By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - GOW:COO Bombs + PSP Sales DECREASE----WTF?

Its not really so much that this particular game bombed, its that generally most PSP games don't really do too well in comparison to all other systems. That's the sad truth about the PSP. The hardware does pretty well, but the software sales are terrible.

Don't call me a fanboy or anything (I don't have a DS or PSP). I've even boughten several PSP games and a PSP system over this past year (for my gf), I currently have Tales of Rebirth(PSP) pre-ordered (release is next week).

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.
Me since the games were revealed, the fanboys since E3."

Skeeuk: "playstation 3 is the ultimate in gaming acceleration"

Around the Network
smbu2000 said:
Its not really so much that this particular game bombed, its that generally most PSP games don't really do too well in comparison to all other systems. That's the sad truth about the PSP. The hardware does pretty well, but the software sales are terrible.

Don't call me a fanboy or anything (I don't have a DS or PSP). I've even boughten several PSP games and a PSP system over this past year (for my gf), I currently have Tales of Rebirth(PSP) pre-ordered (release is next week).

No , I wont call you a fanboy . What you are saying is correct unfortunatly :( Software sales are far from stellar , but CoO did extremly well :D

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

I completely forgot that this game is going to be bundled with the Red Kratos PSP, so I do believe God of War will sell 1 million, depending on how many of those bundles they make.

cwbys21 said:
A thought to consider, why would the "casual" gamer buy a game on a portable to sit in the chair at home to play it instead of playing a longer, bigger game on a bigger tv. When summer rolls around and people decide to take road trips or spring break and they are looking at a plane ride somewhere that psp is looking better and a good game like gow:coo could get some new life to fill those hours of boredom.

Then of course as mentioned the piracy. I realize a lot of those people wouldn't have bought the game anyways, but say that 25% would have bought that game, from the 200,000 downloads from someone's site, that is 50,000 sales lost plus however many more downloads from different sites.

Then there are people who would rather wait and get the gow bundle (and why not, it looks awesome) instead of picking up a psp right now to get their hands on this game.

Someone posted a listing of the average cost of developing a game on the psp in a different thread a few weeks back and the average cost (or so it claimed) for psp development was $700,000. Since this was a top of the line game you could probably put an extra $500,000 on that for a total of $1.2 million to develop this game and at $40 per that is easily recouped if this game has any legs at all especially since it hasn't been released in Europe yet. Yes I realize that Sony and Ready at Dawn and the store split that money or maybe Sony just gave Ready at Dawn a lump sum to develop the game and they get a bigger cut etc. but compaired to the development cost of PS2 games and the fact that GoW 2 originally started at $40 also it is not to hard to imagine that Sony gets the money back and therefore gow:coo didn't bomb.

25% would be a gross exageration in my opinon.  Let alone expecating that 50,000 to be first week sales.  If it holds trend with other media and eterntainment products on which piracy studeies would be done it would have virtually no effect.

I know that 25% was pretty high, I just chose it because it game a nice round number.

Around the Network

Sounds like a fine first week to me. It obviously wasn't going to sell as much as GoW2, and GoW2 didn't sell all that phenomenally to begin with. With the bundle coming, CoO will clear 1 million without much trouble, maybe 2 if they stick with it for a while. That's as much as I ever would have imagined it selling.

It was sold out in the first week everywhere I checked, and my copy didn't ship until week 2. So there's also the possibility that retailers didn't anticipate demand, and second week sales will stay strong.

God of War is a popular franchise. You people were just expecting this game to sell 1 million copies in one day. It is a true fact that only a very small amount of games sell a million copies(even in WW numbers). The reason God of War II has yet to reach the original's numbers is because many have moved on to the PS3 by the time the game was released.

I expected GOW:COO to sell better, but honestly -- what non pack-in PSP game has even made the top 10 in recent memory? Maybe Patapon did, but GOW is selling much better than others.  Even highly-praised games like Jeanne D'Arc sold pretty poorly.

The reason God of War II has yet to reach the original's numbers is because many have moved on to the PS3 by the time the game was released.

And because they're taking for-freaking-ever to drop the price on it.

Borkachev said:
The reason God of War II has yet to reach the original's numbers is because many have moved on to the PS3 by the time the game was released.

And because they're taking for-freaking-ever to drop the price on it.

Its already platinum in the EU , so it shouldent take long in the US :)

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!