By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is MS' Heart Just Not Into It This Gen?

I think it's pretty obvious that the Xbox budget has been cut. You're going to see less CODs and TRs and more smaller exclusives (timed or real) and things like early mod support (not even sure how that became a thing.). But, it's to be expected with the new CEO and the sales situation.

Around the Network

It probably will make MS up their first party output so it can end up being very good for gamers.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Honestly, i'd rather see Microsoft just focus on more first party new IP's like Recore and Sea of Thieves. They can still have the big partnerships obviously, but if having less of them means getting more new first party games from them then i'm fine with it.

HollyGamer said:
Their budget was to develop Xbox 360 emulation on Xbox one i guess. or maybe ported all 100 Xbox 360 games to Xbox One system and claim it's backward compatibility .

Well it is BC since you know you can play 360 games on the X1.  As time improve and developers and publishers say yes, they will release more games.  Not sure what your definition of BC is but this sure looks like it.

thismeintiel said:
I think it's pretty obvious that the Xbox budget has been cut. You're going to see less CODs and TRs and more smaller exclusives (timed or real) and things like early mod support (not even sure how that became a thing.). But, it's to be expected with the new CEO and the sales situation.

Or could it mean that MS did the numbers and paying for COD early access and other stuff did not sell more consoles.  You all do know that MS can run numbers just like any company and decided what are better investment.  If anything its probably best to take that case and develop your platform more than throw it away with COD exclusive DLC for one month or any of that DLC stuff.  Only time will tell where MS choose to put their cash.  New Boss, New direction.

Around the Network

The statement is false. If anything MS is trying a lot harder.

Pricecuts.

The variety of games they are bringing to the table. 

Last gen they only had like... Halo, Gears, Fable, Forza. thats basically it. This year, they have already announced more new exclusive IPs than they had for the entire 360 existence. 

Honestly I'm starting to think Microsoft is figuring out Nintendo's strategy of not just giving millions to these companies. Eventually, Sony will follow suit too and FINALLY 3rd parties will be back in 'their place' just like Nintendo did with them in the 80's. I long for the day that 3rd party companies no longer screw over fanbases (with timed exclusives, excsluvie content, dlc, etc) or brands (Nintendo).

Really I see MS as the one with heart into it.  It is easier to throw money at marketing deals. Isnt that what MS used to get slammed for?  Now MS is funding new projects. What I saw yesterday was MS investing in the platform and Sony either throwing money at marketing deals or asking the community to fund a project (Shenmue 3). Sony showing was dominated by a remake of a 20 year old game that is only a timed exclusive, a game that was announced very early in the PS3 lifetime.   Sony doesnt have big exclusives remaining for this year. They had to throw money at a problem.

We saw new exclusives, new projects and new capabilities yesterday.  
Yes MS showed some remasters yesterday with Gears, but also showed us Gears 4.
Rare gave us the collection and also showed a new IP.
Yes we got a showing of time exclusive Tomb Raider, but at least it is a new game.
MS announced ReCore which wasnt on anyones radar.

MS gives us backwards compatability yesterday and will be showing other new Xbox One UI capabilities sometime this week and Sony showed us a media player.

MS is not done. We know that at least Scalebound, Crackdown, Quantum Break and at least one other new IP will be showing at Gamescom later this summer.

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.

Maybe MS cut the gaming budget for Xbox. Given the amount price cuts the X1 has had, I assume Xbox is barely making money, so I guess MS cut the gaming budget. Or maybe Tomb Raider timed exclusivity was too expensive and that took all their budget for third party's.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

thx1139 said:

Really I see MS as the one with heart into it.  It is easier to throw money at marketing deals. Isnt that what MS used to get slammed for?  Now MS is funding new projects. What I saw yesterday was MS investing in the platform and Sony either throwing money at marketing deals or asking the community to fund a project (Shenmue 3). Sony showing was dominated by a remake of a 20 year old game that is only a timed exclusive, a game that was announced very early in the PS3 lifetime.   Sony doesnt have big exclusives remaining for this year. They had to throw money at a problem.

We saw new exclusives, new projects and new capabilities yesterday.  
Yes MS showed some remasters yesterday with Gears, but also showed us Gears 4.
Rare gave us the collection and also showed a new IP.
Yes we got a showing of time exclusive Tomb Raider, but at least it is a new game.
MS announced ReCore which wasnt on anyones radar.

MS gives us backwards compatability yesterday and will be showing other new Xbox One UI capabilities sometime this week and Sony showed us a media player.

MS is not done. We know that at least Scalebound, Crackdown, Quantum Break and at least one other new IP will be showing at Gamescom later this summer.

@ the bolded part: LOL, way to go to contradict yourself. Tomb Raider was coming to XB1 either way, whatMS did was throw money at it for it to be a timed exclusive. And if you want a true example of how funding should be, look at no other than Street Fighter 5, a game that didnt have the budget or man power to be made, and one that wouldnt have come until 2018, until Sony stepped in, gave them funding and man power to make the game and release it early next year.

As for the rest of the post, you realize that other than FF7, FF world, and Shenmue Sony announced 3 new first party games with Horizon, Rigs and Dreams right? and they rerevealed The Last Guardian. something i dont know how you ignore and dismiss, specially when you priase Tomb Raider.

Sony showed 4 new IP's coming to PS4 with Dream, TLG, Horizon and Rigs. each one VERY different from the other. then they also showed Street Fighter 5, a game that literally wasnt gonna happen anytime soon without Sony and Uncharted 4. then they also quickly showed parts of Tearaway, Until Dawn and Ratchet and Clank.

its fantastic, you harp on Sony for throwing money around for FF7 and praise MS for Tomb Raider. LOL