By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo Wii U and PS Vita totally deserve what has become of them

Do the Wii U and Vita deserve the sales they have

No they deserve less 37 7.77%

Vita deserves Less, Wii U... 19 3.99%

Wii U does deserve more, Vita deserves less 131 27.52%

They both deserve more 184 38.66%

Vita deserves more, Wii U less 52 10.92%

Wii U should have the com... 52 10.92%

Total:475
hentai_11 said:
Qwark said:
sc94597 said:

They just did. It is called Splatoon. 

One in 3 years is nothing to write home about, two if you care to count wonderful 101 is still absymal.

3 if you count Nintendoland

4 if you count NES Remix

if you count Devils Third (not released yet)

6 if you count Project Giant Robo (not released yet)

7 if you count Project Guard (not released yet)

if you count Project Treasure (not released yet)

I could count Nintendoland, and it still wouldn't be much but please do explain why I would count a remix. And as you said many games have not released yet and this thread is upon this point which almost halve of the Wii U's lifespan if not more.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Around the Network

I think Ninty just didn't read the market right. The devs and gamers wanted hardware power and I think that hurt the Wii U the most while Sony just had no idea what they wanted to do with the Vita and left it out to die.

tiffac said:
I think Ninty just didn't read the market right. The devs and gamers wanted hardware power and I think that hurt the Wii U the most while Sony just had no idea what they wanted to do with the Vita and left it out to die.

I think it is also important to consider that Nintendo, as a dominant Japanese company, has been trying to oppose the trend of increasing development costs for almost a decade now. It was one of the reasons why the Wii was as weak as it was. Even Sony and Microsoft had to be quite elusive to third parties with regards to how powerful their hardware would be this generation because third parties unrealistically (or maybe intentionally - to rid competition) wanted expensive platforms with unrealistic specifications (hence the heavy downgrades in games like Watch Dogs and The Witcher 3.) Nintendo is just at the extreme end of this with third parties at the other extreme, and that is why third-parties had to abandon them completely.

Almost as a sort of consolation, Nintendo has been trying to change gaming in other ways than hardware advancement, and they put too much into the gamepad, which never paid off. 

So the two best games on PS4/XBO are two remakes from last gen (Last of Us and GTA 5) and you are trying to put Nintendo down for using old franchises.. oh the hilarity. So far It's my firm believe that PS4 and Xbone are selling with empty promises, they especially the PS4 have sold tons of consoles but the amount of good games are lacking. That said, the consoles have a better future ahead of them than Wii U but your statement is pretty ridiculous.

There's a few gems which I love (Ori being the lone game that would crack my top 5 this gen outside of Nintendo games) but so far I havnt gotten anywhere near the worth I paid for the consoles - I do own all 3 consoles and they have gotten a lot lesser playtime than the Wii U (though Xbone hasnt been in my home for more than a month or so)

I think it's a shame the Wii U isnt selling better than it is, it's a fantastic console with lots and lots of quality games. I feel bad for Nintendo, but mostly I feel bad for all fans with the blind hatred towards Nintendo. They are really missing out.

I agree that both systems bombing was likely a foregone conclusion...but for different reasons.

To be honest, I don't know if the Vita would've done much better even if it used regular SD cards. The director of Killzone 2 and 3 stated that Liberation was a near-PS3 level investment, which likely explains why so few developers did anything of that scale or fidelity on the device. Problem was, that was pretty much the only way it could have any mass appeal--Sony themselves trumpeted the Vita as a "console on the go" powerhouse. Yet neither Sony nor third parties thought making those kinds of games on the Vita was worth the investment most of the time. Nor did they seriously utilize the Vita's unique features that often--Tearaway was a real outlier in that it used the Vita holistically and actually made it fun. Thus there really isn't anything worth buying the device for outside of very specific niches.

As for the WiiU, it's a core centric console without the specs, features or third party support that makes core consoles successful. Iwata wanted the device to appeal more to the crowd that they lost with the Wii, but all it did was confuse and alienate the people they won over last gen. Beyond that, they clearly had no idea what to do with the Gamepad in terms of integrating it with major titles--many of which work just fine without it. Intergrating the Wiimote into key titles was never an issue last gen. That the software doesn't leverage the hardware in unique or interesting ways only made it less appealing to potential buyers.

Have some time to kill? Read my shitty games blog. http://www.pixlbit.com/blogs/586/gigantor21

:D

Around the Network
Mbolibombo said:
So the two best games on PS4/XBO are two remakes from last gen (Last of Us and GTA 5) and you are trying to put Nintendo down for using old franchises.. oh the hilarity. So far It's my firm believe that PS4 and Xbone are selling with empty promises, they especially the PS4 have sold tons of consoles but the amount of good games are lacking. That said, the consoles have a better future ahead of them than Wii U but your statement is pretty ridiculous.

