By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo Wii U and PS Vita totally deserve what has become of them

Do the Wii U and Vita deserve the sales they have

No they deserve less 37 7.77%

Vita deserves Less, Wii U... 19 3.99%

Wii U does deserve more, Vita deserves less 131 27.52%

They both deserve more 184 38.66%

Vita deserves more, Wii U less 52 10.92%

Wii U should have the com... 52 10.92%

Total:475
Retrogamer7 said:
The fact that they did not make a 3D Mario is disappointing. No Mario Galaxy 3 or Mario Universe. There should have been a proper 3D Mario sequel. I don't count 3D World. Delaying Zelda. No Metroid. Very poor Virtual console support. Yes, Wii U deserves failure status.

As for Vita, If you like Japanese games, PSP support, PS1 classics on the go, etc. It is worth owning. However, it's ridiculous high price, and the newer models having an inferior screen that has off tint color, Vita is deserving of only little more success than Wii U in my opinion.

Basically I agree on the Wii U side. Add no Paper Mario, no Fire Emblem, etc.

The library of the Wii U is very unimpressive.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Around the Network

I'll say this, Wii U deserves no more than it's doing. Why?
They had that thing advertised against the 360 and PS3. It is barely stronger. It couldn't even keep 3rd party support within the first year and it had no competition. They didn't give the damn thing a hard drive but a little bit of flash memory with games going up to 25gb... Logical of course lol. They cheaped out on it, and it's the main thing. I said from it's announcement, the name was stupid, the idea was good though. The way it's advertised showed it was not 8th gen battle material. The opposite of future proof. Games worth playing came after PS4 took the world by storm, bad choice. Now WiiU is battling for better sales then Vita, which is sad. Games can't save it, people learned from the extremely underpowered Wii and half the ppl (parents won't think of buying a Wii U because it looks like a Wii and name is Wii with a letter, way to confuse the world). Wii U has great games but it isn't going to beat the PS4. The biggest issue with the console market is. Sony has delivered every console gen on variety, new ip's, sequels, extremely impressive games. Proven studio's etc. PS3 launch was a disaster but the fact is it still outsold X360 WW pretty much every year despite popular belief. Like Nintendo's the god of handhelds, sony's pretty much the god of consoles. Wii did outsell PS3 but that's probably the last time something will do that to Sony's home consoles unless Sony messes up worse than that. Which I doubt.

That being said, Xbox One is lucky, ironically it's horrible name had people dissing and badmouthing bad choices so it was hard not to know it existed lol. Ended up working in it's favour.

Vita now, Sony has been pretty crap about Vita in general making it NOW deserve these sales. The beginning, it's ironic. People thought Vita would release at $350 USD but it was $250USD. Same as 3DS. Look on reaction videos, it was in the perfect position to beat 3DS, but as a reaction to sony Nintendo was forced to drop 3DS' price. Vita then all of a sudden has been overpriced to people because 3DS dropped it's price. I think it's public stupidity and devs fault Vita failed not Sony. Sony did try extremely hard. It had a amazing launch line up, with games like LBPPSV, Persona 4 Golden, Gravity Rush, Unit 13, Resistance, CoD all confirmed. But Activision snaked sony with half assed work. From a studio that just failed at a great opportunity to make resistance. Sony had Killzone, Freedom Wars, Tearaway and so on, but people being dumb thought it was overpriced. Now at this point things are even dumber. Vita is $200 with a game and memory card, N3DSXL is like $230 and it would still sell better and vita is still expensive to people. Yes 3DS is weak as hell and even it's upgraded version isn't Vita level. Sony did pretty much give up now. I personally got into the Neptunia and Atelier Series on Vita, so I still got games to play on it. Plus Ratchet and sly etc on the go. My PSOne and PSP. I'm doing quite good with mine. But apart from the fact Sony has actually opened a studio and actually got one game I've been dying for to NA, I can't be too mad. They need to prove it's worth the investment once again this year, because if they do E3 right for Vita seeing they said they don't have much for PS4 this year. It can make a turn around. In Japan it's doing good but that's it.

That being said, Sony should accept they'll never beat Nintendo at handhelds lol. But Things are pretty bad all the way around. Vita can recover to OK sales but it definitelty is like a 0.5% chance sony will get it going past 15mil lifetime lol. Wii U, it will likely pickup just a bit more so it can hit 20 mill at some point maybe GC sales later but no better than that. It's good games release too far apart to keep it consistent imo

aceburg0413 said:
To anyone who says that the Vita's overpriced memory card was not a factor in its failure, I have one question.
Did you do any downloading of anything? Nearly requiring an additional $100 drop to have more than 3-5 downloads/DLC on the memory card was a serious pain. I only own one physical release on my Vita, SFxT and I love my Vita, (Where else can I get my Disgaea on the go?) but I do have 15-20 downloaded ones, and I love the JRPG love, which would not be possible since many stores don't even carry Vita, well non overhyped ones, games a bigger memory card is needed.

