By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Reality Check: B/C Isn't A Big Deal

Your Thoughts On B/C

You're Wrong, Game Changer! 94 23.50%

You're Right, Not That Big A Deal 186 46.50%

In Between, It'll Cause ... 120 30.00%

Total:400

Well, all of the Big 3 have done their E3 conference (Direct for Nintendo), and it seems the majority consesus is that Sony "won."  However, there is a minority that feel MS won.  The main reason, in their words?  The ability to play 360 games.  As of now, it only supports about 15 games, but MS promises to roll out updates to support more games.  Even if it supported 90% of games, I think it's time for a reality check, this is nothing but a really nice additional feature.  Hardly the "game changer" some were trying to proclaim it to be.  And hardly a reason for them to be counted as E3's winner.

Now, if this feature had been available from the start, it could have swayed a few people, but it isn't going to do much this late into the gen.  Of course, if we look at the PS3 and Wii U, it's very clear that B/C changes little about how a gen will play out, even if available at launch.  The PS3 followed the highest selling console of all time, the PS2, and came with B/C, yet it struggled in the beginning.  In fact, it wasn't till after they took out B/C and were able to drop the price that the PS3 sales really started improving.  Seems B/C didn't really matter to those owners.  And an even more recent example is the Wii U, which also followed another incredibly popular console, the Wii.  And while the PS4 and XBO launched with no B/C, they quickly passed the Wii U's LTD sales in a matter of months.

The real reason there needs to be a reality check is that there are still people today, after there has been time to reflect, that act like the B/C was a true megaton announcement that may change the XBO's situation.  I could see that being the case if B/C was invented just for the XBO and had never done before.  But, that is not the case.  Instead, B/C will continue to be almost a non-factor.  In the end, it truly is just a nice feature to take advantage of every now and then to play some classics.  And/or to write down to support your side in a console list war.

Around the Network

One vote for game changer. Anyone care to explain?

I think it will provide a temporary and slight post E3 bump. Nothing more

I am Iron Man

Honestly I'm the kind of guy who transitions to next gen and go with the times. Sometimes I even ignore games that come out after next gen. Unless they are fantastic games of course or a series that I am a huge fan of. I don't mind hooking up an old console temporarily to play a game or some old school multiplayer It's annoying and an inconvenience but I'm not a lazy son of a bitch either. I can take 2-5 minutes of my day to hook up an old gaming console for some reminiscence fun!

Also I am impressed in the way Microsoft is tackling backwards compatibility. However at the same time I think it's pathetic that each game much be back-coded individually. So you need to own the game and hope your game is chosen or your shit out of luck. Hopefully you can buy the game on XBL or it's a wasted potential. PS Now may be pricey but is far more impressive imo! Pay $20 for a last gen game or pay around the same for a month of a library of last gen games? I think you know what the obvious choice is. Of course I am aware it is fully dependant on ones internet connection and is not ideal in many, if not most locations.

Ok... what does BC stand for? I can't keep up with all the acronyms people keep using.

Feel free to check out my stream on twitch 

Around the Network

100 titles in 6 months this ain't proper BC it's just the same half ass effort they had on 360. And this time devs and pubs need to give there consent. On the whole they won't. There remaster potential back catalog won't be given away for free. Hell I bet MS don't even have the balls to put gears on the BC list.

slab_of_bacon said:
Ok... what does BC stand for? I can't keep up with all the acronyms people keep using.

Backwards compatibility.

It would have been a megaton the year consoles released. 2 years later, its not as huge anymore.

Xenostar said:
100 titles in 6 months this ain't proper BC it's just the same half ass effort they had on 360. And this time devs and pubs need to give there consent. On the whole they won't. There remaster potential back catalog won't be given away for free. Hell I bet MS don't even have the balls to put gears on the BC list.

Gears is in the picture on the Xbox BC page so it will most likely be in the first 100+.. and they've already stated that most MS Studios games will be a part of it.. so...

Def a cool feature if you don't have a ton of money to get a console plus games, however this is only if the support it well. On another note did anyone else laugh when Phil Spencer be like" Now's the best time to jump into Xbox one" " hers backwards compatibility " like etc you giving me access to the games I can already play on my 360 but you want me to buy an x1 to do so? Oh but its free you say.....