By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Reality Check: B/C Isn't A Big Deal

Your Thoughts On B/C

You're Wrong, Game Changer! 94 23.50%

You're Right, Not That Big A Deal 186 46.50%

In Between, It'll Cause ... 120 30.00%

Total:400

At least we can all agree that Nintendo failed hard after a masterful performance last year. Aside from that, both Sony and Microsoft put up good shows, and I do think that backwards compatibility makes the XBO a more appealing proposition. I might have to finally complete the trinity this gen.

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

Around the Network

Idk of anyone here saying it's maybe going to win MS the sales battle. It's simply an awesome and free feature for those who already own or will own the console in the future.

By this logic, nothing Sony showed last night was a megaton or a "gamechanger". PS4 sold a lot more before those reveals and it will sell a lot more afterwards. Please stop being excited. Mods please edit titles for the relevant threads.

haxxiy said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Well MS is doing BC in a smart way. It doesn't increase the cost of the hardware while improving the X1 library.

Sony is actually doing the same thing now with PS Now.

Gaikai PS3 titles should have been free of charge to those who already own the disks. (AFAIK they aren't, right?)

Sony might think about it now. Or maybe a PS2/PS1 emulator...

Either way, I don't think much will change. Maybe a little in the US before Sony drops the good stuff next year.

I seriously want to know why its so hard for peole to understand that giving people free access to games they paid for (or bought used... which means they gave NOTHING to sony) is a good idea?

This isn't like netflix or amazon streaming -- which simply requires reading the media from storage. It requires an actual server blade to handle every PS Now session. 

As for the PS1/PS2 emulator -- I still think we will see it in our next big software update.

It is nice, but having backward compatibility or not does not affect me purchasing a system.

BC is not a big deal at all.

Unless they do something meaningful with it (like upscaling all games, higher frame rates, etc).

I had a BC PS3, I think the only PS2 game I EVER played on my PS3 was GT4.... and that was just because GT5 was coming out soon and I wanted to get myself hyped for it.

psn- tokila

add me, the more the merrier.

Around the Network

Actually this breaths new life into the 360 library. It's a good way for publishers to make a few extra bucks from their already made software or make it more enticing for selling their newer games. Some companies are already using it to sell their future games by offering their older games for free. So, this announcement is a big deal. It's consumer friendly and devs can gain from it too. It's not the concept of BC that is being questioned here, it is the way that it is being used.

PS3 with BC didn't sell because the console cost way too freaking much. The day that they announced they were removing BC, I ran out to buy one before I couldn't get one anymore. Believe me, everyone would have loved for BC to remain.

People just end up accepting what their Gods do, even if it's not exactly what they want, in the end. Why, because of loyalty. Some Gods take away and it's ok to their people. Some Gods give and it's loved by their followers, but talked bad about by their rivals to make it look like not such a good thing. Who loses? The ones that fill their hearts with envy and hate, when someone else gains something good.

VGChartz♥♥♥♥♥FOREVER

Xbone... the new "N" word   Apparently I troll MS now | Evidence | Evidence

Lets be real here. What if Sony would have announced BC? We would not have this thread.

LudicrousSpeed said:
Idk of anyone here saying it's maybe going to win MS the sales battle. It's simply an awesome and free feature for those who already own or will own the console in the future.

By this logic, nothing Sony showed last night was a megaton or a "gamechanger". PS4 sold a lot more before those reveals and it will sell a lot more afterwards. Please stop being excited. Mods please edit titles for the relevant threads.

Sony showed 3 true megatons.  Games that people thought would either never be developed or were vaporware.  PS4 is going to be the only home console to play Shenmue 3, TLG, SF5 (we already knew about this, but it was set in stone just before this E3), and, if the gaf insider is right, FF7 Remake.  A remake of the highest selling FF game ever.  Sure, it may not be exactly "game changing," but Sony doesn't need the game changed.  They were, however, megatons that will help increase the PS4's lead.

I'm sorry, but B/C does not compare to that.  Not in the least.  Unless you think Sony announcing B/C for PS3 at E2005 or Nintendo announcing B/C for Wii U at E3 2011 were megatons.  Cause I'll tell you, they weren't treated as such.  Now, all of a sudden MS is doing it almost 2 years after launch and it's "OMG, MEGATONZ!!" 

You are right that it is a nice feature (if they can get it working correctly and with many more games), but in the long run, it really changes nothing.  Someone who wants a PS4 more than a XBO won't be swayed by this.

sabvre42 said:

I seriously want to know why its so hard for peole to understand that giving people free access to games they paid for (or bought used... which means they gave NOTHING to sony) is a good idea?

This isn't like netflix or amazon streaming -- which simply requires reading the media from storage. It requires an actual server blade to handle every PS Now session. 

As for the PS1/PS2 emulator -- I still think we will see it in our next big software update.

I had a sentence musing about it being financially infeasible haha. I guess gremlins ate it before I posted...

Either way, your first paragraph didn't make a lot of sense at first. Were you defening Sony? The consumers? And it took a moment for me to wrap my mind around the apparent contradiction at the bolded part...

haxxiy said:
sabvre42 said:

I had a sentence musing about it being financially infeasible haha. I guess gremlins ate it before I posted...

Either way, your first paragraph didn't make a lot of sense at first. Were you defening Sony? The consumers? And it took a moment for me to wrap my mind around the apparent contradiction at the bolded part...

You possibly bought a game for as little as $5 (or nothing if you bought it used). You can play that game for 12 hours a day... 12 months a year... 3 years straight. How does that make financial sense for sony?

Streaming is not the same as giving you access on your own local machine. It costs them money for every second you are using the service. Xbox Style BC only costs MS the server space ... and the download bandwidth. 

You are comparing watermelons to raisins.