By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - XBO - From ZERO to HERO

more like zero to upstanding citizen

Around the Network

I was extremely pleased! For those who weren't, hopefully Sony or Nintendo satisfy their fans (I'm fans of those guys, too!). So far, it's a great E3 and I'm excited to be a gamer, again!

Xenobot said:

WTF microsoft?

I didn't expecting that. As a core sony funboy who had like ZERO intrest in Xbox ONE, now I'm:

1. Backward compatibility - WOW

2. Gears of War REMASTERED - WOW

3. TOMB RAIDER - pretty cool

4. RARE collection - WOW WOW WOW

5. CUPHEAD - f f f f f f f..... F.CKING AWESOME

6. ReCore

TAKE MY MONEY!

That list looks interesting from the perspective of Xbox fans for sure. But If that's the major high points I'm not sure how Xbox gets to hero status.

I wish people would stop calling it backwards compatibility. It isn't backwards compatibility. You can't put your disc in and just play. What MS is doing is basically porting 360 games to Xb one which seems like it will take a minimal amount of effort and making them available for download.

I did suggest something like this for PS Now way back when. If you put a PS3 disc into your PS4 and the game is available on PS Now then you could play the game streaming without having to pay. Seems like MS listened to my suggestion, sort of, and Sony didn't. It would be easy enough for Sony to implement this if they think it's worth it. Is it worth it to counter? This is a move to try to shore up the Xbox base as it is of no value to people who don't currently own a 360. It does certainly make trade in offers more attractive because you're losing less by trading up, so long as your favourite games you like to go back to are supported. One TV households typically don't like having more than one console connected, so it is a big draw card for current 360 homes. It's certainly important to shore up your current customer base before you go out trying to attract new customers, and that is where MS screwed up before the generations started.

It is the first time, I think, MS is ahead of the customer service curve.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

SWORDF1SH said:
Xenobot said:

WTF microsoft?

I didn't expecting that. As a core sony funboy who had like ZERO intrest in Xbox ONE, now I'm:

TAKE MY MONEY!

Just to clear this up, and question goes to everybody, is it now ok to have remasters and rereleases? I don't see it used against Sony as much as it was at the start of the year.

Since everyone is guilty of doing it, no one can criticise without either looking like a hypocrit or being willing to criticise their own preferred console brand.

What is interesting is that MS announces "backwards compatibility" at the same time as announcing Gears remastered. I haven't seen the first 100 games list, but if Gears isn't on it then it puts a rather ironic twist on the whole b/c thing. Even if it is on it, it looks like b/c isn't going to put remasters to rest on Xb one. 

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

binary solo said:
Xenobot said:

WTF microsoft?

6. ReCore

TAKE MY MONEY!

That list looks interesting from the perspective of Xbox fans for sure. But If that's the major high points I'm not sure how Xbox gets to hero status.

I wish people would stop calling it backwards compatibility. It isn't backwards compatibility. You can't put your disc in and just play. What MS is doing is basically porting 360 games to Xb one which seems like it will take a minimal amount of effort and making them available for download.

I did suggest something like this for PS Now way back when. If you put a PS3 disc into your PS4 and the game is available on PS Now then you could play the game streaming without having to pay. Seems like MS listened to my suggestion, sort of, and Sony didn't. It would be easy enough for Sony to implement this if they think it's worth it. Is it worth it to counter? This is a move to try to shore up the Xbox base as it is of no value to people who don't currently own a 360. It does certainly make trade in offers more attractive because you're losing less by trading up, so long as your favourite games you like to go back to are supported. One TV households typically don't like having more than one console connected, so it is a big draw card for current 360 homes. It's certainly important to shore up your current customer base before you go out trying to attract new customers, and that is where MS screwed up before the generations started.

What if you didn't have an Xbox 360 last gen and you want to play the games you missed?  Worked for TLoU:R and it helped me last gen when I bought several original Xbox games for the 360....

Around the Network
Xenobot said:

Borderlands HC, TLoU R, Tomb Raider DE, D3 UEE - got them all. No problem here.

Diablo 3 on PS4 was NOT a remaster. It was the expansion -- which in Diablo's case was a complete new version of the game ... not just plugin content. UEE released at the exact same time on PS4 as it did on PS3. Seriously, play vanilla PS3 diablo and try PS4 UEE... its like going from Windows XP to Windows 10.

zumnupy10 said:
People are overreacting really.

Some good announcements from MS and the BC thing really took everyone by surprise, but that's it.

Nothing really outstanding or that wasn't expected.

People are just trying to be quick to label their company the "winner."  Kinda funny that MS fans always rush to claim MS the winner when they are one of the first to go, which leaves a lot of unseen conferences to compare.  And I guess a Nintendo Direct to compare if you want to include that.

Landguy said:
I think the 360 backwords compatibility is a game changer. Not all will care, but that tied with the trade in your 360 program that they just announced for Best Buy is BIG. Hell, you can get an XB1 for $175!!!

I kinda doubt that.  BC is a great feature.  But, it has NEVER been a game changer.  Otherwise, Wii U would be doing great right now.  Or the PS3 would have been doing great from the start, last gen.  Instead, its sales really picked up when they removed BC and were able to lower the price.  I doubt it will lead to any real change in sales, especially outside of the US/UK.

d21lewis said:
binary solo said:

What if you didn't have an Xbox 360 last gen and you want to play the games you missed?  Worked for TLoU:R and it helped me last gen when I bought several original Xbox games for the 360....

You buy the Xbox 360 version for $5 and use the b/c function? It worked for TLOU:R precicely because PS4 has no b/c. The whole remaster phenomenon arose out of no b/c. If Sony had retained b/c for PS3, even the emulation rather than hardware, I doubt we would have seen a single HD upgrade for PS2 games. We might still have seen PSP ports like Ghost of Sparta and Chains od Olympus, but we would not have seen GoW I & II or the R&C collection or the Jak collection.

I'm glad MS has done this as they see this area as something in which to compete, which means Sony is likely to have to respond with making PS Now a better value proposition with some sort of b/c like service. If there is still a future for traditional consoles MS has clearly got an advantage with unifying its OS, because it makes Xb one like a PC in that true b/c should effectively be built into the system, just like Windows on PC is b/c/ with games that were released on previous version of Windows. It is certainly possible for Sony to make sure there is intergeneration unification of OS to ensure true b/c (at least with PS4 games) is a feature of future consoles. But if Sony is going all in with streaming then b/c also becomes a non-issue provided streaming is an economically attractive proposition. Playing legacy games is an interesting battleground to contemplate

Jimi Hendrix

hmm, well glad you liked it. As a X1 owner, I personally was disappointed but maybe that's because most of the stuff in the conference was leaked.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54