By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft should have built their own VR headset

Not the biggest fan of VR. Would be something I would mess around with sometimes, but it is just not practical. I don't want that thing on my face when I am gaming for hours at a time.

VR on consoles is a waste/watered down experience. MS knows this. Sony does too, but they also know its audience won't care.

Around the Network

I don't agree. MS shouldn't even bother with VR. It will only appeal to a very small amount of gamers and won't make them that much money.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

MoHasanie said:
I don't agree. MS shouldn't even bother with VR. It will only appeal to a very small amount of gamers and won't make them that much money.

Goatseye said:
Get VR manufacturers to try to support W10 on Xbox & PC and push the f*** outta accessories.
VR+Controllers, VR+Kinect and support them with software.
???
Profit

Neither Vive or Rift will have XBO support. A headset for Xbox would need to be designed from the ground up. 

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

This is like the M$ and HD DVD deal. M$ is only using it to battle Sony somewhat, but not really care too much about it. Make Sony spread themselves thin, while they focus on penetrating with their gaming focus.

VGChartz♥♥♥♥♥FOREVER

Xbone... the new "N" word   Apparently I troll MS now | Evidence | Evidence
Around the Network
pbroy said:
This is like the M$ and HD DVD deal. M$ is only using it to battle Sony somewhat, but not really care too much about it. Make Sony spread themselves thin while they focus on penetrating with their gaming focus.

But... this doesn't hurt Sony. At all. People who want to buy a console with VR have only one choice. 

JRPGfan said:
"But Oculus is the hot VR headset right now."

People that have tried both the Rift and the Morpheus, say the morpheus is the better of the two.
Im not sure how that makes the Rift the Hot VR headset... its just the first one to market.

Rift is the hot VR headset because its the one people have been buying and using for a few years. Morpheus was just announced. I don't see the public being able to buy it yet. Just demos.

Fusioncode said:
jlmurph2 said:
I think VR on consoles is lame. But Oculus is the hot VR headset right now. If MS is gonna actually go for it, I'd rather them partner with someone who's already established than try to do it themselves and waste time and resources.

Why?

Because its an expensive gimmick that a small amount of people will use.  But that's my opinion. VR isn't something that I'd want to do when I come home from work. I want to sit on a couch and use my TV.

Fusioncode said:
pbroy said:
This is like the M$ and HD DVD deal. M$ is only using it to battle Sony somewhat, but not really care too much about it. Make Sony spread themselves thin while they focus on penetrating with their gaming focus.

But... this doesn't hurt Sony. At all. People who want to buy a console with VR have only one choice. 

Yes it does. M$ showing Sony that they have some kind of interest in it will make Sony want to put more effort into making their product better. Pulling more money into the project, along with putting devs to work on VR games which has an unproven market and might not see much return. Meanwhile, M$ is focusing on making AAA titles with their studios and using their spare change on buying timed exclusives. Which are all for a proven audience. Their small role in the VR market is providing controllers at bulk pricing and making profit without really putting any effort.

VGChartz♥♥♥♥♥FOREVER

Xbone... the new "N" word   Apparently I troll MS now | Evidence | Evidence
pbroy said:
Fusioncode said:

Yes it does. 

No it really doesn't. Sony is already investing heavily in VR. They built an entire studio dedicated entirely to Morpheus games. They're courting developers left and right to work on it. There are rumors that Media Molecule (one of Sony's top studios) is creating a new IP exclusively for Morpheus. At the end of the day, Rift is a PC exclusive device. The only way Microsoft can hurt Sony in the VR market is by creating their own headset for XBO, which is what I want them to do instead of this rather pointless partnership.