By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Did the PS3 really have "no gamez"? Dispelling a myth.

So a common perception you hear on forums is that PS3 owners basically had nothing to play until 2009 or 2010 when it really started to heat up. I never really bought that argument. For the first three years the PS3 had built a pretty stable lineup of exclusive software. It only looked bad in comparison to the 360 which was getting a ton of exclusives and timed exclusives, and the Wii which was just a firestorm in popularity. Compare it to the current line up of the PS4 and XBO and it actually looks quite good. Here are a list of exclusives released from launch to the end of 2008. Which is where the PS4 and XBO will be at the end of this year. I cut out the shovelware like Lair or the NBA games.

2006: (launch)

Resistance: Fall of Man

Motorstorm

Ridge Racer 7

F1 Championship Edition

Untold Legends: The Dark Kingdom

2007:

Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune

Ninja Gaiden Sigma

Warhawk

Heavenly Sword

Gran Turismo Prologue

MLB 07

Everybody's Golf

Singstar

Folklore

2008:

LittleBigPlanet

Resistance 2

Metal Gear Solid 4

Valkyria Chronicles

Motorstorm: Pacific Rift

MLB 08

Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm

Ratchet & Clank Future: Quest for Booty

White Knight Chronicles

Socom: Confrontation

Disgaea 3

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Around the Network

So many no gamez that I didn't even have time to play on other platforms

Insomniac was particularly important those years. Evolution and two JRPGs helped too

Fusioncode said:

So a common perception you hear on forums is that PS3 owners basically had nothing to play until 2009 or 2010 when it really started to heat up. I never really bought that argument. For the first three years the PS3 had built a pretty stable lineup of exclusive software. It only looked bad in comparison to the 360 which was getting a ton of exclusives and timed exclusives, and the Wii which was just a firestorm in popularity. Compare it to the current line up of the PS4 and XBO and it actually looks quite good. Here are a list of exclusives released from launch to the end of 2008. Which is where the PS4 and XBO will be at the end of this year. I cut out the shovelware like Lair or the NBA games.

2006: (launch)

2007:

2008:

Fixed

See, no gaemz at all

2008 had some great titles, I must say.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Well it honestly lasted till MGS4 if I remember well, the catch was that in (almost) every genre one of the contenders had a better game... PS3 was also dead in Japan till MGS4. No games is always hyperbole for not having something that you could consier a must have. 2008 was the year PS3 price went down and games were coming and the Wii games announcements were started to get weak...

Around the Network

Not gonna read this for one reason:

Everybody knows its a myth and an exaggeration

Every game system gets this reputation thrown on them.

Even the friggin 3DS is getting this reputation here.

Just laugh at the jokes and play all the games anyways

It had games but very good games like folklore or siren bloodcurse werent marketed right by sony

I think the PS3 came out at a bad time for me. That was when I started uni, so the only thing I knew about was Ninten with a slice of Xbox. I often did here that the PS3 didn't have a lot of good games in the beginning.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Roronaa_chan said:
So many no gamez that I didn't even have time to play on other platforms

Insomniac was particularly important those years. Evolution and two JRPGs helped too

Haha yeah it was intense!  I remember practically only playing Playstation Exclusives for like 3 years straight from 2008-2011!

Prediction for console Lifetime sales:

Wii:100-120 million, PS3:80-110 million, 360:70-100 million

[Prediction Made 11/5/2009]

3DS: 65m, PSV: 22m, Wii U: 18-22m, PS4: 80-120m, X1: 35-55m

I gauruntee the PS5 comes out after only 5-6 years after the launch of the PS4.

[Prediction Made 6/18/2014]

I think the problem was more of the pacing rather than the number of titles. In America, almost all of those games u listed released in the last 3-4 months of the year. Take 2007 for example.

March-Motorstorm
May-MLB 07: The Show
July-Ninja Gaiden Sigma
August-Warhawk
September-Heavenly Sword
October-Tools of Destruction
October-Folklore
November-Uncharted

2008 wasn't as bad though.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.