By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - How to make football (soccer) popular in North America

What do you guys think of these changes?

Good idea. It would help ... 10 27.78%

Bad idea, football doesn't need any changes. 17 47.22%

Don't care/Whatever 9 25.00%

Total:36

Soccer shouldn't change because then the Americans wouldn't be able to compete with the rest of the world. And there is no hope for soccer in America because we like, except for baseball, fast pace sports and soccer is too slow and too fake and there are too many blown calls by officials that are either bribed or apart of some massive conspiracy for Americans to joy.

Around the Network

Damn...soccer...um, football, owns the world. Leave US alone to our Football. I think it's lame we're trying to send it to London and Europe as it is.

AbbathTheGrim said:
North America would gobble Soccer up if they would understand that a big part of it is fake drama. NA is big in professional wrestling so I am sure if they could see how much fake injuries and cries and drops to the ground by soccer players in the hope of penalizing an opposing team they would start loving it.

Soccer could have a starting target and be aimed at WWE fans.

Pro Wrestling isn't nearly as popular as it used to be.  Along with baseball its actually declining in popularity.

It doesn't need to be popular in the United States. It just doesn't. Why force something that the general public don't really want?

Bofferbrauer said:
noname2200 said:
Bofferbrauer said:
Cange the name of american football to american rugby. Seriously why is it called football if the players almost never kick the ball with the foot in the first place. It's much closer in every way to rugby than it is to soccer.

Do you mean the sport that is formally called "rugby football"?

From what I've been told, team sports historically evolved into one of two groups: mounted sports like polo and dismounted sports. The latter group - which always had a huge variety - were collectively called football. It's why soccer/football is formally called "association football." For the record, American football is technically called "gridiron football." Each English-speaking nation has unsurprisingly defaulted to lazily calling the more locally popular version as "football."

Wow, now that's really lazy naming. It's as if Each videogame would only be called Videogame with the name of the developer and maybe a number

Yes and no. What we now call soccer/football did not exist before the late 1800's. Before then just about every school in Britain had its own rules for its local dismounted team game. Since there was usually just one such game, it was natural to call it "football," even if your football was very different than the football played literally down the road. To go with your example, it's as if every house only had one videogame, so if I invited you to my place to play a "videogame" it might be anything from a shooter to a RPG.

It was only in the mid 19th-century that folks started trying to make the rules uniform, (my own pet theory is that this happened because travel was now more easier for teams and spectators thanks to railroads). It was a London based group, the Football Association, that got the standardization started in earnest, hence the name "association football," which was colloquially reduced to "soccer" by the British at the time. The story of why they settled on the current rules is a prety long but interesting one: I recommend looking it up if you ever have time.

As an aside, American football underwent a nearly identical process. In fact, the reason why you're allowed to carry the ball in American football is primarily due to Harvard insisting on a game that's more like rugby: the other major schools wanted something closer to soccer, and if they'd had their way we Americans would probably be playing soccer instead of football today. So even Harvard was able to contribute positively to the world at one point.

Around the Network
Chris Hu said:
AbbathTheGrim said:

Pro Wrestling isn't nearly as popular as it used to be.  Along with baseball its actually declining in popularity.

Except baseball is actually not declining in popularity by any relevant metric, Chris Rock.

noname2200 said:
Chris Hu said:
AbbathTheGrim said:

Except baseball is actually not declining in popularity by any relevant metric, Chris Rock.

Baseball is declining but its not something I or many people care about.

Chris Hu said:

Why is it that, even after I've been on this site for eight years, your sports posts are still the only ones I uniformly have to (occasionally) stop myself from responding to with an "okay" gif?

noname2200 said:
Chris Hu said:

Why is it that, even after I've been on this site for eight years, your sports posts are still the only ones I uniformly have to (occasionally) stop myself from responding to with an "okay" gif?

Also I watched the Chris Rock video about baseball and he made a lot of good points.  Not that I care though since I never been a fan and never watch an entire game all the way through too slow and too boring.  Soccer isn't that much better but still better overall.   They definetly don't need to chance any of the rules to make it more popular with a increase in the hispanic population it will become more popular over time without the need to change any of the rules.  Plus they arlready tried that when they had the indoor soccer league.  It did decent for a while but now its more or less a semi pro sport.  Most people prefer the standard version of the sport instead of the americanized high scoring version.

venomcarnage said:
When your done it's not gonna be football anymore everybody does not have to like everything it's ok.

It'd still be football though, just a more offensive type game versus a tactical game. I'm just trying to think of ways it could become popular in North America. Not like the game needs fans, but it's an afterthought where I live.