By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is MS' Heart Just Not Into It This Gen?

darkenergy said:
No MS are just more focus on their first party properties.

This is the problem. Sony just made Microsoft look like they cannot make first party themselves. Anything major and successful new IP they've created as of late has been second party at best. I told everyone that Sonys first party takes about two years before it gets going and I want my money now. 

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:
darkenergy said:
No MS are just more focus on their first party properties.

This is the problem. Sony just made Microsoft look like they cannot make first party themselves. Anything major and successful new IP they've created as of late has been second party at best. I told everyone that Sonys first party takes about two years before it gets going and I want my money now. 

This. Microsoft is doing a great job securing exclusives early in this gen like they did with the 360.

But very few of them are first party as only 5 of the upcoming exclusives are developed by studios owned by Microsoft (Gears 4, Halo 5, Forza 6, Fable Legends and Sea of Thieves). If people could see that Microsoft was funding new internal/in house studios that would develop several quality exclusives throughout the gen they'd be more convinced (at least I would).

Seeing how the great exclusives like Kameo, Dead or Alive, Project Gotham Racing, Dead Rising, Saints Row, Gears of War, Viva Piñata, Crackdown, Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, Ninja Gaiden, Fable 2 and The Last Remnant all stopped in 2008, many fear that the same thing will happen with XB1.

Mike_L said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

This. Microsoft is doing a great job securing exclusives early in this gen like they did with the 360.

But very few of them are first party as only 5 of the upcoming exclusives are developed by studios owned by Microsoft (Gears 4, Halo 5, Forza 6, Fable Legends and Sea of Thieves). If people could see that Microsoft was funding new internal/in house studios that would develop several quality exclusives throughout the gen they'd be more convinced (at least I would).

Seeing how the great exclusives like Kameo, Dead or Alive, Project Gotham Racing, Dead Rising, Saints Row, Gears of War, Viva Piñata, Crackdown, Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, Ninja Gaiden, Fable 2 and The Last Remnant all stopped in 2008, many fear that the same thing will happen with XB1.

Microsoft does not want to go the first party route with Sony and Ninendo or else their library will become less desirable like the first Xbox. Buy IP's from people and funding third party is the way to impress and they will continue is they continue down that route. They might not beat Sony but I feel they are releasing content where they stand for now, but Sony is coming to prove that they deserve their spot and not only are the proving that they can do with with third party, but most importantly the asset Microsoft lacks.......first party creation for new IPs.

Heart seems in it as much as ever. Seems they are damned if they do, damned if they don't with some people. Had they secured a lot of these franchises you're talking about, people would just say they are moneyhatting content and can't make their own games. They show tons of their own exclusive content and people say they should have had more big 3rd party stuff.

lol, why would they secure Destiny? I'm pretty sure Activision's deal with Sony was for more than one year.

Soundwave said:

MS is a much bigger corporation than Sony with much deeper pockets, what gives with this? I get the feeling they're just not that into this console business thing, don't get me wrong, they like it and they want to win, but really they're not going to break their backs trying to compete it seems. 

Even with MS' endless pockets. The companies that own said game. COD or otherwise. Could easily not go to MS and go to Sony. They can ignore MS, if they choose to. Or they asked a really high price. and MS said no. You can easily ask for a lot of money. And those normal 8 million COD sales. Would be reduced to 3 million sales. after the lose of the deal money they have to get back. Which then could be not worth the time.

It's how movies with huge budgets. Make a lot of money. And still fail. The budget to the advertisement isn't included into the movies cost. They don't show it to the public. So a movie that does 300 million. With a 150 budget. You'd think it did okay. But the ads in reality would make the budget be 400 million. They lost on the picture.

Around the Network
gabzjmm23 said:
its time to merge with Nintendo. East meets West. :D

Bill Gates would lose his mind, remember back in the day he wanted to buy Nintendo?

Budget cuts for sure. They could still do better with irst party tho, (they're not).

bananaking21 said:
thx1139 said:

Really I see MS as the one with heart into it.  It is easier to throw money at marketing deals. Isnt that what MS used to get slammed for?  Now MS is funding new projects. What I saw yesterday was MS investing in the platform and Sony either throwing money at marketing deals or asking the community to fund a project (Shenmue 3). Sony showing was dominated by a remake of a 20 year old game that is only a timed exclusive, a game that was announced very early in the PS3 lifetime.   Sony doesnt have big exclusives remaining for this year. They had to throw money at a problem.

We saw new exclusives, new projects and new capabilities yesterday.  
Yes MS showed some remasters yesterday with Gears, but also showed us Gears 4.
Rare gave us the collection and also showed a new IP.
Yes we got a showing of time exclusive Tomb Raider, but at least it is a new game.
MS announced ReCore which wasnt on anyones radar.

MS gives us backwards compatability yesterday and will be showing other new Xbox One UI capabilities sometime this week and Sony showed us a media player.

MS is not done. We know that at least Scalebound, Crackdown, Quantum Break and at least one other new IP will be showing at Gamescom later this summer.

@ the bolded part: LOL, way to go to contradict yourself. Tomb Raider was coming to XB1 either way, whatMS did was throw money at it for it to be a timed exclusive. And if you want a true example of how funding should be, look at no other than Street Fighter 5, a game that didnt have the budget or man power to be made, and one that wouldnt have come until 2018, until Sony stepped in, gave them funding and man power to make the game and release it early next year.

As for the rest of the post, you realize that other than FF7, FF world, and Shenmue Sony announced 3 new first party games with Horizon, Rigs and Dreams right? and they rerevealed The Last Guardian. something i dont know how you ignore and dismiss, specially when you priase Tomb Raider.

Sony showed 4 new IP's coming to PS4 with Dream, TLG, Horizon and Rigs. each one VERY different from the other. then they also showed Street Fighter 5, a game that literally wasnt gonna happen anytime soon without Sony and Uncharted 4. then they also quickly showed parts of Tearaway, Until Dawn and Ratchet and Clank.

its fantastic, you harp on Sony for throwing money around for FF7 and praise MS for Tomb Raider. LOL

Umm I did mention Last Guardian. It is the game that was announced very early on in the PS3 lifecycle.  It is tiring to hear about it every year or at least the press talking about it every year.  

Point partially taken on Tomb Raider,where did I praise it?  Had no praise or criticism.  As for Sony throwing money around I was referring mostly to 2015. "Sony doesnt have big exclusives remaining for this year. They had to throw money at a problem."  

As for Street Fighter 5. I dont consider a game that the publishers dont think would do all that well, otherwise they would produced it themselves a big deal.  

Yes they did show a couple others, but not the massive heart into infered by the opening post. The point is if you give all the praise to Sony then MS deserves it as well because they showed a great deal of investment and also have declared they are showing investment in at least 3 other new projects in a couple of months.

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.

jlmurph2 said:
HollyGamer said:

If that the case then they should have had all first party games available on Xbox One especially games that published by Microsoft.

They will lol :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPQuDyWULNU

Every single First Party game besides the ones you need a peripheral for like Kinect games. @2:40

Ok then, i just need to wait and see, because Xbox Original backward compatibility doesn't work that well on Xbox 360 console. So i have to wait before they show us and prove all the games running well on Xbox One with. 

( edit ) I think i have the answer it's not  real emulation but it's similar to what PS3 have done before with PS2 and PS1 games on PS Network. Xbox PR just gave some answer that the games not really running form the disk, they recreated the code and wrapped under Xbox One API. is like porting the games to current consoles, but without any improvement.

it's simple really

...it's not MS's choice.