To my beloved Wii U, Nintendo really dropped the ball during its first year, and are paining for it now. But even the PS4 is selling like hotcakes and they, themselves, are shocked as to why. Bloodborne and The Witcher are great games, the Order was just a glorified tech demo, so I think that the previous poster was correct in throwing in the Nintendoland comment on that one. Disgaea 5 and SF 5 are the only major releases I am anticipating for the PS4, both sequels.
I also say, don't count Nintendo dead yet, they have been in business for over 100 years, and in gaming for over 30, they obviously know what they are doing, even if they screw up from time to time.

Seems we are the only one who cared about the aditional €'s spend upon an already hefty priced handheld. Nintendo isn't going to die due to one fuck up. I forgot about Nintendoland and it deserved to be counted. But you're anticipating no new Sony IP's even not the last guardian or horizon? For me it's one of the reasons why I like and prefere Sony. Each console has a totally diferent line-up in the end. Sure GT and a few others are on all of them but quite a few stand alone IP's to.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

I don't agree with any of that, honestly.

Official Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Thread

I disagree. I think they both deserve at least 25- 30m.......
But it is Sony's & Nintendo's fault entirely.

Around the Network
Samus Aran said:
Sony has the following sequels/remasters in development btw:

GoW IV
GoW III: R
Uncharted Trilogy collection
Uncharted 4
R & C reboot
TLOU2 (it was on an ex-developer's linkedin page)
Tearaway: Unfolded
Fat Princess Adventures
Gran Turismo 6

Yeah, Sony wouldn't dare to rely on sequels lol...

Keep loling all you want. It won't make your point valid. Sony most certainly does not rely on sequels. Its success is due to a combination of -yes- sequels, but also new IPs, tons of excellent 3rd party games and best hardware available on a console (and let's not forget the brilliant name Sony has in the home console market, thanks to ps3 being well-supported until the launch of ps4). Same thing can't be said for the other companies.

RolStoppable said:
The Vita is actually doing better than it deserves, because if it had been a non-Sony system, then third parties wouldn't have hesitated to drop support right away. Weekly sales rates were atrocious everywhere in the world in 2012 (the launch year) and Sony themselves weren't showing signs that they want to keep this system going (first party support dwindled).

As for the Wii U, while it's commendable that Nintendo didn't drop support for such a disaster, it's still an absolutely deserved failure for doing a complete 180 after the Wii's success.

Nintendo doesn't have a choise now do they, if the y pull of a vita, they don't even have to bother releasing the NX. Even though clear signs are given that a second 3dmario or Zelda aren't coming and they try to keep dev costs low with 2d platformers and smaller colourful games which have a low intensity on the graphic department. Neither do they give orders to third party for making new games like those where made for the Wii, so it's doing what it has to. But it isn't going fully charged in making some sort of succes out of the Wii U either and trying to make that must own game for it. A 3D pokemon adventure could perhaps have generated the hype for making the Wii U sell 5.000.000 units in a year. Something like Horizon (such an awesome concept) could perhaps also ensure gamers to want a Wii U.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

RolStoppable said:

As for the Wii U, while it's commendable that Nintendo didn't drop support for such a disaster, it's still an absolutely deserved failure for doing a complete 180 after the Wii's success.

I don't see that as a complete 180, but just curious, what would, in your opinion, a better strategy be?

RolStoppable said:
naruball said:

I don't see that as a complete 180, but just curious, what would, in your opinion, a better strategy be?

If you made a product that people liked, then you build on it for your next product. If you made a product that people didn't like, then you change what you are doing.

The Wii was Nintendo's bestselling home console, so people obviously liked it. But the Wii's primary controller became the tertiary controller for the Wii U; not only that, it didn't even see any improvements. Essentially, it was Nintendo saying: "You liked the Wii? Tough luck, we don't care anymore." This change in controllers is very similar to what happened during the GameCube to Wii transition. The GC controller was still supported, but it was a tertiary option. However, that was okay because the GC was a product that people didn't like.

Er, that's all? The controller? You honestly think that had they not introduced the new controller it would magically sell 100m? Yes, you didn't say that. I'm asking. That's the only mistake you mentioned and you refer to it as a 180.

For me the new controller/tablet is the epitome of continuing what made wii successful. A controller that could sell the system, which is pretty much what wiimotes did even if *everyone* hated them when they were revealed. Problem is lightning doesn't strike twice. So releasing another hugely successful system was unlikely, unless they could find a new gimmick (for the record, I loved motion controls). The excitement over motionl controls died well before wiiu was released. The was no chance the wiiu would have done as well as wii with the same controllers.

I've always been amazed how much 3rd party support the Vita got. Sony may not have supported it themselves but they were able to convince a lot of Japanese 3rd partied to jump on board.

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!