you to buy special glasses to view the 3D.  Well if you wear glasses then I'm sure your fucked.  What baller out there is going to throw down 200-1000 or however much they cost (don't give a shit because never will buy) goggle accessory to play with 2-4 people locally?

VR is only for single and online multiplayer.  I wouldn't mind if Nintendo near tried that shit again.  VR isn't the future of gaming and if somehow it is...  It is a very distant future.

Around the Network

If local multiplayer was important, the Wii U would have a lot more sales.

And looking at how well COD is selling and how a sizable of players play online multiplayer, I don't the think the anti-local drawback is a big deal. Plus, apps to contact friends online and seeing them in a VR environment may interest people too.

The only big drawback in VR tech is the inconvenience of wearing a device on your face and the cost to own one. Good marketing may combat the former and advances in technology can reduce the latter. But I'm also skeptical about how well it will do this gen. I haven't seen any of the software or games that support VR though.

You must have missed Sony talking about how Morpheus is incorporating local multiplayer to its games.
One person uses VR, up to four others can join him via TV and controller.

http://techcrunch.com/2015/06/15/playstation-will-have-four-player-local-morpheus-vr-multiplayer-at-e3-2015/

http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/sony-adds-multiplayer-support-to-project-morpheus

sethnintendo said:

Let us not forget about price... Remember 3D TVs?  Yeah those shitty ones that required you to buy special glasses to view the 3D.  Well if you wear glasses then I'm sure your fucked. 

The latest Morpheus and Oculus models work perfectly fine even with people who wear glasses (I do)

OP must be angry at how VR could affect his PC and PlayStation experience.

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

Around the Network
Burek said:
You must have missed Sony talking about how Morpheus is incorporating local multiplayer to its games.
One person uses VR, up to four others can join him via TV and controller.

http://techcrunch.com/2015/06/15/playstation-will-have-four-player-local-morpheus-vr-multiplayer-at-e3-2015/

http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/sony-adds-multiplayer-support-to-project-morpheus

Exactly. VR is PRO local multiplayer, it allows the same thing as the Wii U Gamepad...

And I love how some people always talk about "you're not really with your family". As if everyone played all videogames in the middle of the living room with the whole family around, commenting and cheering when you play....

Headset ~= Wii U tablet
Result: local multiplayer possible.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

If it remains niche, it will only be because of price, or people that can't handle VR. The only negative I can honestly see is splitting the userbase up of haves, and have nots.

It's success or failure will tie directly into it's price. I was really hoping for an announcement during E3. Maybe held back because it would have been a momentum killer? i.e. XB1 reveal. lol

Tachikoma said:
sethnintendo said:

Let us not forget about price... Remember 3D TVs?  Yeah those shitty ones that required you to buy special glasses to view the 3D.  Well if you wear glasses then I'm sure your fucked. 

The latest Morpheus and Oculus models work perfectly fine even with people who wear glasses (I do)

I bet it still adds to the weight, and thats not confy. Hate seeing 3D movies just for that reason.

“Simple minds have always confused great honesty with great rudeness.” - Sherlock Holmes, Elementary (2013).

"Did you guys expected some actual rational fact-based reasoning? ...you should already know I'm all about BS and fraudulence." - FunFan, VGchartz (2016)

Sounds like the usual Nintendo rhetoric.

- CD-ROM is expensive and niche and too slow for games. Five years later: Oh we got our butts kicked by Sony, now here's our disc based GameCube.

- Online is too niche and not social. We won't focus on it. Five years later: Yeah well I guess we should make Mario Kart and Smash online.

- Game consoles should only play games and not movies. Six years later: How cool is Netflix on Wii, right guys?