By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft should have built their own VR headset

First of all, I'm a believer in VR. I think it's going to do wonders in the industry. It may not explode right out the gate a la the Wii but it'll pick up steam and build over time. So far, there are three competitors in the VR market. The Oculus Rift, the Vive, and Project Morpheus. Morpheus is the only console VR headset while Vive and Rift are PC exclusive. At last minute Microsoft seems to have seen the potential of the market and instead of building their own headset like they should have , they're piggybacking off Oculus by bundling a controller and streaming a couple of games to PC. Whoop-dee-doo.

This does nothing for XBO gamers, it only helps PC gamers and they're so far up Valve's butt that they're probably going to buy Vive anyways. And before anyone starts telling me that Rift might end up on Xbox, no, it won't. Why? Because the XBO is too weak and Rift was built for much much much stronger hardware. Now I know what you're thinking. How can Morpheus run on weak console hardware? Great question, Sony designed that from the ground up to be compatitible with the PS4. They're a hardware company, and despite their many many faults they are a good hardware company. Rift isn't going to suddenly be redesigned to work with Xbox, that would take years and they may as well build a whole new headset. Which, is exactly what Microsoft should have done from the beginning. 

Now let me be clear, I'm not trying to troll Xbox here.

I own an XBO.

I want to play VR on XBO.

I want Microsoft to design their own headset so all the XBO owners can experience VR.

Thoughts?

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Around the Network

Hmm, MS could probably build their own VR headset if they really wanted to.

I still think the partnership with Oculus was a smart move, and I'm looking forward to how things will turn out for MS from this partnership.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Microsoft is working on their own VR.

http://www.neowin.net/news/irides-microsofts-project-to-create-a-better-virtual-reality-headset

kowenicki said:
I disagree. MS should support headsets that support Windows 10.

VR for current consoles is a dead end imo.

This.

They get hardware sales through the gamepads bundles without doing anything.

Vasto said:

Microsoft is working on their on VR.

http://www.neowin.net/news/irides-microsofts-project-to-create-a-better-virtual-reality-headset

It's a research project. Might never get made if they don't decide to pursue. Hopefully they see the potential of the market and go for it instead of using this "partnership" as their only presence. 

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
I disagree. MS should support headsets that support Windows 10.

VR for current consoles is a dead end imo.

I disagree. I think there's definitely market for VR on consoles. I just hope Sony can prove it. 

I think VR on consoles is lame. But Oculus is the hot VR headset right now. If MS is gonna actually go for it, I'd rather them partner with someone who's already established than try to do it themselves and waste time and resources.

"But Oculus is the hot VR headset right now."

People that have tried both the Rift and the Morpheus, say the morpheus is the better of the two.
Im not sure how that makes the Rift the Hot VR headset... its just the first one to market.

jlmurph2 said:
I think VR on consoles is lame. But Oculus is the hot VR headset right now. If MS is gonna actually go for it, I'd rather them partner with someone who's already established than try to do it themselves and waste time and resources.

Why?

Get VR manufacturers to try to support W10 on Xbox & PC and push the f*** outta accessories.
VR+Controllers, VR+Kinect and support them with software.
???
Profit