Forums - Sales Discussion - How would a $250 PS4 fair against a $250 Wii

Who would be winning in LTD sales in their respective time periods

PS4 146 70.53%

Wii 43 20.77%

See Results 18 8.70%

Total:207
mornelithe said:
Cobretti2 said:

Weren't they already selling the PS3 at a $100 loss because of the BluRay drive. Add todays tech to it back then it be closer to $250 per unit i'd say

Actually, it was way more than that.  They lost $241.35 for every 60g, and $306.85 for the smaller one.  However, I think it would ultimately be less costly than the PS3, if they were to do a $250 model.  They've moved away from the Cell and XRD Ram, which were two new technologies at the time, and helped increase the costs on the machine along with the BR drive.  Now that Blu Ray is an industry standard technology, it's no longer even remotely as expensive as it once was.  The processor and RAM they use for the machines (the 8g of DDR5, and the 256mb of DDR3) are both widely used tech at the moment, so prices aren't high.  Frankly, I doubt it's possible for the PS4 to lose as much as the Ps3 did per unit at a $250 price point.

unless I misread  the post, I think it was refering to PS4 releasing for $250 back in the day against the Wii in 2006.

If that was the case all the components you speak of would have been very pricy in 2006. Hell the video card didn't even exist lol.

Around the Network
Cobretti2 said:
mornelithe said:

Actually, it was way more than that.  They lost $241.35 for every 60g, and $306.85 for the smaller one.  However, I think it would ultimately be less costly than the PS3, if they were to do a $250 model.  They've moved away from the Cell and XRD Ram, which were two new technologies at the time, and helped increase the costs on the machine along with the BR drive.  Now that Blu Ray is an industry standard technology, it's no longer even remotely as expensive as it once was.  The processor and RAM they use for the machines (the 8g of DDR5, and the 256mb of DDR3) are both widely used tech at the moment, so prices aren't high.  Frankly, I doubt it's possible for the PS4 to lose as much as the Ps3 did per unit at a $250 price point.

unless I misread  the post, I think it was refering to PS4 releasing for $250 back in the day against the Wii in 2006.

If that was the case all the components you speak of would have been very pricy in 2006. Hell the video card didn't even exist lol.

Then the entire point of the thread is stupid and idiotic, is what you're saying?  lol.  Hey why not compare the cost of a Bugatti Veyron to that of a Ford Model T, back in 1908.  

Sony would be bankrupt. They would lose even more money than they would have with the PS3 and would be dead by 2008. Nintendo would still be banking billions and would have gotten tons more 3rd party support because Sony would be dead.

Unless OP is referring to just PS4 launching in 2013 at $250. They would still be around, but would be posting crazy losses. It would be the second coming of PS3 and be a disaster. They would be in trouble now.

PS4: 1 birrion consols sold