There's a few gems which I love (Ori being the lone game that would crack my top 5 this gen outside of Nintendo games) but so far I havnt gotten anywhere near the worth I paid for the consoles - I do own all 3 consoles and they have gotten a lot lesser playtime than the Wii U (though Xbone hasnt been in my home for more than a month or so)

I think it's a shame the Wii U isnt selling better than it is, it's a fantastic console with lots and lots of quality games. I feel bad for Nintendo, but mostly I feel bad for all fans with the blind hatred towards Nintendo. They are really missing out.

That would be denying Bloordborne and the Witcher 3 exist and there are plenty of good games which appearently aren't your taste. Denying Dragon Age Inquisition, The Witcher 3, Bloodborne, Shadow of Mordor, Project cars, Destiny, Dying Light, Infamous second Son Killzone SF, The evil within and the standard third party games are not good games is not true. And even though that system is a year behind Wii U it already catched up it's library in 18 months. Not to start about the huge collection of fairly good Indie games available on either of the twins.

I own a Wii U and a PS4, yet I think the PS4 is a way better console with a library which could easily match Wii U's without having a drought each year and being able to play quite a lot new IP's. For that it deserves it's low sales and even though the same ol good stuff is quite well executed the lack of new games makes the numbers it has deserved, perhaps they deserve a bit more, but over 30 million would be an insult to the GC.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Dr.Vita said:
Qwark said:

The device itself was already expensive, but justified due to the much stronger hardware, but to add €50- for a bit decent memory on top of that was ridicilous, I also assume you missed the part about no support from Sony, how could you not if you stopped at the first sentence.

I bought my 16GB memory card for 20€ about 2 years ago and still have enough memory (and I do own 7-10 digital AAA games). 
PS Vita never was expensive, it had and has an awesome price.
PS Vita got no support from Sony? Just take a look at 2012, Sony supported PS Vita really good! 2013 and 2014 were also good years and 2015 is looking to be good too. 

wait you're not seriously trying to argue that Sony has supported the Vita strongly from 2013 to the present are you? oh my goddddd

Qwark said:
Mbolibombo said:

That would be denying Bloordborne and the Witcher 3 exist and there are plenty of good games which appearently aren't your taste. Denying Dragon Age Inquisition, The Witcher 3, Bloodborne, Shadow of Mordor, Project cars, Destiny, Dying Light, Infamous second Son Killzone SF, The evil within and the standard third party games are not good games is not true. And even though that system is a year behind Wii U it already catched up it's library in 18 months. Not to start about the huge collection of fairly good Indie games available on either of the twins.

I own a Wii U and yet I think the PS4 is a way better console with a library which could easily match Wii U's without having a drought each year and being able to play quite a lot new IP's. For that it deserves it's low sales and even though the same ol good stuff is quite well executed the lack of new games makes the numbers it has deserved, perhaps they deserve a bit more, but over 30 million would be an insult to the GC.

Not denying they exist. They just arent better games than GTA5 and Last of us. They certainly are the best games the console has to offer from this gen though, as for the other games you mentioned I really like Shadow of Mordor which makes the top 5 games for the console really good. The others you mentioned though... meh not bad but but nothing special, forgettable games.  That said, havnt played Killzone though but doubt that game would make me change my mind. 

just like you believe Wii U deserves no more sales than this, I could say PS4 doesnt deserve anywhere close to their current sales based on their game library. But I am happy for Sony that PS4 is doing well, saving the company as we speak. I like a healthy gaming community and hope that all do well. Everyone wins. Wishing someone less success is just pathetic.

Sony has the following sequels/remasters in development btw:

GoW IV
GoW III: R
Uncharted Trilogy collection
Uncharted 4
R & C reboot
TLOU2 (it was on an ex-developer's linkedin page)
Tearaway: Unfolded
Fat Princess Adventures
Gran Turismo 6

Yeah, Sony wouldn't dare to rely on sequels lol...

both deserved more tbh. i know Vita has lesser popularity due to mobile gaming. but the quality of its graphics as a HH and 3rd party in the west doesn't really create a lot of games for HH. Japan on the other hand is more into HH, hence both Vita and 3Ds has a good support.

Wii U deserved more but doe to hardware power and marketing, it ain't started well. lack of games + nintendo banking on Wii casual gamers didn't help. but the library of games is really great.